Any idea what this could be (probably nothing of worth...)

What's Hot
Hi all,

Just stumbled across this in a classifieds listing; any idea what the guitar on the right might be? My guess is probably nothing of worth but it looks intriguing....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    It looks very like the first guitar I ever owned which was bought from Mazels in Manchester in about 1972.

I believe they may be Eastern European. Mine had brass frets, which had not been levelled or finished in anyway - imagine frets made out of a bastard file and you'll be close.

They were absolute rubbish. Mind you, it didn't put me off playing....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @richardhomer - probably best to steer clear then!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    If it was cheap enough I'd buy it and try to improve it. I've bought many crappy guitars and have always managed to get them to play better than they were ever intended to play. It's fun, satisfying and needn't cost a fortune.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    They're OK actually - if fret dressed and set up nicely, as richardhomer said. They have a typical ratty, bluesy tone without much fundamental but sound OK if you want that sort of thing.

I paid a tenner for the last one I had and got - I think - £89 for it through the shop, obviously all sorted out. I'm not sure if it was worth the amount of work! But it was worth it just to save a quite cool old thing. They have character and a nostalgia factor which goes beyond what you would think the actual guitar might be worth.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Cool, in that case I'll pick it up as it's pretty cheap, and see what I can do with it. Thanks all
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    Found the pic I took of mine. It was a 'Lignatone', made in Czechoslovakia, probably 1960s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein