Calling Jamplay users!

What's Hot
Do you recommend the site/content?

I found a 50% off voucher which makes it $9.99 (what's that - about £7) a month and cancellable at any time down the line.

Looking at the sheer volume of content it seems in theory a no brainer, for the cost of a couple of cups of coffee per month. Especially considering my lessons with a tutor are costing me £25 an hour! (I'd be using Jamplay alongside face to face instruction - not as a substitute).

I know there's an awful lot of free material out there - YouTube etc, but I do like the 'everything in one place' solution.

One other point is that I play purely acoustic guitar. I imagine a fair bit of the content is perhaps not appropriate to an acoustic player?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks
Martin
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7323
    I like it. Only problem is there's too much on there, so I can't decide what I want to learn and I end up just not going on there.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920

DefaultM said:
    I like it. Only problem is there's too much on there, so I can't decide what I want to learn and I end up just not going on there.
    Thanks for that! It certainly does seem very diverse and lots of content! I'm into a couple of specific genres/styles (for now anyway!) as a beginner, so hopefully I can find some focus, if I do sign up!
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7323
    As a beginner it would be great, as I think there is a beginners course on there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks, I found a week free trial where you can access a handful of beginner lessons and I think it'll definitely be worth having access to for a year or so to supplement my real lessons.
  • Totally worth it IMO. 
    Truefire also looks good but I think it'd be information overload.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    edited February 2016
    I think Jamplay and Truefire are both good for the more advanced players, too. 

Truefire has some great players on, half considering signing up too but like I said... so much info! I feel dizzy just looking at the amount of Truefire lessons.

I like the jamplay setup better and it's perhaps best to stick to one. 

Thanks @thomasross20

I actually went ahead and signed up on Sunday and loving it so far. For £7 a month (presuming the discount code I found isn't only valid for the first month - we'll see!) it seems crazy value. Even though I made my way through most of the Justin Guitar beginner course, I've started right back at square one and am finding the lessons enjoyable/engaging even though I've sat through 2 hours of content and not yet covered anything I didn't already know. That has to be a good sign for when I get onto more exciting material!

I didn't really explore Truefire before signing up to JamPlay, so I'll avoid looking for now!
  • Yes, avoid for now ! :)
    Truefire has lots of free videos so you can compare if you like, though...

I'm addicted to the fretboard note finder game...
    Yes, avoid for now ! :)
    Truefire has lots of free videos so you can compare if you like, though...

I'm addicted to the fretboard note finder game...
    It looks fun! I've barely touched upon music theory in my lessons yet, so I'm a little ways off of that being a viable pastime for me! Looks addictive though! :)
  • Seriously, have a go at it! :)
    I'll have a look :)
  • GuitarZeroGuitarZero Frets: 254
    edited February 2016
    Totally worth it IMO. 
    Truefire also looks good but I think it'd be information overload.
    I like Truefire, though I don't subscribe, I just buy the odd course now and then.  They are always having sales and you can pick a course up for about a tenner if you keep your eyes open.

It's also worth adding them to Facebook if you use it because they often give away a free months trial to new customers via their page. It can be information overload, but choose a course carefully and work your way through it.  You have to have focus and discipline though or it's easy to flit between courses and never finish one.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    I think maybe purchasing a dedicated, specific course on Truefire is the way to go. 
    It really is information overload with 25, 000+ lessons...............!!

I prefer the jamplay videos (those mics by their faces on Truefire I find annoying) - the angles are better and they look better. It just suits me better. But I'll keep an eye out for good Truefire courses that might cover something jamplay doesn't.