New Acoustic Player - Howdy Folks!

What's Hot

Hi Folks

Thought I'd stop by and introduce myself properly in the acoustic forum as I play purely acoustic!

I'm fairly new to the guitar, been playing around 6 months. Enjoying every moment!

I started with the Justin Guitar beginners course, but found myself easily distracted ("OOH LOOK A YOUTUBE VIDEO!") and decided that I was only going to be able to make so much progress without some face time with a tutor. So earlier this month I took my first proper lesson. Hit it off with the teacher straight away, so now signed up for one every two weeks, which I'm really looking forward to.

I play on a Takamine EG440SC which I picked up for a song. It's my 30th birthday in May and I've already decided that I'm going to treat myself (with a little help from the family) to a 'lifetime' guitar, something that I can grow into, and then with, and then hand down when I'm old(er) and grey(er). I'm looking so far at the 000-15 or 16 series Martins, though maybe the budget could stretch to a used 18.

I was an avid golfer until I picked up a guitar, and since that point I've had no interest in any other hobby. The guitar has literally consumed my every waking thought. The plus side of that is that around 50% of my new guitar fund has come just from selling off golf gear - win win!

I like to play mostly fingerstyle type stuff rather than being a strummer - I don't (can't) sing, so I find myself a lot more interested in pieces that have a bit more going on than strumming from the guitar, if that makes sense.

The sort of artists I like are people like Ben Howard, Damien Rice, but also older stuff like James Taylor, Simon & Garfunkel etc. Also I've only just discovered John Mayer - I saw his 'Where The Light Is' live DVD and it blew me away. Absolutely phenomenal. He's my new 'guitar hero'. I also have a big soft spot for Matchbox Twenty - they were the first band I really got into in my early teens.

I have a real desire to get into more bluesy stuff as I progress with my learning.

I'm most definitely not a natural, it's been hard work so far (but also rewarding). I have hypermobility in my fingers which certainly adds its challenges to learning new hand skills, but what's life without a little challenge, eh?! 

Anyway, that's more than enough about me! This place seems very friendly and I look forward to chatting more with you guys (and girls) over time!

Cheers
Martin

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    edited January 2016
    Welcome - you've definitely found the right place, plenty of advice to be had - especially when it comes to buying something new and shiny/old and knackered looking..

Bar to the left (Mine's a Guiness ta!) - leave your wallet at home before visiting the Classifieds and watch yourself in Speaker's Corner, their bite is worse than their bark

Who are you having lessons with, btw?

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920

Thanks Jooky! :-)

I'm having lessons with a chap called Sol at 'Your Guitar Academy' here in Bristol.

• BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    edited January 2016
    Hey Martin, welcome. I can't help but say something about your lifetime guitar choice. Do try loads of different ones and try to buy with your fingers as well as your eyes, if you get what I mean. It's so easy to fixate on certain brands, such as Martin, but there are loads of great guitars out there, and the best thing is to get one that really 'fits' you. A guitar for life is a guitar for life. Otherwise you're just another victim of GAS. My lifetime guitar turned out to be a Taylor. I have a mate whose lifetime guitar is a Larrivee. Both, I think in a similar price bracket to what you've been looking at so far. BTW I have another mate who loves his Martin OM (I don't get on with it at all). He also bought a small body Gibson, but a year down the road, he has never been happy with it and is wondering about getting rid. Good luck!
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    That's good to know. I'm sort of 're-learning' at the moment and conscious that my son is making me look like a complete amateur these days  (which I am, but who needs a daily reminder?) - so some lessons may be a good idea methinks :)

BahHumbug;951559" said:
    Hey Martin, welcome. I can't help but say something about your lifetime guitar choice. Do try loads of different ones and try to buy with your fingers as well as your eyes, if you get what I mean. It's so easy to fixate on certain brands, such as Martin, but there are loads of great guitars out there, and the best thing is to get one that really 'fits' you. A guitar for life is a guitar for life. Otherwise you're just another victim of GAS. My lifetime guitar turned out to be a Taylor. I have a mate whose lifetime guitar is a Larrivee. Both, I think in a similar price bracket to what you've been looking at so far. BTW I have another mate who loves his Martin OM (I don't get on with it at all). He also bought a small body Gibson, but a year down the road, he has never been happy with it and is wondering about getting rid. Good luck!
    Thanks, appreciate your thoughts and totally agree on all points!

I have done lots and lots of Internet research etc but the real fun will come in a couple of months when I spend every free weekend playing just about every guitar I can get my hands on!

I'm going to play all brands, body sizes, materials etc and wouldn't be at all surprised to find myself wanting something different to what I think I want now!

I can't even buy a toaster without spending days evaluating all the options so I definitely won't be spending that kind of money without a lot of due diligence! :)
    JookyChap;951560" said:
    That's good to know. I'm sort of 're-learning' at the moment and conscious that my son is making me look like a complete amateur these days  (which I am, but who needs a daily reminder?) - so some lessons may be a good idea methinks :)
    Are you also in Bristol then?
  • Welcome to the forum.

As I always tell my dad Golf is a good walk spoiled, so it's good you've seen the light.

Regards guitars a used OM21 was sold recently for £1100 on the Fretboard classifieds.
    Thanks! Ha, yes I like that quote! The good news also of course is that a round of golf is costly, and 6 hours at home with my guitar costs nothing, and I feel like I've achieved something.

If you'd ever seen me play golf then you'd know that's not a feeling I'd have after a round :D
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    BRISTOL86 said:

I like to play mostly fingerstyle type stuff rather than being a strummer - I don't (can't) sing, so I find myself a lot more interested in pieces that have a bit more going on than strumming from the guitar, if that makes sense.

Welcome!

If you are fairly new to the guitar then you may not have come across flatpicking as an area to get into. Lots of people think that it's either finger picking or strumming and that's it, but there is a lot more that you can do with a plectrum/flatpick on an acoustic guitar! Check out a master flatpicker:

Just another area to explore.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    if you're going to be trying a load of guitars and haven't been yet, I'd recommend World Guitars in Stonehouse. Their acoustic room is a good environment for trying out. They are mainly a Taylor dealer, but they usually have a couple of Martins and Gibsons, the odd phenomenally expensive PRS, and occassionally a random second hand Lowden. They also have a sumptuous stock of electrics. If they like the look of you they might even make you a coffee!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Wotcher !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    BahHumbug said:
    if you're going to be trying a load of guitars and haven't been yet, I'd recommend World Guitars in Stonehouse. Their acoustic room is a good environment for trying out. They are mainly a Taylor dealer, but they usually have a couple of Martins and Gibsons, the odd phenomenally expensive PRS, and occassionally a random second hand Lowden. They also have a sumptuous stock of electrics. If they like the look of you they might even make you a coffee!
    Thanks for the heads up, will check them out for sure!
    Lewy said:
    BRISTOL86 said:

Welcome!

If you are fairly new to the guitar then you may not have come across flatpicking as an area to get into. Lots of people think that it's either finger picking or strumming and that's it, but there is a lot more that you can do with a plectrum/flatpick on an acoustic guitar! Check out a master flatpicker:

Thanks for that, great video! I'm presently hopeless with a pick, where I've pretty much used only my fingers for anything other than strumming basic chords, my tutor is having me use a pick for most of the picking exercises he's got me doing as I definitely want to get better at using one!
    BahHumbug said:
    Thanks for the heads up, will check them out for sure!
    Lewy said:
    BRISTOL86 said:

Welcome!

Thanks for that, great video! I'm presently hopeless with a pick, where I've pretty much used only my fingers for anything other than strumming basic chords, my tutor is having me use a pick for most of the picking exercises he's got me doing as I definitely want to get better at using one!
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
    Hi Bristol86

I'm a fellow Bristolian and would highly recommend a Kinkade as your 'guitar for life'. Jonny has a workshop in Kingsdown and he is a top bloke and great luthier.

Welcome and as Mark says, be prepared to 'lose your shirt' on classifieds purchases! Great forum with some lovely peeps!

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10229
    Hi Martin,welcome to the forum.

I've just started playing too.I know it's going into a lower budget,but have you considered the Sigma ranch of acoustics?

I've recently bought this,

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/acoustic_guitars_detail.asp?stock=151214291475008

All solid woods and a cracking little guitar.Maybe not a 'lifetime' guitar but worth a thought.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    edited January 2016
    robwright said:
    Hi Bristol86

I'm a fellow Bristolian and would highly recommend a Kinkade as your 'guitar for life'. Jonny has a workshop in Kingsdown and he is a top bloke and great luthier.

Welcome and as Mark says, be prepared to 'lose your shirt' on classifieds purchases! Great forum with some lovely peeps!
    Hi Rob

Greets to a fellow Bristolian! Or should I say alright me luvver! Whereabouts in Bristol are you?

Just checked out the website - lovely looking guitars! Though well out of my price range unfortunately, we're talking £1,500 max and that's really stretching it! 
    Hi Martin,welcome to the forum.

I've just started playing too.I know it's going into a lower budget,but have you considered the Sigma ranch of acoustics?

I've recently bought this,

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/acoustic_guitars_detail.asp?stock=151214291475008

All solid woods and a cracking little guitar.Maybe not a 'lifetime' guitar but worth a thought.
    Hi Breakstuff

I've heard nothing but good things about Sigma, but you know when you've got your heart set on something and nothing else feels right in your head? I kind of feel that way about it right now (though am more than prepared for my opinion to change when I get out and play anything and everything I can get my hands on!)
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    Brilliant first post, im an avid acoustic player, and I find it the most beautiful of guitar forms, I play finger style (lol) and have never used a plectrum, not even for when I'm shredding on my electric, I love the fact I can get more tones without a plec by using the pads and nails, softening or hardening the attack when needed.

Welcome to the forum.
    Brilliant first post, im an avid acoustic player, and I find it the most beautiful of guitar forms, I play finger style (lol) and have never used a plectrum, not even for when I'm shredding on my electric, I love the fact I can get more tones without a plec by using the pads and nails, softening or hardening the attack when needed.

Welcome to the forum.
    Thanks Strangefan

I definitely wouldn't say I won't ever be wanting to pick up an electric and diversify, but I agree, there's something beautiful about picking up a piece (ok, some pieces) of wood and some strings and making sounds with it (not sure if we can really call what I'm doing 'music' at this point) :D

It's a shame that there is seemingly so little interest in acoustic guitars in comparison to electrics - though I guess an electric guitar will always have that 'rock star' appeal! Though I do love that acoustic/folky music seems to be enjoying something of a renaissance!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    And long may it continue, when we finally run out of fossil fuels, everyone one wil be playing acoustic, we're just ahead of the curve!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom