Album That Changed Your Life

What's Hot

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    The Wall.

It made sense of growing up in 80's Liverpool.

@LittleGreenMan should remember a piece of Graffiti that was so profound it didn't get removed for years and it was in quite a posh area, in the waiting room of the train station.....

"Drugs don't kill, they just numb the pain of life".

Where we grew up was firmly gripped by various drug epidemics and the amount of our collective school friends who died very young and the one's who are still here but not really is astounding.

Growing up in the middle of this, Roger Waters really made sense of this and a lot of the feeling in Liverpool at the time. 

Still to this day it's one of the few albums i can play over and over again and never ever get bored of. 
    It changed my life in as much as it helped me to see the pain for what it is and it gave me something to relate to. That i think was maybe worth more to me at the time than the actual music, albeit a masterpiece.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 499
    I'll go with Paranoid by Black Sabbath
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • snazzasnazza Frets: 38

For me that Album was Nothingface by Voivod.....

Up until that point I had been a proper grubby metalhead ....this changed the way I saw 'metal' and rock forever .......and Piggy (RIP) will always be one of my idols

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GifB5kkFPx4

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2797
    Bright Side of the Road by Van Morrison and The Kick Inside by Kate Bush. The song Beasley Street by John Cooper Clarke also had a big impact for various reasons and remains one of my all time Desert Island tracks.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    Sassafras;936729" said:
    Without a doubt it was the first Doors album. I'd liked all kinds of music before that, Tamla, Rockabilly, Ska and Rock & Roll but that album was something else. Oh, and Safe as Milk by Captain Beefeheart.
    Strictly Personal was the one for me.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Appetite for Destruction.
    I was ten and my parents took it off me. So I knew it must be awesome.

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

there were 4 albums that profound impacts on me as a developing player..

Judas Priest Unleashed in the East.. riff till ya drop..

UFO Strangers in the Night.. Schenker's intensity and energy playing right on the ragged edge..

Van Halen I... a total game changer

Rising Force Marching Out.. the next game changer

play every note as if it were your first
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Sorry for overkill, but there were four for me:

At school (1970s) I was really into chart music, massively so. My best friend had an older brother and I was fascinated by all these albums he had from bands I’d never heard of. He lent me Led Zep 4, and I remember being blown away by Stairway in particular. I just didn’t know about ‘album’ music (can be very different to singles!).

No 2 was Close to the edge. I was amazed by an album having just 3 loooooong tracks, one taking up a whole side!

No 3 was the Wall. The combination of amazing music, fascinating lyrics and a story threading through the whole thing was incredible. I would sit listening to the whole thing in a dark room, getting totally absorbed by it.

No 4 was Marillion’s Script for a jesters tear. I was a massive fan of the band from before they even had a record deal. I was at uni living in a hall of residence and had a whole bunch of pals who were also really into the band. It was the best time of my life in many ways. 
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited January 2016
    axisus said:
    Sorry for overkill, but there were four for me:

At school (1970s) I was really into chart music, massively so. My best friend had an older brother and I was fascinated by all these albums he had from bands I’d never heard of. He lent me Led Zep 4, and I remember being blown away by Stairway in particular. I just didn’t know about ‘album’ music (can be very different to singles!).

No 2 was Close to the edge. I was amazed by an album having just 3 loooooong tracks, one taking up a whole side!

No 3 was the Wall. The combination of amazing music, fascinating lyrics and a story threading through the whole thing was incredible. I would sit listening to the whole thing in a dark room, getting totally absorbed by it.

No 4 was Marillion’s Script for a jesters tear. I was a massive fan of the band from before they even had a record deal. I was at uni living in a hall of residence and had a whole bunch of pals who were also really into the band. It was the best time of my life in many ways. 

ah you've made me remeber somethnig..... there's Clarky the shredder and Clarky the progger...

the prog albums that had the biggest effect on my development were

Yes Yessongs / Going For he One

PFM Chocolate Kings

Genesis Wind and Wuthering / Foxtrot

Trace Trace

Rush 2112 / Permanent Waves

these fellas didn't have much of an impact on me as a guitar player because technique wise I come from a whole different place.. but as a prog musician / composer they had a massive impact..

this thread kinda got me thinking.. I play like a shredder but I write like a progger..

play every note as if it were your first
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Can't say any music/band/album has changed my life
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3300
    There was a few that all seemed to rush out to me at once

30 something Carter USM
    Troublegum Therapy?
    Nevermind Nirvana
    Siamese Dream smashing pumpkins
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    Quadrophenia by The Who. It came along just in time when I was having a bad time in my late teens. I'm One could have been my theme song back then. Pete is a genius imo.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    If you haven't heard it, your life is about to be changed. if you have, then it already has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KsAVZF8H2o
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Serratus said:

There are so many bands/albums that had huge influences over me (Living Colour, Racer X, Spin Doctors, Sting, RHCP, Satch, Vai, Extreme, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and recently Periphery, Big Wreck, and back in the 80's Bon Jovi, etc), but this band and album is what started me playing guitar.

Has to be Van Halen I

Ahh yes. My friends older bro had that. I remember just staring at the cover thinking that they looked like ultimate rock gods. Eruption was out of this world!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    John Kongos, well written songs, quirky stuff, and some rocking numbers, with ace production.  I wore the grooves out on this.

I was too old for punk, so this one got me out of the introspective Prog widdle rut

Glad he's back in the saddle - will be seeing him if he comes near.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    alapeno said:
    John Kongos, well written songs, quirky stuff, and some rocking numbers, with ace production.  I wore the grooves out on this.

I was too old for punk, so this one got me out of the introspective Prog widdle rut

Glad he's back in the saddle - will be seeing him if he comes near.

Cool @alapeno
    That John Kongos album was a belter. My mate got it when it was released and we used to listen to it for hours.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • +1 for John Kongos. 'kin excellent album :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Apparently the master tapes are lost/destroyed.  The CD version is not good quality.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited January 2016
    I seemed to have an epiphany after wanting to find "my type" of music when I was in my early teens. There were a few massive albums for me that came along at the same kind of time (early 90s)... but what really sparked my love of music was one night when I was 14 or 15, which would make it 1993/94. I was listening to the Radio 1 live music show that used to be on a Sunday night, lying in my bed with my Walkman on and they had a live show of Pearl Jam playing, then a week later it was Nirvana live from the Reading festival. I ended up recording both of them onto cassette and listened to them loads. Eventually (CDs were a big outlay for me at that age) I went out and got myself a copy of Ten and Nevermind and listened to both over and over. Nevermind sticks with me more, but it was hearing Ten that really started it.

I can genuinely say that if I hadn't heard those two albums at that time then I think my musical taste and journey through all the epic albums of my life would've been completely different.

Andy

• Rainbow_BrownRainbow_Brown Frets: 133
    edited January 2016
    Bought a second-hand vinyl copy of this when I was a teenager 20 years ago and it blew my mind - the interplay between Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd was like nothing I'd ever heard. They're still two of my favourite players, and they have very different styles, which makes the way they play together all the more amazing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom