New Snare Day.

What's Hot
octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
edited January 2016 in Other Instruments
New Snare Day courtesy of Gumtree.

DW Collectors Snare 14" x 4" in Olive Ash.
Seems to be virtually unused.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    nice!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Loud and deep for a 4".
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

That is a nice veneer.  Shit floor tiles though.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thread titles like this are probably an emotional rollercoaster for Sambostar.  He no doubt read the title and excitedly rushed in expecting to see some exciting new man-trapping and maiming device, then only to be bamboozled and disappointed by a photo wooden cylinder.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Shoot them with a compound bow.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Actually..erm..I was just thinking that whilst there is so much guitar modding there is little of any drum modding.  I quite fancy a kit in burl walnut to match my '30's furniture, or perhaps that is a little dark, maybe like octatonic's to match my floorstanders? 

I wonder if another 0.6mm of veneer it would affect the tone.

And seeing how snare's are so similar to banjos, what about banjo modding?

Sambostar said:

Actually..erm..I was just thinking that whilst there is so much guitar modding there is little of any drum modding.  I quite fancy a kit in burl walnut to match my '30's furniture, or perhaps that is a little dark, maybe like octatonic's to match my floorstanders? 

I wonder if another 0.6mm of veneer it would affect the tone.

And seeing how snare's are so similar to banjos, what about banjo modding?

You should check out Drummerworld forum- people do just as crazy stuff there all the time.
    Rewrapping a drum set is a fair bit of work.

Drummers are always swapping out skins, hoops, snare wires and throw-offs.
    Most drummers I know have at least half a dozen snares, two acoustic kits and an electric.

Drums are harder than guitar though so people are mostly practicing. :)

Noooo.  As much as I'd dearly love to, I only have this lifetime and have enough on my plate as it is without even going there.  I might give it a quick peep though.

I haven't even got a kit.  I used to play drums to myself when I basically slept rough in a sleeping bag on a concrete floor at -6C  in the barn whilst window fitting in London and trying to finish my degree for a year amongst other times as they had a kit there.  You could play as loud as you liked.  Yeah easy to play, but very difficult to play well.

I'd love to get a kit, I actually prefer drums to guitar, but it's the social acceptable thing that goes with them, the noise and nothing else feels like a hitting a real skin.  Maybe one day when I have a mortgage around my neck.

edited January 2016
    I started late- about 4 years ago but I've taken it pretty seriously and play at least an hour a day- today played for 4.
    I am better at drums than I was after having played guitar for 4 years but that is because I've been focussed on it from the start and on a tear to get good.
    Still, I am a year or so away from being able to gig as a drummer, at least at a level I'd like to gig at.

You can do an awful lot with a £25 practice pad and a set of sticks.
    I only spent an hour today on the kit*, the rest was playing rudiments on a practice pad.

Practice kit is a Roland V Drums kit- much more sociable than an acoustic kit and they feel pretty similar these days.

If you fancy a challenge try playing this:

It is a 3 bar loop where you play a cycle of 3 beats against 4/4 time.
    The trick is to count it as 4/4, not as a 3/4 pattern- so on the 4 of the first beat (the kick) you are back to the first part of the loop.
    Then kick is on the 3rd beat of the same bar, then the 2 of the next bar.
    Whilst you do this you play snare with the left hand on the 2nd and 3rd partial of the triplet and you keep time with the right hand on the ride cymbal.
    It is a really good independence exercise because you are never putting the kick on the 1st beat of the bar except at the start of the loop.

Cool huh?

Yeah, well once you have that down I have a sheet of 'improv exercises' that puts the ride cymbal all over the place.
    It is a monster exercise but has really helped.

• slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    Probably a bit more advanced than playing along to Apache by the Incredible Bongo Band which is my current warm up exercise.