American Special telecaster

What's Hot
John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
Anyone played one? Looking to buy a good, but not hugely expensive tele, considerations are and American Special, a Baja and a Squier VM or possibly an American standard. What are people's thoughts on quality vs price?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    about 18 months ago I tried all three in GG Glasgow.  The Special was easily the nicest to play, the baja sounded the best but was more effort to play and the CV was the best VFM…so, eh , I'd have a Special that sounded like a baja but cost the same as the CV

I ended up with a 2nd hand CV btw
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    You missed out the MiM Standard. It's a fine guitar and if you want it a bit more 'trad' a vintage bridge for less than £30 drops straight in.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2422
    I've heard good things, but was underwhelmed when I played them.

I felt the American Standard easily justified the extra £100 difference in used value (particularly the 2008 and onward ones with the excellent SKB case).

The ones I tried I didn't like the finish, the 3 piece bodies were poorly matched, and they just lacked something tone-wise.
    I might have been unlucky, but I haven't had the same experience with American Standards.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    So, not much love for the American Special then :). @cj73. Why end up with the CV, ate you just tight like me ;)

@john_A TBH I was keeping an eye out for any of them 2nd hand when a CV came up on here that needed a bit of work but going for a great price so I jumped at it.  Spent a tenner and a couple of hours sorting it and it was great, even with the stock pickups. I had it and played it regularly for nearly a year .....Only shifted it on a month or so ago when I bought one of those Thomann La Cabronitas.

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I've tried the Baja & the American Standard. I preferred the Baja tbh
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I really like the American special I played a few months ago. It sounded noticeably better than the baja I was comparing it against and the neck was really great. @Alnico was there and used to own one I think.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Adam_MD said:
    I really like the American special I played a few months ago. It sounded noticeably better than the baja I was comparing it against and the neck was really great. @Alnico was there and used to own one I think.
    The American Special Whooped the 60's Baja in terms of making a massive, deep noise and it plays in a very unique way because of jumbo frets. It's not better as as such because the 60's Baja is a focused  thing and if you wanted that 60's thing it did it very well.
    The American Special is an all round tool with a 70's feel to it. Gorgeous tone, stunning easy neck to play and a very nice 'Proper' feel to the whole thing.

I would buy an American Special again right now (Olympic White/Rosewood) if i had the money. Definitely a "Regret selling that one" guitar.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2422
    Ah yes, I remember the jumbo frets being another thing I didn't like about it ;-)
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    Aye, the neck were fast and the frets big n wide and as @alnico says the baja is very focused on being a "traditional" tele
  • I've got an american special and it is bloody lovely! Fantastic all round guitar and the neck is really nice.