BASS AMP need some help!

therose789therose789 Frets: 467
Do any of you guys play bass?

Through the years my bass rig has got smaller but not really lighter!

I have had an svt cl and 8x10 then have gone down to an orange ag200 and 4x10 which isn't much lighter really!

I'm looking for something small but powerful. I like a more warm "vintage" type sound. What's on the market at the moment? I have had my eye on a mark bass tte501 but I'm open to suggestions.

What y'all using?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited January 2016
    I'm using an Orange Terror Bass 500 head with a Barefaced Gen2 Midget cab.

The Orange (recently discontinued) is warm and massively loud one-trick pony that puts out a real 500W into 4 or 8 ohms. Weighs 10lbs. Not for everyone mind. 

The Midget is a ridonkolous 1x12" that weighs just 20lbs, which changed my life. It's made in leafy Brighton and has hardly ever needed reinforcement in any indoor gig I've done with it... about 300 shows. It's nuts. 

Not my pic, but looks like this.

The Markbass idea is pretty good, so do check out Barefaced, the newer Gen3 cabs are even better. They make 1x10s, 2x10s, 1x12s, 12 + mid drivers, all the way up to 8x10s. After a heavy old-school 4x10, you won't believe it. You'll probably get more volume with either their retro Two10 or the Big Baby 2, and they both weigh 30lbs. 

• slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    Markbass 1x12 combo with the vpl filters (whatever they do). It's loud, small, light and is expandable with another cab and it has a decent di out. 

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24267
    I use a pair of Bergantino CN112 cabs with. TecAmp Puma head. Darkglass pedals for grit.

Nice light rig with plenty of juice.
  • I've got a Hydrive 4x10 which is pretty light. Easier to move than my Mesa 2x12s for guitar.

I use the same power amp for guitar and bass (Matrix GT1000FX) but there are loads of powerful lightweight amps eg Markbass. I'd be tempted to use a preamp pedal for the warmth, a lightweight head and a lightweight cab.

• JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    I've been very happy using a Gallien Krueger MB210 combo for the last couple of years, I was looking for a Mark Bass combo to tour pubs , clubs and small festival stages but these are much cheaper, very light and sound really great. it also has a great DI.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Not tried the Barefaced but know the Markbass stuff. The 1x15 Jeff Berlin combo is fantastic. Huge sound.
  • having retired from bassplaying, my old rig is gathering dust in the spare room, loved the sound of this, handled my 5 string without any problems, however if you're in a Motorhead tribute band this won't be for you, ideal for pubs, clubs & hotel gigs, SWR Working Mans 10 combo with matching 1x10 cab, would have to be cash on collection only from sunny devon, pm me if its of any interest, mike b.