ballpark sum for fret dress?

What's Hot
grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
Never had one done before but got a guitar that needs it so any ballpark figure for a full fret dress would be helpful.

Suppose I could give it a go myself but that could turn it into a refret knowing my luck!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Depends, I've paid £80 and more. Some fret dressers definitely are better than others, so do your research beforehand.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    Thanks
  • Why did I read this thread title as ...my frets need a dress for the ball.....

• I paid 110 at mansions, Exeter which included new bone nut and full setup.

Cheers guys!
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    What kind of guitar is it grungebob? I seem to remember you live near Grimsby? where I reside (I was contemplating buying that Pacifica you had for sale). I have been doing my own fret level/dress/setup work for a while now - 7 of my own guitars, 1 for someone else, with IMO excellent results. But I could show you guitars I've done if you wanted to judge that for yourself, and could do the work for say £35? Just in case of interest anyway, cheers! :)
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7751
    I charge £80, including post fret dress setup.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    edited December 2013
    It's the westone Prestige Cutlass after giving it a clean and tried the setup I wouldn't want to sell it in its present state. Once I've bought the Amp I need at the we I'll know what funds are left and look into it more and let you guys know. @Paul_c what's your location please?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    edited December 2013
    Paul_C said:
    I charge £50 to £80 depending on whether the fingerboard needs to be cleaned, sharp fret ends tidied up etc, if strings are included, and of course including the set-up.

What puzzles me is anyone who offers to do a fret dress *without* then setting the guitar up! You can't. It's just part of the job… even if it was set up perfectly before it will still need checking and probably a minor tweak, which is almost the same work as a set-up anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I can without reservation recommend Megii as a tech for a fret dress. He did one of my guitars and it is perfect. 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7751
    ICBM said:
    Paul_C said:
    I charge £50 to £80 depending on whether the fingerboard needs to be cleaned, sharp fret ends tidied up etc, if strings are included, and of course including the set-up.

What puzzles me is anyone who offers to do a fret dress *without* then setting the guitar up! You can't. It's just part of the job… even if it was set up perfectly before it will still need checking and probably a minor tweak, which is almost the same work as a set-up anyway.
    I agree - I always used to do it, but not mention that the price included it, these days I do :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • It's important to differentiate between a fret dress and a full fret level, crown and dress (which I'm sure is what @grungebob is after).

Dressing frets could mean simply polishing them, maybe rolling off the fret ends, the final stage of a full job. 

For a fret level, depending on the job, some work on the nut could well be required. 

I don't know why anybody wouldn't do a fret dress (polish) themselves, but techs do seem to offer that service. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ah @streethawk see you have something there, yeah I seem to have my terminology wrong then,to just profile the ends and polish them I can and have done, but yeah this Guitar needs a fret level desperately it would seem.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13566
    I paid 110 at mansions, Exeter which included new bone nut and full setup.
    is that the bigger posher store ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    By a 'fret dress' I would always mean a full level, crown and polish. Anything less is just a polish, really - and is only useful if the guitar is new and hasn't been finished properly. By the time it's had playing wear on it it will need a level and crown to do the job properly, however light.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited December 2013
    Disgusted and outraged at the carefree attitude towards semantics on this site.

All members reported and blocked. 

(semantic protection league. 2014).
  • It's important to differentiate between a fret dress and a full fret level, crown and dress (which I'm sure is what @grungebob is after).

Dressing frets could mean simply polishing them, maybe rolling off the fret ends, the final stage of a full job. 

For a fret level, depending on the job, some work on the nut could well be required. 

I don't know why anybody wouldn't do a fret dress (polish) themselves, but techs do seem to offer that service. 

I can assure you that the job Megii did on mine was a proper level and dress. The guitar plays like a dream now. Hey, it sounds like I'm advertising, but he really did do a great job!
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    edited December 2013
    grungebob said:
    It's the westone Prestige Cutlass after giving it a clean and tried the setup I wouldn't want to sell it in its present state. Once I've bought the Amp I need at the we I'll know what funds are left and look into it more and let you guys know. @Paul_c what's your location please?

It's important to differentiate between a fret dress and a full fret level, crown and dress (which I'm sure is what @grungebob is after).

I can assure you that the job Megii did on mine was a proper level and dress. The guitar plays like a dream now. Hey, it sounds like I'm advertising, but he really did do a great job!
    lol, it was indeed a full fret level, re-crown, dress and setup, including work on the nut slots, and thanks for the thumbs up 23rd! :)
  • TheCurefanTheCurefan Frets: 3
    edited December 2013
    bertie said:
    I paid 110 at mansions, Exeter which included new bone nut and full setup.
    is that the bigger posher store ?

It is, took me ages to find my way around.....

• My LTD should get a fret dress.  I have notched frets, and my 17th-24th frets are now miles higher than the rest...

In fairness, it's had about 7 years of non stop playing.  :) 

It doesn't play bad though.  It could use a fret dress, but the plan is to build my next guitar, then get both fret dressed at the same time.