Something new for PRS guitarists and non PRS guitarists

What's Hot

Comments

• @randomhandclaps , I bet , btw have you got that bridge going?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    thank you @Gassage for the marketing suggestions as well as the event in May.

We could always make this interesting. I have the purchase receipt and can send a copy to TTony.

Although it will be in action again soon, hopefully adding more value as a demo guitar, it will sell. 

Does anyone fancy placing a bet on it not selling for more than was paid for it?

My pleasure.

Is the bet a double or quits on the original bet you made when you refinished it?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited January 2016
    @randomhandclaps , I bet , btw have you got that bridge going?

@andtpwudtone - No unfortunately.  It is still sat in a box of parts taunting me.  Because of this crap weather I am still waiting on the body curing so hopefully end of the month, which is just as well because I order knobs to match the cream trem end and some company (which shall remain unnamed) sent me ones that they called cream but were more baby poo yellow.  Can wait though.

I'm glad I went for gold as it looks cracking against the body but tracking down some of the other parts in gold in this country is a bit of an arse pain.

Also got a Wudtone fret leveller and file from Santa which hopefully will get it's first run out this week.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Hello @Gassage you've educated me to consider everything you say to be a joke. 

So can you clarify the amount you want to stake ( and that we both pay to T Tony in advance?)

the bet is 
    If the selling price ( net of any VAT, shipping or other duties) ) is less than the price paid (net of any VAT, shipping or other duties)  you take the pot 

If the selling price ( net of any VAT, shipping or other duties) ) is higher than the price paid (net of any VAT, shipping or other duties), I take the pot. 

How much do you wanna stake?
    kind regards 

• @randomhandclaps , I bet , btw have you got that bridge going?

@andtpwudtone - No unfortunately.  It is still sat in a box of parts taunting me.  Because of this crap weather I am still waiting on the body curing so hopefully end of the month, which is just as well because I order knobs to match the cream trem end and some company (which shall remain unnamed) sent me ones that they called cream but were more baby poo yellow.  Can wait though.

I'm glad I went for gold as it looks cracking against the body but tracking down some of the other parts in gold in this country is a bit of an arse pain.

Also got a Wudtone fret leveller and file from Santa which hopefully will get it's first run out this week.

OK, aaaah yes the weather , it is quagmire here,  thank you,  keep me posted and you know where I am if you need any help. kind regards,
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
     ( and that we both pay to T Tony in advance?)

I'm liking that bit.

:D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hello @Gassage you've educated me to consider everything you say to be a joke. 

And you've educated me into thinking your products are a joke so we're quits.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    I like the finish. I'd assumed it was just created as a piece to showcase what you can do with wudtone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi @DefaultM, thank you, if you are anywhere near Birmingham 27th 28th Feb drop by the guitar show. The guitar will be on our stand if you want a closer look. kind regards
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    Most people don't get a PRS because they want a natural stripped back looking guitar. They get one for the bling 'n' swag, init. If someone who was going to buy a PRS anyway had the choice, I'd say they would more likley go for the rainbow one, if we are asking people who like les Paul's, strats, teles, etc (less blingy guitars) they will probably say the stripped back one. But were it not for the scenario they wouldn't have gone for either anyway, they would go for a nice tele (if they were sensible)

For a second I thought Andy was going to take up gassage's offer on playing it at the gay pride float, that would have been fabulous!

Fwiw, I like it, if I were to get a PRS it would be more like the rainbow one than the bland one. But honestly I don't see myself ever getting one.
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1553
    edited January 2016
    As @Mkjackary says, I believe it depends what the guitar can get away with. As an analogy, Ferraris are best in red, Jags are best in green, Lambos work in those, but also look sensational in Lime, Orange,Yellow, Smurf Blue, Insert lurid hue of choice!

Al Di Meola seems to agree as this is how he specced his signature model:

I kind of like the Wudtone PRS finish, it's different and PRS are one of the few models that can pull off fades pretty well. Saying that the best fade that I've seen is a little more subtle, Sandstorm fade, as on this one:

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Ooh Brum Guitar Show is now a Gay Pride March too? Be a dear and fetch my pink feather boa will you @Gassage? ;Double the fun!  

On topic: I think the finish is well done but not for me. I'm too pale to pull off the Miami beach look. I'm still looking at this new bridge though Andy, will catch you at the show (minus aforementioned boa).
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
    I love the rainbow finish.  It looks ace.

I also love the natural pre-rainbow treatment.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andypwudtoneandypwudtone Frets: 287
    edited January 2016

Thank you , @Majorscale , @Mkjackary , agree and like the nice classy example.

Here are some other PRS considerations we've been thinking about and pretty much driven by curiosity as to why some guitarists just don't connect with them.

If we can leave aside looks, as well as the "only for middle aged c????2 prejudice that gets used, the new/secondhand residual value issues.

There is no denying that PRS guitars are well made and that some of the science embedded in them contributes to a guitar that has some improvements in upper fret access and sustain.

However it seems harder to identify the real character , PRS tone so to speak. Maybe PRS owners would disagree and say that PRS guitars do have their own signature tone. It's just I haven't heard it on the stock guitars. What I do hear are electric guitar input devices with compressed dynamic and little character, driving effects.

Apologies if that offends and for some it maybe just what they want.  An example last night on the Bar Rockin Blues radio show, plenty of instantly recognisable Buddy Guy, SRV strat tones, Joe Bonamassa and other suitably fat grunty Les Paul tones and then on comes Simon McBride, lovely playing for sure, but the tone sounds relatively like an input device to effects.

I think the same goes for Carlos Santana's work after he got into bed with PRS ( especially the last couple of efforts) and pretty much every video review on you tube of a PRS guitar. 

Another issue I've noticed that rarely gets mentioned, is the neck angle and the extra distance from the front  strap fixing to the nut and headstock. The distance on a Les Paul and a Strat is 335mm  and on a CU22 /24  360mm. On a PRS single cuts eg a Tremonti it is a whopping 380mm,   which explains why Mark Tremonti can't actually stand up straight playing live.

He is always head left leaning left with right leg out to counterbalance.  the USA PRS's appear to have a shallow ( maybe 2 degrees ) neck angle ( no one on the PRS forums seem to know for sure and perception is that the lower cost CE's don't have any)  compared to a 5 deg neck angle on a LES PAUL , so what I'm saying is that you have to adopt a very different stance ( and you really can't stand up straight as easily) when playing them live, look at Carlos Santana,  Mr Paul Reed smith himself,  they are all hunched over them playing live.

The only pic of Mark Tremonti stood up is when he used to play a Les Paul. It is hard to find a PRS review on you tube where the player isn't sat down.  

These stance issues with a CU22 exist, but haven't been a show stopper for me.  It has been the lack of signature tone, dynamics, coupled with costs that have been the show stopper for me, hence to desire to address that with the Wudtone PRS DD bridge in the video below along with the, sub 1k cost into a USA CU22 that you may be able to pick up. I do think buying one can be less of a lottery than a Gibson, the improved playability,quality, great sustain means that folks who haven't connected with these guitars (for any of the above reasons) could well find themselves really liking one with enhanced dynamic and tone. That could be good for all including PRS residual values.  

Just putting these thoughts out there, here and yes I'm building the need and value of our product , but in a way that attempts to be honest as I can about  pros, cons and the need it is designed to address etc.  Happy to hear back even @Gassage 's jokes.  kind regards

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Happy to hear back even @Gassage 's jokes.  kind regards

Andy,

In fairness, I'm so devastated by Bowie's death I am in no joking mood and colours of PRS's matter not a jot.

Peace x

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    Happy to hear back even @Gassage 's jokes.  kind regards

Andy,

In fairness, I'm so devastated by Bowie's death I am in no joking mood and colours of PRS's matter not a jot.

Peace x
    and to you, my sister was taken at 52, way too young, to the same bastard. 
  • boydie101boydie101 Frets: 18
    edited January 2016
    I like the look of the PRS! If I ever buy a PRS it will be in a stand out colour to show off the grain!
  • Moss said:
    I quite like it

*Runs away*
    me too :)

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I like the colour but I think I prefer it without the stripe. It's very loud, and deserves to be played on stage. Nice job!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • andypwudtoneandypwudtone Frets: 287
    edited January 2016
    Yes, thank you for the comments , needs to be used loud on stage, as do many electric guitars. The stripe will divide, for sure , it is different, growing on me. kind regards

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom