Bonnie Raitt on bbc4 friday night

What's Hot
EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
Can't remember who but sure there was somebody on here who is a big fan. I am slightly divided on her myself, some of the more MOR stuff doesn't float my boat although she has a great voice and I am sure there will be tasty guitar playing.
Sure Adele will be watching.
The Blues America series also continues which is well worth a look.
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    I wouldn't say I was a massive fan but I do like Ms Raitt and I've seen her play live a couple of times. Ta for the heads up ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I caught the last half and I was quite impressed. I suppose I'll check out the first half on iPlayer now.

Bonnie's slide guitar solo on Buddy Guy's version of "It Feels Like Rain" is an absolute masterpiece of understatement and subtlety. It only lasts a few seconds and there's not many notes, but, wow, it tells the whole story.
  • I saw her do a song on a late night talk show about 15 years ago, it was great.  I'm not a huge fan of all of her music but that one live clip demonstrated that she is the real deal, and she seemed so relaxed on stage.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

Well I managed to miss it, I'll have to catch it on iplayer. I did watch the John Fahey bio though, fascinating stuff. I'd never heard of him until now.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7336
    boogieman said:
    Well I managed to miss it, I'll have to catch it on iplayer. I did watch the John Fahey bio though, fascinating stuff. I'd never heard of him until now.
    nor me... but Pete Townsend seemed infatuous-ated....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Watched it on iPlayer last night and yeah it did all seem a bit tame. Basically the same set, but obviously cut down for tv, that she did at the Albert Hall gig. Obviously watching it live with the crowd atmosphere and decent sound adds an extra dimension.
  • I watched Part 2 of Blues America ( from the same night). This is surprisingly excellent. The surprise is that it is not just a rehash of all the things you think you know about the history of the blues and there are some great clips and interviews. I was quite struck by some of the descriptions of racial segregation, especially in the week of Mandela's death, and how recent those Coloreds Only type signs were. The one story was about taking the train from New York to Mississippi ( this in the early 1960's) and how the train stopped south of Washington so all the black passengers could be moved into the rear carriages.

Bonnie is one of the interviewees on that. As well as being very talented what a remarkably strong minded woman, hanging out with old black blues guys when she was young in, presumably,defiance of a lot of people.         
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    If the rumours are true, she did slightly more than hang out with some of them. ;)
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited December 2013
    wasnt one of her best performances by a long shot.
    To say Im a fan is putting it a bit strong, but have been 'respectful' of her music for donkeys...... Me and mrs bert were a tad disappointed............... She was definitely 'holding' her voice back near the end............. she's a good slide player, and has a quite amazing set of pipes, effortless singing........ especially considering her age and how long she's been in the business.  

The music, I agree can be a bit............. "lacking" when its too close to centre.............

Her earlier stuff, especially some of the live shows  are great.   Her work with JLH for instance...........  couple of  good youtubes  -  Her version of "Dimming of the Day",  and "Angel from Montogmery"a  nd one of her own "I cant make you love me"   -   "  all worth checking out

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yup I can't make you love me is one of her best, I like Matters of the Heart too, real lump in the throat song.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    theres one version of ICMYLM, where she holds an unexpected note near the end.......... WOW !
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Her slide solo on Buddy Guy's "Feels Like Rain" is something else - masterpiece of subtlety and restraint. Highly impressive.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7336
    boogieman said:
    If the rumours are true, she did slightly more than hang out with some of them. ;)
    She was  - a right goer... and a coke head... I wouldn't have minded a go though... not sure now... would need some inducement...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>