humidifier for acoustics in the UK

What's Hot
I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on using humidifiers here in the the uk. Do we need to use them or should we used them. If so which brand do u guys recommend. I've been looking at the humidipak? Regards dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    edited February 2016
    they are a very good idea, especially for solid-wood acoustics

I keep my guitars out of the cases, in a stable-termperature room, and use a hygrostat and room humidifier to keep them within recommended limits

Some people will tell you it doesn't matter. It does, all the makers say it does, and when you try it you find your guitars don't go out of tune, don't change neck relief, the tops don't shrink and expand, and you don't get corrugation effects on the top, or cracks.

don't get an ultrasonic one, they can make you ill unless you clean them every few days
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited February 2016
    If a quality acoustic gets 'very' dry, it can cause a lot of damage - in particular splits in the top. The reason for this is that the top, bracing, sides and back all expand and contract at different rates as they gain of loose moisture. To keep the instrument in some kind of equilibrium, it needs to be kept in an environment akin to the one it was built in (typically 45-50% RH).

Where this becomes an issue is during winter months, in centrally heated houses. Radiators quickly dry the air to (sometimes significantly) below this level,

I keep my acoustics in their cases, in a room where the radiator is turned down significantly lower than the rest of the house. I have a hygrometer measuring the room humidity. In winter, it's about 40% - which is lower than most makers recommend - but only marginally so.

I tend to dry towels in the room to help keep the level up.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    i started using a nifty gel pack in my acoustic guitars case and started always putting the Guitar in it whilst not playing, its never sounded better. Definite improvement in tone....
  • What's a nifty gel pack?
  • I've always found the opposite - my acoustics absorb moisture and the top swells, raising the action. A lot of what you hear is from the US, where they have dry summers and cold dry winters when they have the heating on full blast. My hygrometer doesn't often read below 60%. There's been constant rain for weeks and not really that cold so the heating isn't on that much.

It's good to be aware of it though, whether it's too damp or too dry. Get a hygrometer and learn to recognise the signs of both on your guitar. Taylor have some youtube videos on the subject.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    Move to Scotland.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4257
    My house in Scotland is regularly hovering around 30% in winter, sometimes quite a bit below that on cold clear days with the heating on.

@ToneControl. Would you mind sharing your setup re humidifying the room? I currently keep in cases and humidify there, but would love to have a proper setup to keep the room stable. Don't mind spending a bit as have some decent acoustics to protect. The last humidifier I bought was thrown out after a week though, as got water all over the floor, although it did only cost £40....
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    What's a nifty gel pack?
    planet waves do this  

CloudNine said:
    My house in Scotland is regularly hovering around 30% in winter, sometimes quite a bit below that on cold clear days with the heating on.

@ToneControl. Would you mind sharing your setup re humidifying the room? I currently keep in cases and humidify there, but would love to have a proper setup to keep the room stable. Don't mind spending a bit as have some decent acoustics to protect. The last humidifier I bought was thrown out after a week though, as got water all over the floor, although it did only cost £40....
    I did use Turmix AX200 humdifiers, which were silent, but they were recalled for a safety reason

I now use Boneco S150 humidifiers, which basically are heat-steam based, and have no active electronics, so if they are switched on and the mains power resumes, they heat up

to control these I use a plug-socket based hygrostat TH-8010H, which can be set to power up as a room gets too dry (or too damp - for tropical climates and dehumidifiers)
    this one here: 
    I think this firm only sells through amazon now
    I have a spare one of these

you can buy a humidifier with a hygrostat / humidistat built in

I advise not to buy ultrasonic ones, they are bad for growing bacteria 

To clean old-school heat humidifiers:
    firstly - if possible use a water filter on the water you fill them with. This almost eliminates scale build up
    or: buy 500g or 1kg of citric acid from ebay or amazon, and use a teaspoon each time you need to descale (use on your kettle too)

I've always found the opposite - my acoustics absorb moisture and the top swells, raising the action. A lot of what you hear is from the US, where they have dry summers and cold dry winters when they have the heating on full blast. My hygrometer doesn't often read below 60%. There's been constant rain for weeks and not really that cold so the heating isn't on that much.

It's good to be aware of it though, whether it's too damp or too dry. Get a hygrometer and learn to recognise the signs of both on your guitar. Taylor have some youtube videos on the subject.
    you must have a damp house, when it's below 5C outside, any dry house would get down below 40%, and even below 30%.
    27% is possible even

if it's raining, it's not as bad, but any cold dry or snowy days should see your house drop to 30% RH
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My house is not the driest, no. I need to move.

However, it's only been below 6 degrees outside on a couple of days this winter, and seems like it's been raining every day since the beginning of November. So for now at least, my Taylor lives in its case with only a silica gel pack for company.

• In my humble, the first thing to buy is a hygrometer. You can buy an "Oasis" brand guitar hygrometer for £20-£30, or look on Ebay/Amazon for something identical (usually for vivariums or cigar humidors for about £7. (Buy two).

Put them in your room and/or in your guitar case for a while to see if you have a problem.

This time of year is the most worrying in the UK as we have all our double glazed windows closed and the central heating on which can reduce humidititty to 20-25% and this can cause cracks etc.

Best to keep guitars somewhere between 40-60% with 50% being ideal.

If you need to humidify your guitar - ther are lots of cheap, options - keep them in their cases with a perforated soapdish with damp sponge, or even just half an apple. (changed regularly).

I use small plastic perforated tubes with high density foam inside. Don't see much point in buying the commercial stuff for a bit of damp in the UK.
    However, don't let anything get so wet that drips might fall on/in the guitar itself.

Frankly, I've never found summer to give me a problem humidity wise. 

We have nothing like the problems the Yanks have with their high plains areas (Montana etc) rarely getting more than 20% or Texas /Louisiana etc., averaging at 90% for much of the year.

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    edited February 2016
    Most houses in the winter are damp / moist / wet even with central heating. 

We use a dehumidifier to reduce condensation on the windows. I have it set at 50% humidity and it removes about a litre of water every 3 days. 

Cooking, washing and drying clothes, showers and baths boiling a kettle all generate moisture in the air.
    Condensation and damp is a thing of the past http://www.johnlewis.com/meaco-20l-platinum-dehumidifier/p1107148?sku=232830521&kpid=232830521&s_kenid=752cab14-77ba-4275-bb8a-5e3185b7dc24&s_kwcid=402x355695&tmad=c&tmcampid=73
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    edited February 2016
    I have a dehumidifier and a humidifier in the workshop.
    They are run as and when- I am aiming for 50-60% RH.
    When the central heating is on I usually have the humidifier on as well to counteract the radiator- but not always, today it hasn't been on.
    A hygrometer is the most useful thing to buy- if you can't measure it then you can't fix it.

I don't bother with finished guitars- I've not had any issues.
    Our climate is predominantly wet it is not a UK problem in my opinion.
  • nick_snick_s Frets: 138
    I had to have one with my old Taylor.  I had a Planet Waves thing that was filled with what looked like florists foam, that you lightly soaked with water (about a teaspoon at most) and it sat in the sound hole, clipped onto the strings. 

When I got the guitar home from the shop, it dried out pretty quick and fret ends poked out, bridge sunk.  A few days with the humidifier and all was well with the world.
    - Shine On You Crazy Diamond -
    edited February 2016
    capo4th said:

capo4th said:
    That is just plain wrong. I check humidity levels daily on several different devices for good measure, and I know plenty of people who do the same. It's definitely a UK problem in winter.

Low humidity can be horrendous for acoustic guitars, a centrally heated house on a cold day in winter can get well below 30% as mentioned in this thread. I would not leave my guitars sitting out for extended periods in those conditions.

It's nothing to do with the 'UK Climate' really, unless you leave your guitars in the garden. It's the climate where you guitars are being kept. Radiators cranked all day are not the 'UK climate'.

@ToneControl, thanks for the info!

Agreed radiators cranked all day would represent a problem. 

Also consider that everyone's house is different in insulation, ventilation, windows, heating systems and humidity that is generated in the home showers washing cooking etc. Everyone's environment is different.
    capo4th said:
    Agreed radiators cranked all day would represent a problem. 

Also consider that everyone's house is different in insulation, ventilation, windows, heating systems and humidity that is generated in the home showers washing cooking etc. Everyone's environment is different.

Erm, but you said this.

capo4th said:

capo4th said:

Which is all completely wrong.

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but if your guitar lives in its case all the time other than when being played, is action still required to check/control humidity?

Or is it only a real concern if the guitar is constantly out?