Something new for PRS guitarists and non PRS guitarists

What's Hot
andypwudtoneandypwudtone Frets: 287
edited January 2016 in Made in the UK
If you not aware Wudtone have released the PRS DD upgrade. Few will believe such a difference is possible,  but it is real. 

You can hear before /after and what a guitar sounds like fitted with one in the videos below. Roll on the discovery of some real PRS signature tone!

The guitar featured in the video was quite anemic looking and so for a bit of an experiment we are re-finishing it with some super high intensity colour fades using the Wudtone deep colour coats. results so far after one colour coat. 

( I really don't like seeing good guitars lathered with poly!)  so thought you guys might be interested. Will probably have this guitar on our stand at the Guitar Show in Birmingham. kind regards

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Phew! For one moment I thought you were responsible for that colour scheme.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    Have you taken off all the poly and the original finish and then rubbed those new colours on to the wood?
    I've got a sunburst ce22 that I dont really like the colour of, but im guessing it would be a lot of expensive work to do the above?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andypwudtoneandypwudtone Frets: 287
    edited January 2016
    Hi @DefaultM , thank you for your interest. The guitar originally looked like 

It was bought originally to help produce the recent before / after  Wudtone PRS DD videos above and then to enjoy, take to shows etc.  It is a very nicely made example of a PRS and even has a ( i'm told reasonably rare)  single piece maple cap. Imported it from the USA it wasn't a lot of money , I do think, partly because it was too anaemic looking for some PRS customer tastes.   

SO yes off came the poly which brought us to some lovely bare maple and so we have used Wudtone deep colour coats. We've been winging it completely, just to add some drama, make it more visually interesting, ( although no doubt repulsive to some)  unique and so perhaps , who knows, attract other interested PRS parties, which may help us point towards the main event for PRS guitarists. Those in search of the signature tone of their PRS, which you finally get by fitting a WUDTONE PRS DD bridge upgrade! 

In reality if your PRS is hand coloured with dyes already, it is unlikely such a colour transformation is possible, because even when you have got the thick and very hard poly off you may still need to cut some way into the wood to deal with any dye penetration. However, if the colours were applied with tinted sprays ( which is likely to be the case with lower costs mass produced bursts), you have more chance. kind regards

• andypwudtoneandypwudtone Frets: 287
    edited January 2016
    Here is a before/after, only a bit more top coating / levelling to do . I added the retro Billy Gibbons esque fine line as an after thought and it helped separate the colours on the upper horn. Could have gone a bit more curvy with the pos of the fine line though. What doi you chaps think?

Have had quite a few enquiries about how it was done, could it be done to mine etc. So may have possibly just added to the value of all natural look PRS's ! Should look OK when the Wudtone PRS DD bridge is back on etc, but what about the knobs? I keep accidentally backing the throttle off in the throes of the extra dynamic ecstasy , so some slightly smaller dia slippery coloured maple things might be in order. 

kind regards   

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2016
    Just wondering who the customer base is for this one...

Bungle? Jeffery? Zippy?

I'm sorry to be blunt but in the interests of product feedback the natural left hand one is lovely, but the one on the right.........well I'm sure it wasn't easy to do..... and it was you who used the word repulsive, not me.

2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hello @Gassage I see you've been extra busy insulting all you can with a range of comments tonight, nice, kind regards
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2016
    @andypwudtone

You're here testing and promoting your products.

Would you prefer I lie?

The truth is simple - when you first posted the pics, I assumed it was the bridge assembly that was the innovation and you were promoting that, and that's god's honest truth. I genuinely would never think anyone would finish a guitar like that.

Then it dawned on me you'd actually done it, but it was some time after the first post.

If you're insulted, so be it. People take the piss out of my cornish gear like there's no tomorrow but I laugh along with it and it doesn't bother me.

But my point remains- I genuinely thought it was the bridge you were promoting, not the finish.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Gassage I know a few girls called Stevie. They would be insulted at being called a dyke because of their name.  Can you understand that?

edited January 2016
    @Gassage I know a few girls called Stevie. They would be insulted at being called a dyke because of their name.  Can you understand that?

Yup, but it was obviously a joke and it was obviously in response to @randomhandclaps contiguous joke about Lindsey.  Exactly the same as I will joke about my own sexuality, live up to stereotypes when they are miles away from the real me and have a sense of perspective about it and will laugh about the cliches.

Can YOU understand that?

Or are you trying to, rather pathetically, score points because I dislike your guitar finish?

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26464
    edited January 2016
    @Gassage I know a few girls called Stevie. They would be insulted at being called a dyke because of their name.  Can you understand that?

To be fair, I think @Gassage knows a lot more dykes (quoted in context) than you know girls called "Stevie". Some of them may even be called Stevie.
    <space for hire>
    @andypwudtone

If it makes you feel better I'll play it for you on our float at Gay Pride in Brum in May, as it's the only possible market I can think of for it.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3665
    edited January 2016
    I saw this on the PRS stand at the Birmingham Guitar show last year:

• m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    @andypwudtone FWIW I think the finish is quite nice. It's certainly not a colour scheme that would be at the top of my personal list, but for what is essentially a demonstration guitar, it'll make it stand out more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    [comment as admin]
    I've tidied up a few of the off-topic comments in an attempt at keeping this as a vaguely sensible discussion of the original post.

Now, carry on on-topic ...

[comment not as admin]
    I can understand Gassage's original comment entirely - as a finish, my personal preference would be for the original rather than the revision, but beauty is in the eye (etc) and we all have different personal preferences.  Saying "I don't like" is hardly insulting.
    I can also understand Andy creating the revision because it's far more attention-grabbing as well as - from what I can see - being a pretty impressive piece of Wudtone work ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1374
    IMHO I prefer the original - much like @gassage. However, there are plenty of folks who like a nice bit of colour and I bloody love the fantastic peeps on this forum from the UK who build, make, Create, fettle, refinish, build from scratch or who offer niche products to those who do.... Such as @andypwudtone

To be fair, the guitar was bought to be a 'demonstrator' so fairs dos. 

As you were, nothing to see here
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    I quite like it

*Runs away*
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thank you @Gassage for the marketing suggestions as well as the event in May.

We could always make this interesting. I have the purchase receipt and can send a copy to TTony.

Although it will be in action again soon, hopefully adding more value as a demo guitar, it will sell. 

Does anyone fancy placing a bet on it not selling for more than was paid for it?

• I bet @TTony is glad he put the effort in now.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27346

I bet @TTony is glad he put the effort in now.

He often is.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom