Bloody Poor Service!

What's Hot
It's not WW3 or anything, but I expect a lot better from a retailer.

I ordered 4 sets of Elixir Strings on Friday evening from a certain Guitar Shop/Retailer in Peterborough as there prices were excellent (£8.99) and free delivery over £30. I got suspicious when they hadn't arrived when I got home Tuesday evening.

Anyhow I gets an email today from them, stating "Thanks for your recent strings order. Unfortunately I am down to my last 2 sets of Elixirs and struggling to get any more. Would coated Ernie Ball 9's be any good to you? They come in at the same price as Elixirs."

So this is 5 days after I place my order which was accepted online. The website does not state the amount they have in stock, but it did not tell me there wasn't enough in stock. It accepted my order and the guy should have been able to notify me a lot earlier than this that he was short of stock. Most retailers have an "in stock" facility, they should think about getting it or keeping a closer eye on their stock.

I know I am entitled to a refund, but that is not the point. If I get refunded I am pissing about buying again and then keeping an eye on my Credit Card etc. I could have been someone who needed them for a gig on the coming Thursday etc and if I refused his offer then I would have old strings for the gig as the new ones would not have come through.

So I either take the 2 sets and pay delivery as I don't want any other strings or I get it charged back to my card and go somewhere else. I don't feel like giving this guy my money for such a poor service.

How would you rate this service?
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2866
    Typical of some online retailers :(
  • Pretty bad, and enough reason not to shop there.

Did they take the money off your card when it was apparent they didn't have any in stock? If so, inexcusable in my book.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    It's quite poor that it took 5 days for them to tell you he didn't have enough in stock. I would take however many he has left and a refund on the rest.
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    SURELY he's not going to charge you delivery?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    edited December 2013
    Refund and tell him he's shit. Then go to a local store.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, get the whole lot refunded.  That is crap.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Insist on the free delivery with the two sets, or if he won't do that then get a full refund.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Your thoughts mirror mine pretty much, cheers fellas. I haven't responded to him but will tomorrow. As per what you have said, I could request the 2 sets on condition of free delivery and bugger him off if he doesn't go for it. You could argue he is not worth giving the business to though like some of you have also mentioned. I'll see how forgiving I am and how flexible he is tomorrow.

If he does agree on free delivery for 2 sets then I suppose I only have his word on the phone, unless I insist he sends another email with an amended transaction, he may do that anyway?

It was a credit card, not debit card, so I don't think a transaction will register until I contact him tomorrow as he is awaiting my response. Also I have an outstanding bill on that card that doesn't require paying until the 10th, so I wouldn't receive another bill yet anyway, that's how it's always worked on that card anyway ;-)

• Which shop's that? Only curious, 'cos I may be taking a trip into Peterborough soon, and I don't want to end up at the one where they don't have the strings I need ;)
    <space for hire>

• I might as well say it anyway as I'm not telling Porkies, it's GTR Music. I think it may be a warehouse rather than an actual shop, I could be wrong though.

• Ah, yes - to be honest, I've never really shopped there because they only seem to have the cheapest of the cheap gear in.

The owner recently (and inexplicably) added me on Facebook a couple of weeks back...
    <space for hire>
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    What, he responded to your invite?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    Fourth world problems eh ?
  • Don't know much else about GTR, I was only after a good deal on Elixirs, I ended up with a good deal of Tripe :-)
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    Pisspoor, Bad trade, shop elsewhere with someone who delivers what they advertise, as far as buying strings goes it's Tim Gentle for me, Great price and Fast delivery always.
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340

I might as well say it anyway as I'm not telling Porkies, it's GTR Music. I think it may be a warehouse spare bedroom rather than an actual shop, I could be wrong though.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324
    Yeah as you said, it's the taking 5 days to tell you rather than being out of stock that's the problem. I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago- as you said, you might have needed it sooner (and I actually did in my case). Had similar problems recently with non guitar related stuff too from pretty big high street names/online stores. I realise not everything will go like clockwork every time, but let me know if something is going to be delayed as soon as possible, not the guts of a week later.
  • @Zodiac51

You made I titter.
  • @Dave_Mc

Sorry to hear you got mucked about n' all.

Yep, the time issue is the main thing, but I think it's still Shoddy to not have an "in stock" facility on a website. I know mistakes are gonna be made sometimes even when there is one but it's like "For Christ sake, give the customer a clue if you have them in the first place".

In my eyes it shows a more professional approach to have this facility on a website.

I'll probably f*ck him off and go elsewhere.

:-D
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324
    Thanks, it's relatively minor in the grand scheme of things, but it's still annoying :)) Sorry to hear you got messed about too :)