Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What is a fair price for music lessons

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4980
Per hour. I know little theory and intend to concentrate on bass playing, both technique and note choices.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30904
    Depends.

From @thisisguitar- £50 ish.

From @raymondlin £5 but you get a free morsel of photograhed food served on a piece of building material.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    Free lesson for you @Gassage

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28157
    £35 an hour for my cello lessons.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2016
    I used to pay £35 an hour for piano lessons a couple years ago.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30904
    Free lesson for you @Gassage

Totally unhygenic. Why it is served on wood rather than a porcelain plate is beyond my comprehension.

You cannot clean wood like you can crockery.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2016
    I pour boiling water over them AFTER they are cleaned and never touches raw meat.

I don't see any difference in cutting fruit and veg on a wooden board and then eat them or make a salad, unless you cook all your fruits and salads.  

and because it looks pretty :p 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    edited January 2016
    It does look great... Mmmm...
    Thumbs up for served on a wooden platter!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28157
    Gassage said:
    Totally unhygenic. Why it is served on wood rather than a porcelain plate is beyond my comprehension.

You cannot clean wood like you can crockery.
    Most woods are naturally anti-bacterial.

Though I much prefer plates to having food served on something that isn't a plate. Slates are worst - cutlery-on-slate is my nails-down-a-blackboard.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405

I charge £25 an hour for guitar or keys. That's coming to my place rather than me going to the student. Most the guys I know teaching tend to charge between £25 and £30
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • For the record, I charge £25 per hour in Birmingham... all students come to me.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    My first lesson comes in less than £25 but possibly further lessons will cost more. Friday week, 12th February, is the date of my lesson
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I pay £20 for my guitar lessons at my teachers house. I do get 1 free cup of tea with that so factor it in.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I pay £20 for my guitar lessons at my teachers house. I do get 1 free cup of tea with that so factor it in.
    Will he knock 10p off if I take my own tea in a flask?
  • Most good teachers I've worked with in London have been £40 an hour upwards.

And I'm not sure how they managed to pay the rent on their London places even at those prices...
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    In Ireland the more usual way is to give a certain number of lessons for the total upfront payment after the first lesson. The first lesson is to determine your ability, requirements and playing skills. Which seems fair enough.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• I used to charge £30 per hour as per the MU guidelines (which may have changed since), and asked for payment with booking, plus you could change your lesson arrangement if you did so with at least 48 hours notice.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Can't remember what I paid but with my son I used to book in half an hour lessons for his drums. I guess it's a bit more physical but a packed half an hour gave enough to be working on for the week.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7852
    edited February 2016
    To me, the teacher is more important that the price they charge.  I had lessons when I was younger, and like the occasional top up lesson when I want to learn a new technique, or when I feel like I'm heading backwards.

My first guitar teacher (1985) was excellent.  Organised, diligent, prepared, very patient, and very communicative. I've moved to the other side of the country, so was never able to go back to him.  I've tried many other teachers since, they vary from good to terrible, some were downright impatient and rude. One came around to my house, and noodled at my for 45 minutes before I sent him packing.

Finding a teacher you can work with and connect with is the key.  If they cost more, they'll be worth it.

I'm not say most guitar teachers are bad.  I'm just saying that a few that I've tried shouldn't have been teaching, didn't have people skills, or seem to be making it up as they go along.

Marlin
  • derndern Frets: 357
    I pay £35 for an hour's lesson for my daughter and I pay £38 for an hour for me with a different tutor but I get a free beer ;)

This is in berkshire by the way.