Twang Corner

What's Hot
EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
I gave this some thought. And then some more. Had a little essay going on in my head - arguments and counter arguments. Then I thought sod it, let's post some random youtube* clips.

One of my favourite bands of recent years:

and the master at work:

and because this is about the twang in a broad sense (even if only a sense that makes sense in my head) - bit of baritone guitar on this?:

and this (quite possibly the greatest live band I ever saw, although that may not be evident from this clip) :

and because this is where you end up mooching around on youtube, Japanese girl band The Pebbles ( who seem to have the contents of a second hand amp shop behind them):

* I couldn't spot an obvious way to embed them?

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    but they came up embedded anyway! Now I can't work out how to edit my original comment. Always something new on theFB. 
    and before I head off to BandQ just realised this discussion is missing some Bambi Molesters: 

and because it isn't all about the surf (although maybe it is) something a bit closer to home, I give you ( Manchester funk Gods)The New Mastersounds:

• Excellent. Not sure if there are specific rules for the thread, but just so you don't feel like you're in it alone-

Here's- Girl Trouble

Green on Red

Somewhat more serious, Dan Stuart & Sacri Cuori-

And... Calexico

Hope you like some of these.
    BTW I think it's a six string bass on Guitar Town- however, when ever I've seen him the guitar player always manages it on a normal guitar, so I don't really know.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    edited August 2013
    Ah... Calexico. Brilliant! And very varied too. One of my favourite bands.

On the six-string bass thing, it's possible to set a standard guitar up as a baritone. I've done a couple of Teles like that - one a '69 Bigsby Tele. No modification needed other than widening the nut grooves. You essentially move the lower five strings across one position so the B becomes the top string, then add a new low B made from a bass string - I used double-ball-end strings with the normal bass ball-end cut off, leaving the small 'headstock' one which is the same size as a guitar ball-end. The Bigsby one I went even further and tuned down to A, using a 15 gauge top A, wound 22-gauge E (2nd!) and a 75-gauge low A, which was the largest that would fit into the tuner post. It worked perfectly - all on a standard scale length Tele.

And the world definitely needs more Mustang Basses.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Definitely no rules to the thread (and I couldn't impose them anyway!), just the sense that guitar forums tend to disappear up their own arses obsessing over 27 shades of rock and the electric guitar has a richer heritage (and present)than that.
    I can't view YouTube at the moment so looking forward to those later.
    The Japanese girl garage bands are an interesting thing. From what I've seen The Pebbles and The 5,6,7,8s and others have existed for years with ever changing line ups so they remain for ever young women playing garage rock on Mustangs even though the original members are grannies now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rprrpr Frets: 309
    I get fed up with the rock and bluesobsessions. Since it's random I'm gonna stick up a couple of bands i love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhecfKyKxfU&feature=related

• I'll blether more later, but have a Wow (or should it be wisdom...) for the Birthday Party & Gun Club, 2 of my faves. I was going to post Mother of Earth & will do later. I think your thread's doing good work Eric.
    edited August 2013
    More good stuff

These will probably stretch your taste buds a bit but to my mind more relevant than Joe Boeswhatdafukhisnameis.
  • As threatened here's Mother of Earth by The Gun Club.

I confess some of the experimental stuff is a bit of a reach for me personally, but so is a lot of what I like for others & it's good to see it here. I liked Keith Rowe the best & liked his paintings too.

This is probably a bit of a reach/bore for some, because it's apparenntly cliched- but too me it's also totally "right". Think it's just a Strat or a Tele.

I didn't know that you could convert an ordinary guitar to baritone, would like to see/hear one. TBH it would probably suit my "playing" better than a normal guitar. I'll now add this to the enormous list of things I'll never get round to doing though...:)

Calexico are one of my faves too, though as you say they are very varied & I can take or leave some of it. I think the stuff I like is brilliant though. Saw them in Glasgow this year.

Also didn't know that about the Japanese girl bands continuing with new members. It's almost like a family business.  I like Shonen Knife & have a couple of records. Think they usually play modern gear rather than Mustangs though.

Finally, I've never seen The Raveonettes mentioned here/the "old place", though I'm sure they're pretty well known. I think they fit the spirit of the thread very well all the same. Also like the Ventures signature Jazzmaster without the Rhythm circuit; though I'd like the normal scratchplate with no rhythm circuit holes even better.

edited August 2013
    I think this is pretty hard to beat, too -

And if there are no rules! Some brilliant bits of twang in this -

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Indeed it is. Would be even more better with some Calexico style Mexican trumpet over the orchestral bit- there I go with the cliches again though.
    And yes, you're right about the Ricky Martin, think I'm automatically resistant to it, having heard it amongst so much cak on radios at work over the years. Let's be honest, if I'd never heard it & Calexico covered it I'd almost certainly like it.
    There's some good twangs in a Britney Spears song too, can't remember which, but I'm not going to find it.
    historyisjunk;9672" said:
    ICBM said:

Indeed it is. Would be even more better with some Calexico style Mexican trumpet over the orchestral bit- there I go with the cliches again though.

And yes, you're right about the Ricky Martin, think I'm automatically resistant to it, having heard it amongst so much cak on radios at work over the years. Let's be honest, if I'd never heard it & Calexico covered it I'd almost certainly like it.

There's some good twangs in a Britney Spears song too, can't remember which, but I'm not going to find it.
    just catching up with the YouTube links on my phone. No idea how to post clips on my phone but if I did I'd take your Ricky Martin and raise you Sound of the Underground by Girls Aloud. Bit of a leap from the Derek Bailey track that was posted but s'all good.

edited August 2013
    I'll raise a Tammy Wynette- this is one of my favourite albums believe it or not

One more before I hit the sack-this is excellent

Toxic.

No idea how to post clips on my phone but if I did I'd take your Ricky Martin and raise you Sound of the Underground by Girls Aloud.
    Damn, that was next on my list :).

But there is one that beats Once Upon A Time In The West... and possibly all others... ever:

I have played the 007 theme at gigs in the past ( based on The Selecter version) but just to confused stares from the audience ( although possibly less confused then when I played the main theme to Hava Nagila as a solo in a Specials song).
    just catching up on some of the music threads - Tammy Wynette very much a voice from my childhood and I feel I've shamelessly ignored the Staples Singers over the years. Pop Staples was one of the great Magnatone amp users, a sound I really like. I'll throw in the guy who first made me aware of it:

• Needs more Link Wray:

Oh, that's the money shot ( inserts smiley/emoticon thing that I don't really understand but have now found the button so will use them regardless)  :)>-
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    edited August 2013
    One of my favourite guitar solos is from Teenage Fanclub's "I Need Direction". Incredibly simple, refreshingly brief and complements the sublime pop tune well. Solo at 2:46, apologies for the audio quality of this clip:

Some dirty twangin' from the magnificent Little Barrie:

Oh, I gonna put this up, cos their almost forgotten now and deserve better'
    Ladeez and gentlefolks I give you The Hook 'N Pull Gang