Help for first build

RickydRickyd Frets: 149
Hi all, so up to now I've just been spraying bodys of some old jap guitars and refitting them. Then I spotted one of Jookys creations on the bay and couldnt resist it. My first full build and I so want to do it justice, but would very much appreciate ideas from you much more experienced chaps. Hopefully I've been able to post a pic of the body..and now I'm wondering what would look best. Maple or rosewood neck, slightly reliced chrome or bright and shiny..or black? I managed to snag one of Ash's pickups, also off the bay, so I'm halfway there in that department and will pick up another from him in due course. So, ideas?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RickydRickyd Frets: 149
    Bugger, that hasn't worked! Sorry I'll try again.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9984
    tFB Trader
    Wanna see, wanna see WANNA SEEEEEEEEEE
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• rprrpr Frets: 308

Is this the beastie?
    You, rpr sir, are a gent
    tFB Trader
    That's super cool, I think I'd put a rosewood board neck on  ... don't ask me why however :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

I think I was already leaning in that direction Ash, but fittings?
    tFB Trader
    Me ... I'd go ... strangely, cos I don't have a single guitar like it ... for black hardware.

• DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Odd, I was leaning towards maple (nice contrast with the dark body).
    tFB Trader
    Nah ... in a dark pub gig it'd look a disembodied neck waving about :)

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I like that, tis a pretty thing :)

I'd go for rosewood meself too - though a floating neck has possibilities :)

Over the next few years the body should slowly get more blueish as the top layer of copper becomes exposed as you play it/wear the beeswax off...

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7472
    edited December 2013
    Rosewood board and black or dull chrome/nickel hardware. Should look the nuts.

Or if you go Warmoth, an exotic neck would look nice, too. Maybe wenge. Or an ebony board.
    Rosewood board and black or dull chrome/nickel hardware. Should look the nuts.

Or if you go Warmoth, an exotic neck would look nice, too. Maybe wenge. Or an ebony board.

Dull chrome I think is my preference with the rosewood board, Thanks for all the ideas
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    TheGuitarWeasel;98961" said:
    Nah ... in a dark pub gig it'd look a disembodied neck waving about :)
    You say that like it's a bad thing...