F spacing myths?

What's Hot
DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
Hello all. I've seen a few people saying that F spacing is pretty much a myth (most recently in @hymnal's classified thread) in terms of it making much of a difference.

Can anyone with more pickup knowledge weigh in on this? I thought it was something to do with the type of magnets in the pickups, with bar magnets not needing a specific spacing, but pole magnets being a little more sensitive to it. No idea if that's correct though!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    huh? My thread? I always thought it was a bit of a myth to be fair, the magnets of a pickup have overlapping "magnetising" ranges so essentially the entire pickup will be able to pick up vibrations. That's how i've always thought of it anyhow
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Oops! I meant @octatonic. I'd been salivating over your Gibson pickups for sale and obviously mixed the two up. Doh. Sorry.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Don't know how much difference it makes, sound-wise, probably none, but it can look 'wrong'. On some guitars, it looks worse than on others, and for that reason alone, I would use the 'correct' spaced pickup..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10342
    tFB Trader
    Have a look at how far an original 1972 Tele Deluxe strings miss the Wide Range poles by ... then tell me if it matters for anything other than the 'look' :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33792
    My take on it was a big issue then you've have a difference in amplitude when bending strings.
    Maybe the string balances changes a bit- but it is so minimal to my ears, and that is pretty much all that matters to me.

If it is convenient then I try to match them up but I've used 53mm pickups on Les Pauls and 50mm on strats loads of times and the world hasn't ended. :)
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3005
    Well on the one hand yeah, I get where you're coming from given that many many people were cheerfully slapping non F spaced Buckers in the bridge position of their Fenders with stellar results.

But equally it seems odd to wilfully ignore the right pole spacing when making a bridge pickup specifically for that purpose. If you see what I mean ?
  • I find pole heights can make a big difference on single coils (vintage stagger is a bugger on strats with 12" radius) but F-spacing has never bothered me. 

My Cabronita has a wide bridge and narrow TV Jones pickups and it's absolutely fine. Likewise I had an old Jag with humbuckers that was absolutely fine.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    DrBob said:
    Well on the one hand yeah, I get where you're coming from given that many many people were cheerfully slapping non F spaced Buckers in the bridge position of their Fenders with stellar results.

But equally it seems odd to wilfully ignore the right pole spacing when making a bridge pickup specifically for that purpose. If you see what I mean ?

This. Oct makes a good point with bending too, though most pickups are quite balanced to take this into account and the difference between f and g spacing is only a matter of mm anyhow. Most guitars you look at the pickup poles don't line up exactly with the strings either
    @DrBob - If I was looking to buy new, I'd totally agree. However, I tend to buy used, so wouldn't want to pass up a bargain just for the sake of spacing if it doesn't actually matter that much.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    The best sounds I've had out of my custom 24 were after trying a couple of different pickups - the ones it ended up with, despite another 2 or 3 alternatives I tried are standard 50mm spacing.   So I'm convinced that it doesn't affect the sound - but it still bugs me.  I've just bought a set of the same p/ups in 53mm spacing so when I fit them I'll report back if I can hear any improvement apart from the cosmetics.
    Interesting, let us know.
    TheGuitarWeasel;100062" said:
    Have a look at how far an original 1972 Tele Deluxe strings miss the Wide Range poles by ... then tell me if it matters for anything other than the 'look' :)
    Thanks Ash! The reason I ask is my homebrew tele deluxe could do with some new pickups, but the bridge doesn't seem to be as wide as a proper deluxe.