Devi Ever - Oh Bugger

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deviever/console-ii-cartridge-based-multi-fx-guitar-pedal/posts/683655

Looks like the Console project, for now, is dead. Kickstarter got her the cash she wanted but she's got to the bottom of the money before getting the pedal on the market, so that sucks. 

Impressive honesty compared with some Kickstarter success-then-failure stories but presumably she's used some of the investment for food, rent, whatever and not enough on building pedal stuff. 

Devi Ever the brad will apparently continue with someone else building the pedals and the Console project is all open-source so anyone can have at it if they want. I'm still not convinced there was ever big enough a market for it tbh, but it's a shame to see it fail.
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    edited December 2013
    How does the console thing differ from ZVex's make your own pedal thingy?

Other than one being an actual product that was made by someone who seems to have some business acumen...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    This doesn't really surprise me. 

The build quality woes I've heard about Devi stuff didn't convince me they would be able to pull this off. 
  • She hasnt cared for the industry for a couple of years. All she goes on about is games now.
  • Cirrus said:
    How does the console thing differ from ZVex's make your own pedal thingy?

Other than one being an actual product that was made by someone who seems to have some business acumen...
    The ZVex you've got to make stuff yourself, the console you have cartridges you plug into the pedal. Was a cool idea, hope someone takes it up and finishes it.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    File under: unsurprising.
  • Devi, the HCFX bullshit queen supreme. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I can't say I'm surprised, Devi has been flakey as long as I've known of her. The scope of the project was clearly too ambitious, maybe if she'd have just done the console 2 and a handful of carts as the start and gone from there it'd have come to something. It's a shame how little honest communication there was along the way, and you have to be skecpital as to how quickly she'll be able to repay $40k to the backers. Stuff like this (and the double fine adventure game) really put me off kick starter, I'm only backing projects which have a more certain timeline now. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deviever/console-ii-cartridge-based-multi-fx-guitar-pedal/posts?page=7 it was actually me who did this graphic, I think on MR or HCFX, I got no credit, and even an email asking if it was ok to use on there.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    edited July 2014
    I thought this thread title was going to continue with "oh bugger… I bought one and then I saw how it was built".

My only experience of them was looking inside a non-working Beautiful Disaster, which was as its name implied except without the beautiful bit. It was too much work economically to even find out how it was meant to be put together, let alone fix it.

I'm pretty sure I've never seen anything worse made, that wasn't a DIY project.

Edit: since this was originally posted I've seen another one, which if anything was even worse.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ragingbenragingben Frets: 107
    edited December 2013
    It's a shame it died, just hope that she does honor the guys that paid any money in to it. I admire her honesty as to where the money has gone, and do feel a bit sad it will probably never come to fruition, but at the end of the day she started a kickstarter for a product, and then appeared to become more interested in game development than the pedal biz, and if the 50% or whatever of the kickstarter money has gone on personal expenses you have to wonder if it has been inadvertently funding her game projects, which I can't imagine there is much money in to reimburse those who took a punt on the project. I know not all kickstarters succeed, but when you put money in you have trust that the project will be followed through without the organizer becoming bored.

On the note of her build quality I've seen varying degrees of quality on the ones I've owned, one was poor, the other was quite good. Both worked, but I didn't like the way the circuits were floating loose and wrapped in electrical tape... as I said, both worked well during the abusive period one had with me and the other is still enduring...
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Sorry, but the sincere apology for "mismanaging" the money is utterly piss poor. People weren't financing her to experiment with business acumen, or to fund an alternative career 'cause she got bored, they were financing a potential product (which in itself had little merit IMHO)
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited December 2013

Regardless of the frank apology something like this takes what should be a good and beneficial concept like Kickstarter and gives it a swift kick in bollocks.  She originally asked for 20000, got twice that and took the rest to live on.  People invested in a concept not her personal life.  If she had 'only' got the 20 grand she had asked for then what would she have done?  Run off with the cash or got off her arse?

I'm just counting the days until she's looking for investment in her new 8 bit game concepts.    :!!

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • dougjonezdougjonez Frets: 2

I'm just counting the days until she's looking for investment in her new 8 bit game concepts.    :!!

In a manner of speaking, it has already happened.
    She has asked for people to support her with a "living wage" of some 2,600 $US per month -- at various times it has been while she develops one of a few games (which game she resolves to focus on developing changes approximately monthly)
    However, now she asks for people to support her in crowdfunding style so she can live a 'creative lifestyle'

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    edited July 2014
    Cartridges that you plug into pedal 'docks' to change the effect? Like the Line6 Tonecore stuff, then?
    That didn't catch on either...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    dougjonez said:

She has asked for people to support her with a "living wage" of some 2,600 $US per month -- at various times it has been while she develops one of a few games (which game she resolves to focus on developing changes approximately monthly)
    However, now she asks for people to support her in crowdfunding style so she can live a 'creative lifestyle'

<eyes rolling>
    Some people have such a sense of entitlement.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited July 2014
    impmann;294894" said:
    Cartridges that you plug into pedal 'docks' to change the effect? Like the Line6 Tonecore stuff, then?
    Literally never knew these had a plug in type system, but you're absolutely right.

I didn't think she crowd funded anymore (I'm surprised anyone would donate to her!) but I did hear her podcast where she says she does webcam sex to maintain a living wage.

Also I won't fund 8 bit games. My phone has a Sega megadrive emulator which gives me access to every 16 bit megadrive game ever. Oh, and the game boy colour emulator.

And game boy advance, but being 32 bit that's a bit more advanced.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Can we please stop talking about the uber-twat known as Devi Ever?
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    dougjonez said:

Wouldn't we all like a creative lifestyle??? Shame about the reputation and permanent mouthing off, the Devi designs brought something different to the world of Fuzzes.
  • dougjonezdougjonez Frets: 2
    edited July 2014
    impmann said:
    There was also the PME40x in the 80s and the Electra "atari cartridge" guitars (onboard actives & effects)

The effects on the Korg were actually quite nice.  Two or three of the very unusual units (dist wah, waveshaper, Octave V) are still highly sought-after (though some of that may just be for rarity's sake)

The onboard Electra cartridges were relatively primitive, electronically speaking, even for the time - but they did offer a clean solution for some simple foundational effects (boosters for example) as long as one didn't expect too too much
  • She has special snowflake syndrome taken to the extreme. In this instance 'a creative lifestyle' is probably shorthand for someone else footing the bill while she pisses about with something she but no one else is interested in.
    The artist formerly known as WeAre138 at MusicRadar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom