Album That Changed Your Life

What's Hot
JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
I'd love to claim it was Led Zepp 2, or If You Want Blood or something, they were special but came later, but this is the one that genuinely changed my life. 

K-tel, whodda guessed?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    Friends of mine at school had that and Axe Attack II. It got me into rock and metal, but it didn't change my life.

This did…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2025
    Great call, filled with teenage angst. Love it.

Mine wasn't as cool, but I still love it too.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • For me it was Darkside Of The Moon.  When I was about 8 I had a teacher call Mr Kelly who would always enthuse about music to me.  It was around 1987 so it was exactly Pink Floyd's height of coolness.  We did this little school play which featured the song Money and he bought in the album.  I remember staring at it because it wasn't like any other album cover I had seen with the usual band photo on the front.  Then on hearing it being a bit WTF?  Because it didn't sound like music as I knew it up until that point.  I loved it but it also kind of scared me.  He then told me I could borrow it and it was the most amazing thing in every aspect.  I had heard plenty of other great things before that but I think that was the least formulaic and for the first time made me question what music was and learn to rebel against those around me rather than following trends.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The Cult: Electric started the musical ball rolling for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    edited January 2016

Well, more specifically it was a 12" single of Just Like Honey that changed my life, but the album followed that up very quickly.  I still remember one of the music rags describing it as "a 14 track flying headbutt in the face of mediocrity", which I felt was understating things a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Misplaced childhood - Marillion         A friend at school bought me a copy and insisted I listen -   I went from being vaguely interested in music with whatever was on the radio and tv to music being my main interest and obsessed with playing guitar.  
    It was the first time that songs, in part lyrics and arrangements but mainly music and guitar playing, moved me and music became a constant part of whatever I do.
  • I had a massive car crash on a roundabout involving 5+ cars that I can account for. I was listening to tu pac all eyez on me at the time, so I will go with that
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    I can't pin it down to one (sorry), so (in no particular order, choronological or otherwise, plus some of these are actually 12" EP's)...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31555
    Axis:Bold as Love.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Without a doubt it was the first Doors album. I'd liked all kinds of music before that, Tamla, Rockabilly, Ska and Rock & Roll but that album was something else. Oh, and Safe as Milk by Captain Beefeheart.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2549
    Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7772
    I bought August and Everything After around the time my ex-wife left me, while it didn't change my life it did help hold it together.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9605
    dtr said:

Well, more specifically it was a 12" single of Just Like Honey that changed my life, but the album followed that up very quickly.  I still remember one of the music rags describing it as "a 14 track flying headbutt in the face of mediocrity", which I felt was understating things a little.
    The soundtrack to my first term at university was this, Hatful of Hollow and Combat Rock.

I went to see them play Psycho Candy in its entirety a few months back. A 30-year old album shouldn't sound that good still.
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    I can't pin it down to one (sorry), so (in no particular order, choronological or otherwise, plus some of these are actually 12" EP's)...

Chameleons fan?......awesome band, dare I say the best band to come out of manchester in the 80's
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Queen- The Works, their 1985 Live Aid appearance inspired me to take up guitar.
    Metallica- the black album- something so simple on the face of it is so effective.
    Def Leppard - Hysteria - very late to the party on this one yet it's the overall production that I find so great.
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908

What Does Anything Mean, Basically?

Class album by my favourite band of all time.  :)

For me I think it's either "All Mod Cons" by The Jam, "The Smiths" by The Smiths or "Flock" by The Tansads
    We are all Chameleons...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Predictably, Appetite for Destruction, just blew me away as a kid, the attitude, the guitar parts and love it just as much now.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I has Axe Attack on cassette. I think Sweet Emotion by Aerosmith was the song I'd never heard before and really grabbed me.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself