One for the Sonic Youth fans

What's Hot
rprrpr Frets: 309
 DISCLAIMER=Probably not for the traditionalists amongst us

Excerpt of recent Lee Renaldo guitar clinic.i lucky enough to watch Thurston Moore up close in a small club playing with Chris Corsano as well as the Mirror/ Dash project with Kim gordon.
Amazing how nuanced and in control he was with extended techniques and feedback.
Wish this clip was longer
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    Ha! I WAS LITERALLY ABOUT TO POST THIS. LR is my favourite guitarist. I play using a lot of extended techniques and he's inspirational. I used the swing on a set of my own after seeing him last year. I'm trying to find a really great article i found about some fantastic extended techniques. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Ha!  I've been listening to Murray St. repeatedly today for the first time in years. 

Can't wait to watch this later. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12292
    I always think that this stuff sounds like people who can play pretending that they can't. I remember when Pavement came out, Malkmus has got mad chops but plays like he's only just picked it up. A bit hipster and self concious, playing from the head rather than the heart.

Same with math rock like Slint etc. Its interesting but it doesnt make me really feel anything. But what do I know.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    Some of the most "emotional" music i've ever heard was made in this exact way. I don't think extended techniques are very math though (and i think math is ridiculously gratuitous). Check out the work of Stian Westerhus for some good examples of emotion in this kind of work
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    I liked his comment about pedals and making do with what you've got.
  • iseverynamegoneiseverynamegone Frets: 1576
    edited January 2014
    Coolio. 'It's never about the gear , it's always about the intent and the idea'.
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    The daft bastard.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    The kid who brought his red strat along looks really disappointed after mom dropped him off.....
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock