Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Johnny Marr Jags, do they rock?

What's Hot
not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
Incoming bonus so I'm gassing for something new as a treat!

I'm considering a few things, a Kotzen Tele, one of these new Fender Elites....or maybe go for something different and the Johnny Marr Jag has also tempted me since they first came out.

I play in a rock covers band, but we do a fair bit of indie stuff as well, so maybe a Jag would be a nice addition....and it's different from the other guitar I have (Les Pauls, Strat, Tele, Jem)

I'm primarily a boring old pentatonic blues rock widdler, but a bit of jangle could be fun.

Opinions please...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• They are awesome.  My mate has one and I would love to get one.  Definitely on my 'someday' list.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    Jags absolutely rock, but not in the same way an LP or Tele does. Definitely worth trying one :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • They're ok. Much like an AVRI 62 with some different features (generally the available colour choices are better on the Marr model)

I would factor in a bridge swap and possibly a pickup swap as well (personally, I do this with all offsets)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    They're ok. Much like an AVRI 62 with some different features (generally the available colour choices are better on the Marr model)

I would factor in a bridge swap and possibly a pickup swap as well (personally, I do this with all offsets)
    That surprises me, I thought these came with special bareknuckle pick-ups specifically designed for the guitar? I guess that's a personal taste thing though of course.

• personal opinion but Mojo completely smokes the bareknuckle pickups.

I would even back that statement with other pickup types. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Jags are epic.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• bigfuzzbigfuzz Frets: 45
    I really enjoyed playing one, if you're potentially swapping pickups you may get better value from getting a AVRI...
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    They do indeed rock. I didn't get on with the neck but I don't like 7.25 radius so no real surprise.
  • The stock pickups in the Marrguar sound less like a Jaguar than others available, so it depends on what tickles your fancy. Personally not a fan of the revised switching (think it looks wrong and conceptually is fixing a problem that wasn't a problem in any way). But! It's a better bridge than an AVRI, the neck is very nice, and as mentioned above, there are some nice colours. Sherwood green springs to mind.
  • regarding the bridge, its not as good as the staytrem, it still uses the old mustang barrels which puts the string right on the edge of the fretboard which makes them a bit meh to play. 
    The proper staytrem brings the strings in and makes for a nice playing experience. 
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1619
    they're a gateway Jag.

I got one, had to have another, then an AVRI. It's dangerous.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You'll really need to swap the bridge out for a "proper" staytrem one as this sorts the spacing issue out that comes with the OEM part. This is a mod that JM himself does.
  • Yeah I like the BKs in the Marr Jag but it's punchier and thicker that 'normal' jag sounds, which personally I thought was a bonus.  A bridge change is a must though as the one on it is a heap of shite which I think is truly disappointing for a £1500 plus guitar.  Considering they went to the trouble of outsourcing the pickups and Johnny Marr's tech swaps the bridges out for Stay Trems then you think it was something they might have thought of.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1619
    the BKPs are way better than the AVRI pups and the Mojos are better than either IMO. The Marr bridge is I believe the Staytrem design which Fender then decided to manufacture themselves for the Marr Jag and cocked the spacing up, so the high E fell off constantly. Oddly, mine fits the AVRI perfectly

• Fender licensed the bridge posts from staytrem and left the rest for some stupid reason
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You'll really need to swap the bridge out for a "proper" staytrem one as this sorts the spacing issue out that comes with the OEM part. This is a mod that JM himself does.

what difference does it make?

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    ^^ :-) ^^
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Anyone prefer these over a Jazzmaster, and if so, why ?
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    Anyone prefer these over a Jazzmaster, and if so, why ?
    Totally different guitars in sound and they way they play as Jag is shorter scale. They both have the same trem and similar body shape but that's where it ends, very different guitars. I have had 2 Jazzmasters and am on my 2nd Jag. I am a big fan of both could not say one is better than the other.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    edited September 2017
    Anyone prefer these over a Jazzmaster, and if so, why ?
    Totally different for reasons already mentioned