Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tele neck pickup suggestions?

What's Hot
Right then, so I'm putting together a Telecaster with the body I got off Jooky and neck/parts I had lying around. I've got a Tonerider Hot Classic to go in the bridge which I loved in the last guitar it was in, but I've never found a neck pickup that I was happy with to go with it.

I've had a few nice vintage spec ones in the past, but because the bridge pup is about 9k and very punchy indeed, they just don't sit well together.

Any suggestions from the wise (and not so wise) forumites? I'd rather not do any routing if possible... :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9661
    Who, with a Tele, uses the neck pickuop anyway?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I've a Lollar Charlie Christian in mah tele - but I really love the BK country boy sets :)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • HAL9000 said:
    I do - but it's a strat bridge pickup that I've stuck in that position - i've yet to find a tele neck pickup that works well with the original 70s bridge pickup (although I'm planning on trying an oil city in the new year)
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited December 2013
    I quite liked the Fender Twisted Tele neck pickup in the Baja I used to have.  They're also now found on the US Standard last time I checked too.  

It was designed to sound good with the Broadcaster bridge, which is about 9k IIRC and quite punchy too.

The Twisted Tele neck pickup seemed a bit brighter and clearer than the neck pickups in the other Teles I've tried, though I've never A/B'd it with another pickup in the same instrument to be honest as I never swapped pickups in the Baja.

If you're near any shops with 2012/2013 US standard Teles or Baja Teles you could always go and give one a try to see if it has the right kind of vibe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bron_Yr_AurBron_Yr_Aur Frets: 99
    edited December 2013
    HAL9000 said:
    I do. That's why I started this thread.
    ;)

I quite liked the Fender Twisted Tele neck pickup in the Baja I used to have.  They're also now found on the US Standard last time I checked too.  

It was designed to sound good with the Broadcaster bridge, which is about 9k IIRC and quite punchy too.

The Twisted Tele neck pickup seemed a bit brighter and clearer than the neck pickups in the other Teles I've tried, though I've never A/B'd it with another pickup in the same instrument to be honest as I never swapped pickups in the Baja.

If you're near any shops with 2012/2013 US standard Teles or Baja Teles you could always go and give one a try to see if it has the right kind of vibe.
    I'll try that next time I'm in London. Have a wisdom.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    HAL9000;97554" said:
    I do. Though admittedly I went through a lot before I found one I liked. The set I'm using these days was wound by Mojoguitarsandpickups.co.uk

He doesn't list tele pickups on the site but winds them as a special order. I think it was about £90 for the pair. I wanted a tele neck that was as strat like as possible but still looked like a tele pickup with cover. The bridge is wound to Broadcaster specs. Mo's a nice guy and very easy to deal with.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31572
    I have SD Broadcaster bridge pickups in my Teles, but never found a neck pickup which balances well, so I just use vintage Strat pickups instead.
    A good Tele neck pickup is a wondrous thing, but they're rarely at their best when used with the same amp setting as the bridge pickup. A Strat pickup is just easier to work with for me, and I've honestly never heard a studio producer ask for "that classic Tele neck pickup sound".

I have always fancied building a "correct" looking Tele I can work with though, so I'm interested in this thread :)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10346
    edited December 2013 tFB Trader
    Whatever you get ... make sure it doesn't have a brass cover ... that's the single biggest factor in f---ing up the sound of a Tele neck unit. Sometimes you might already have a perfectly good Tele neck pickup ... it's just muffled by being in a glorified frankfurter can :)
    Change your cover.
    In an extreme case ... you could try this
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72301
    I like Tele neck pickups - for me the whole point is that they're quieter and duller than the bridge pickup, so you can switch from soft clean (neck) through clear just-breaking-up (both) to crunchy overdrive (bridge) just with the guitar.

I always really liked the Duncan Antiquity II set I had in my last Tele.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Spot on - the Tele neck pickup is a great counterfoil for the brightness of the bridge unit. On my fave Tele I have the SD Broadcaster bridge pickup and the matching Tele 'Rhythm' pickup in the neck - sounds wonderful, IMHO.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• BKP Brown Sugar and/or Boss. Both are among my favourite pickups ever, never mind just neck pickups.

I'd wager Ash could knock together something just as good for a lot less cash :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    +1 for Ash at Oil City, I got a Thames Delta neck to go in my Parker and it is very nice indeed.  Another big plus for him is if you can catch him when he doesn't have his hands in a bath of wax or winding/soldering stuff he will listen to what you want and advise accordingly and sensibly.
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    I like Tele neck pickups - for me the whole point is that they're quieter and duller than the bridge pickup, so you can switch from soft clean (neck) through clear just-breaking-up (both) to crunchy overdrive (bridge) just with the guitar.

I always really liked the Duncan Antiquity II set I had in my last Tele.
    That's like saying 'I really like distortion so I'll kick my speakers in'
    rather than 'I really like distortion sometimes so I'll buy a pedal.' :)

And no I'm not being particularly serious ... but I have man flu so am full of piss and vinegar :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• HAL9000 said:
    Anna Calvi.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • ICBM said:

I know what you mean, and I've used that in the past, but that's not going to work for me in a live situation. It wasn't so much the neck pup had less crunch either, it was just flat and weak.

I'd wager Ash could knock together something just as good for a lot less cash :)

Richardj said:
    +1 for Ash at Oil City, I got a Thames Delta neck to go in my Parker and it is very nice indeed.  Another big plus for him is if you can catch him when he doesn't have his hands in a bath of wax or winding/soldering stuff he will listen to what you want and advise accordingly and sensibly.
    I figured this would be the response. :) I'll drop you a PM @TheGuitarWeasel ...
  • Bron_Yr_AurBron_Yr_Aur Frets: 99
    edited December 2013
    Random accidental double post. Apologies.
    That's like saying 'I really like distortion so I'll kick my speakers in'
    rather than 'I really like distortion sometimes so I'll buy a pedal.' :)

And no I'm not being particularly serious ... but I have man flu so am full of piss and vinegar :)
    :)

You can do both! I like distortion sometimes, I like overdrive sometimes, I like cleans sometimes… with two differently-voiced/output pickups, a volume control, your hands and a bunch of pedals you can really choose what you want at any time - but I still find that classic Tele combination with different pickups about the most useful.

That's also why I like humbucker sets with a PAF-type neck and the bridge a lot hotter.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

That's also why I like humbucker sets with a PAF-type neck and the bridge a lot hotter.
    But a PAF isn't muffled :)

But a PAF isn't muffled :)
    Nor is a good Tele neck pickup ;).

Just slightly softer-sounding.

tFB Trader
    Plenty of bad ones are ;)