Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What is a fair price for music lessons

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• For the record, I charge £25 per hour in Birmingham... all students come to me.

£25 in Birmingham? Isn't that about the average monthly mortgage payment on a three bedroom house in Brum?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    I have group lessons (currently only 2 of us in the group) with a tutor as it works out cheaper. £13 per hour.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    If the teacher is a well known name, are popular and can actually teach, they get a higher price for lessons, but are sometimes choosy about the level they will teach and usually teach more advanced players.

You can sometimes get a well known player, who's not a teacher, to give you a one off lesson in their area of expertise. This is great, if you're are learning something very specific.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • For the record, I charge £25 per hour in Birmingham... all students come to me.

£25 in Birmingham? Isn't that about the average monthly mortgage payment on a three bedroom house in Brum?
    In Alum Rock maybe... Not in Harborne darling :-)

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited February 2016
    Yes to what Guy's saying, the well known players / teachers do tend to charge a lot, though you can get lucky and land yourself a fantastic musician who charges reasonable rates, but that's rare and I agree with Guy that they have to want to teach you.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    I have a Sax acquaintance who charges £60 and hour and for 'no show' too...

I charge ~£20 for a 'session' - often slips over the hour. They come to me.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I had my first bass lesson yesterday.  My teacher showed me how to sound notes [damping etc.] and where the root notes are.  Generally I enjoyed the lesson but found some of the details a bit overwhelming as it gets harder to concentrate when you are no longer in your early twenties.

Next lesson is a fortnight away.  Plenty to work on in the meantime.  For the third lesson, the teacher plans to play his drums and show me how to lock into the rhythm.  Things like that you cannot learn from a book.  Or I can't anyway.

As always, tips and suggestions are very welcome and appreciated.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • armitaanarmitaan Frets: 378
    Shout out to James Tomlinson in south Bristol , £100 for five lessons, top guy, remembers everything lesson he's ever given you
  • Gassage said:

You cannot clean wood like you can crockery.
    thats not what your fella said ;-)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • £25 seems to be standard around my way

Some charge £10 some charge £35-£40
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    20 - 40 round here.  £40 should get you someone really good. I pay that but he's worth it

• rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    edited February 2016
    Gassage said:
    Free lesson for you @Gassage

Totally unhygenic. Why it is served on wood rather than a porcelain plate is beyond my comprehension.

You cannot clean wood like you can crockery.
    Wrong.

When the EU was trying to ban wooden chopping boards some years ago, and make us all use plastic, they discovered that wood is actually more hygenic, as has been said above.  Mind you, for eating, I, too, prefer a plate.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    £27 in Bromley
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • xsheqxsheq Frets: 71
    I wouldn't teach for an hour. 30 minutes is generally enough for learning. An hour seems to result in observed practice which seems a bit pointless. I only charge £10 for 30 minutes. I like to keep music learning accessible.