What Nylon sting guitar do I need

What's Hot

I bought an Alhambra Electro Nylon earlier in the year and although it is almost what I want, I'm finding the action is a little high even after getting it lowered to it's minimum and now with the way I play the treble strings move around a little over the bridge.  I use Pro Arte hard tension at the moment and could go to extra hard but this would probably make even harder to play.

The action on the bass side is 4-5mm and 3-4 on the treble at the 12th fret.  This is perfect for classical but I play quite different styles as well and think perhaps I should get another guitar for the non classical stuff.  So my question is what would fit the bill, I need something with a decent acoustic sound that can get a lower action having some adjustability.  Nut wise I'm happy with 52mm classical, 50mm fine as well although crossover might be getting a little narrow (yes I'm a fussy bugger)

Here's a few clips I've played on the guitar.  The first one I recorded today and you can really hear the strings flicking about on the saddle due to the break angle being at it's minimal and my hard playing style (it's not so bad for classical)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtO5Dg5b5Cs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-gAyx53DXo&feature=youtu.be

Would a Yamaha NCX fit the bill?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10682
    edited January 2016
    Ibanez ae450 or alvarez rc20sc. Thin necks and deep florentine cutaways.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • vizviz Frets: 10682
    Lovely playing by the way!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    edited January 2016
    I think a Cordoba guitar might be the solution to your problems, in particular the GK series be it the Pro or Studio models, which have an adjustable necks and 50mm wide nuts.  

The Camps MC-5, has a 52mm wide and a cutaway, and adjustable neck as well. 

Both ranges are flamenco guitars so will be set up for around 3mm for the bass strings, with room for adjustment. 

How much do you have to spend?  Are you looking for something with a cutaway? 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4689

Thanks for the replies, I will check those out @viz

@earwighoney not sure on budget, probably £800 for the right guitar.  I have an Alhambra 5P CW E2 which is almost the right guitar but it's just not made to get a lower action.  I bought it online because there are not many places that stock this type of guitar.   I was looking at Cordoba but Thomann was the only real option so it would have been a gamble also.

I could do with trying the GK's out, I'd probably want to try the Negra models out.   I could certainly afford the Studio and would probably swap the pickups and sell the Alhambra with the presys blend and keep the Alhambra's pro blend. 

Re cutaway, yes I need one.  I'll at some point get a purely acoustic non cutaway classical but this needs to be electro with a cutaway.

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
    Don't forget about our stuff. We have the NTX (smaller neck and body) and also the NCX (more traditional neck and body). 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4689
    Don't forget about our stuff. We have the NTX (smaller neck and body) and also the NCX (more traditional neck and body). 

Hi @rossyamaha the NCX is high on my list, I should be trying it out soon. Can the action go pretty low on the NCX, to Flamenco hight?