7 string guitar opens up scales for me

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
well, I say scales, I only really use one!

Toying a bit right now on a very poor 7 string guitar. I have found that it opens me up to playing improv in a different way, and play different things.

I could just look at it as a 6 string +1, in which case I play the same/sound the same (but with a few lower notes thrown in), however, if I think of the scale as completely 'new' box patterns that start from the low B string, I seem to not rely on playing the way that I always do, but find different things to do. 

Anyway, I just found that interesting. Not sure I described it very well though!?!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    edited January 2016
    Can be a bit of a mindf*ck when you DO want to play "normally", and the Low A vs Low B schism.

(I had a lovely Dean acoustic 7 which I couldn't invest time in getting to grips with - I will again I think)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    axisus said:
    well, I say scales, I only really use one!

Toying a bit right now on a very poor 7 string guitar. I have found that it opens me up to playing improv in a different way, and play different things.

I could just look at it as a 6 string +1, in which case I play the same/sound the same (but with a few lower notes thrown in), however, if I think of the scale as completely 'new' box patterns that start from the low B string, I seem to not rely on playing the way that I always do, but find different things to do. 

Anyway, I just found that interesting. Not sure I described it very well though!?!
    Well done, I'm a big 7 string fan too...........
    :)
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    I'm considering making my next guitar build a 7 string rather than a 6. Just thinking about it at the moment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10690
    If you want really juicy, delicious scales, tune it to CABBAGE.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom