Building a workshop or buy this?

What's Hot
Looking into building a workshop in the garden, shed is tiny and needs refelting anyway...

Cost for even a self build runs into the thousands.

What do you reckon to this? Got electrics, lighting and is local to me:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/workshoplarge-shed12ft-x-10ft-sturdy-construction-double-and-single-doors-5-windows-electricss/1040043530#photo-content
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JadenJaden Frets: 251
    how handy are you at building?
    I built my first workshop with a concrete pad, block walls and a flat roof for just over 2K
    the electrics were a further £400 but I really went to town with SWA cable and MK metal fittings everywhere...
    the stability of the floor isnt in question then and as long as you check out the planning permission laws, you wont need planning either if its under a certain size.
    I would worry about floor stability, security and temperature with a wooden shed but there is no doubt that they work well for many people.
    Jaden Rose Guitars :: Jaden Rose Guitars on Facebook :: My Facebook :: YouTube

The young do not know enough to be prudent, therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.

• Well, I've done our decking. Base was pretty heavy duty, noggins aplenty!

Sure I could get a pal in to do the mortar work but it's all a bit too expensive, if I'm being honest. 

I'll only be working on guitars in there. 
  • Looks pretty fair to me, but you'll want some decent insulation and heating/humidity control in their if you want to work on timber or necks. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    Looks pretty fair to me, but you'll want some decent insulation and heating/humidity control in their if you want to work on timber or necks. :)
    that is certainly the ideal but, would make guitar building an impossibility for most if it was essential and is not as crucial for wood in solid body dimensions.  not just the hobby builders either, there are quite a few pro's (most custom builders in the UK???)  that don't have a humidity controlled workshop.   

These things are more needed if you build a lot of acoustics all year round and live in some states of the US where.  we can get away with being sensible

I am in an insulated shed 16x8 shed now and it works well for my purposes, although i will be moving soon and am looking for somewhere with a garage i can have instead. 

I store all my wood in the shed stacked nicely, then when i am starting a build I bring the wood inside for a week or two first and tend not to leave it in the shed overnight - just goes out there to be worked on.  that is just to be cautious if the roof happens to leak, which it never has yet

if i do end up needing to buy a new workshop i will certainly be looking for something second hand & local first

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9983
    tFB Trader
    Oooo I love sheds me. My dad was an engineer and serial shed builder see ... runs in the family! Insulation is a must in this climate ... there's no incentive to stay in a shed that would freeze a polar bear's nads off.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• JadenJaden Frets: 251
    they are pretty easy to insulate at least, half a dozen celotex boards and your done..
    Jaden Rose Guitars :: Jaden Rose Guitars on Facebook :: My Facebook :: YouTube

The young do not know enough to be prudent, therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.

• @WezV @TheGuitarWeasel ;

What do you reckon to the one in the ad? 
    definitely worth a look
  • Cheers Wez. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    I like that the floor has been "tantalised". 

You have to disassemble it, move it, and reassemble it.

Which is a lot more work than just building one that's delivered to your doorstep or garden gate.  But if you've got the energy and the flatbed ... Bear in mind that you might not be able to disassemble it without breaking some bits ...

When I got mine, I spent a lot of time (and money) treating it with decent paint.  Assembled it, and then filled in all the internal panels with 2" polystyrene, then walled and floored it with 6mm ply.  It's still rock solid, and reasonably warm.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9983
    tFB Trader
    My dad ran a an engineering company that made ground breaking medical hardware ... and was housed a cobbled together terrace of three sheds, that used to be beach-front holiday chalets ... at the bottom of our garden. He bought them at a knock down price as he and his business partner had to take em apart and transport em. Of course, being my dad, as he didn't have a trailer, he got an old car axle or two, some bed irons (remember those?) and spent a weekend welding ...
    Everything was towed back behind his old Ford Consul!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I do think they are asking a lot if they are not going to dismantle or deliver.... i would be going for a cheeky offer
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited December 2013
    I'm out of my depth!  >:D<
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12257
    Calor Gas Heater is a must for early starts. Brrr! I have one in the garage that I use for woodwork. In the winter its as cold as it is outside.

"OUR TOSSPOT"
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    WezV;98789" said:
    I do think they are asking a lot if they are not going to dismantle or deliver.... i would be going for a cheeky offer
    Absolutely. A friend has just bought a shed - not on the same scale as the one the op linked to, but also a 'dismantle/collect yourself' job. It's costing him a whole tenner.

I do think he's done rather well, but I agree that the tantalised one might be priced a bit ambitiously :)
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Calor Gas Heater is a must for early starts. Brrr! I have one in the garage that I use for woodwork. In the winter its as cold as it is outside.

Do you not get a problem with condensation?