real time remote recording - to replace codec over ISDN

bertiebertie Frets: 13564
edited December 2013 in Studio & Recording
folks,   looks like its time to call a day on the Code <-  ISDN ->Codec  that mrs bert uses for real time remote recording for  her session/recording work. 

Whats the best way to do this over broad band ? 

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
 just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    An SDSL line is what some up here use for similar and seems quite good.
  • Isn't NINJAM the solution of choice these days?

There are VST (Reaper-only) and AU (for Mac) plugins, as well as standalone apps for it. The bandwidth requirements are quite high, but nothing you should struggle with if you have decent broadband. The question is...how many nodes will be joining in, and who's running the server (you can use the Cockos servers if you want, I think)? If it's just 1-1 then you should be fine with even a 1Mbit/s upstream.
    <space for hire>
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    edited December 2013
    thanks guys -- the point is  we have an ISDN line, and a 60mb b/band. 

The ISDN is £40+ a month, its actually been down now for 3 days and mrs bert has lost work.  The b/band is here anyway, is "free" so to speak and surely has to be the way forward.

The NinJam is a non-starter Im afraid -    

The software and systems comprising NINJAM provide a non-realtime mechanism 

We were recommended now this -  Source Connect   -  not cheap !!!  just wondered if anyone has used it ?
  • bertie said:
    The NinJam is a non-starter Im afraid -    

The software and systems comprising NINJAM provide a non-realtime mechanism 

We were recommended now this -  Source Connect   -  not cheap !!!  just wondered if anyone has used it ?
    D'oh, what an idiot. That's what I get for trying to do technical research when tired. Sorry, dude...

Never come across Source Connect before...can't help you there. I'm very curious about this, though...
    <space for hire>
    indeed,  a std licence is around £375 per "node"  I think.............. the Pro,  3 times that !!

However Ive just discovered I might just have been paying twice as much for the ISDN line as I should have !!  (my bill versus their website !!)
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Oops my bad I thought you meant the actual pipe and not the software.

Not tried or seen that software but will ask around just in case.

£40 pcm seems excessive for ISDN in this day and age despite it being a managed product.

Freelancers (TV/Video production and ADR etc) up her wot I have supported switched from ISDN to SDSL as it became available, they may ahve wisdom of the software side.
  • I was fascinated reading a sound on sound article about this. Why cant you use the same codecs over any old ip connection though? 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited December 2013
    what is "any old IP connection" ?    

Dont see how dial up Codec appliances will work over a b/band connection ?  Unless you use a "skype" type connection   - but they arent exactly uber robust without interference ?

Im not sure if these will go IP to IP....................  I'd need to RTFM................where ever it is......hasnt seen the light of day in over 10 years !!
  • Ahh i didnt realise these were used on the voice facilities of ISDN, I assumed the ISDN was just the highest speed ip conneciton available at the time.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    edited December 2013
    TBH, I didnt know anything ever went direct IP over ISDN................always had "ISDN modems" (or bridges)  waaay back in the day when they were the only viable leased line comms.