Talyor 600 series - Have you played one?

What's Hot

Sorry, posted this in the wrong forum earlier.

Got a very quick opportunity to demo a revoiced Taylor 616. It was a couple of months ago, but the bass haunts me ever since! Have you played one? What did you think?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Can't say I'm a fan of Taylors I tried a few high end ones in Frailers the other day and found them to be nothing special. I can think of several makers I'd prefer before them.
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    No, but I've spent quite some time with a revoiced 2015 maple 614ce. 

Odd, really. Smooth and rich without doubt and impressive amounts of warmth and bottom end, but close to being underbuilt in terms of certain resonances on the fingerboard. 

Feels like it's right on the edge of its design limitations. Like driving a peaky turbo-charged one-litre car instead of a naturally-aspirated two-litre. Also, quite compressed. A sonic achievement, but not sure I like it. 

Also, kinda spendy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    edited January 2016
    Not played any of the re-voiced ones.  I've played one or two lovely ones but most I've played have not floated my boat.  Give me a good Martin or Furch any day.

Do they still have the expression system?  Being bespoke it is almost unfixable when it goes wrong. It has a very poor reputation for reliability as well which has been borne out in my personal experience.  I went with a friend when he bought a Taylor.  If I remember correctly we tried 3 of that model and the expression system only worked on one of the three.  Whatever you do don't ask @ICBM about the expression system - you will probably make his head explode. If you do want a Taylor then buy a straight acoustic and add a different pickup if you need it.
  • BigLicks67;932851" said:
    Can't say I'm a fan of Taylors I tried a few high end ones in Frailers the other day and found them to be nothing special. I can think of several makers I'd prefer before them.
    Were any of them the revoiced 600 series?
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9528
    edited January 2016
    I've got a Taylor 614cd Ltd Edition and it's stunning. Mine is a 30th Anniversary though, so I think it's about 12 years old.

To be honest, I've never heard a Martin come close (EC Model aside), but there are a lot out there.

L'arrivee are special imho.

I've owned 5 Taylors and never had an issue, and the ES is rock solid. As ever, YMMV...
  • I have a 816 GS and it's a outstanding guitar. I love the low string sound when thumb picking on it. For me it's better than any martin I've played.
  • buckfast said:
    BigLicks67;932851" said:
    Can't say I'm a fan of Taylors I tried a few high end ones in Frailers the other day and found them to be nothing special. I can think of several makers I'd prefer before them.
    Were any of them the revoiced 600 series?
    One was a 600 series guitar but I've no idea whether it was a new model/version. To be honest I'd take the revoicing spiel with a pinch of salt. Taylor are very adept at marketing.
  • I've heard some guys say that the 100 and 200 series are best in the Taylor lineup, despite them having laminate back and sides. To be honest, I've never done and A v B with a higher end Taylor vs models from the 100 / 200 series, but ive always been impressed with 100 and 200 series Taylors whenever I've played them
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    The best Taylor I've played (by a long way) is a limited edition 400 series from around 2004 with Koa back and sides.  I've never got on with the Taylor neck profile so I still wouldn't buy one, but that one was very good.

• L'arrivee are special imho.

Have a wis, great guitars