Question on Taylor Acoustics and the option for a 1 & 11/16" nut width

Hey all,

I wish to buy a talyor 614 (the newer version), however it has a 1 3/4" nut width. Taylor of course offers a 1 11/16" nut width as an option of 200$ extra.

Does anybody know if they actually change the neck (wood) width, or is it just a change around the nut itself, thereby changing the string spacing?

I like to wrap the thumb around the neck to use it to fret the low e string, but find this hard on a wide neck. So, what I am really asking is if the change of nut width makes the neck slimmer?

Hope I make sense, and thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• They went to the wider width (and yes - the neck and fingerboard are actually wider) across all US models recently.

The original narrower spec is now standard only on Mexican built guitars.
  • buckfast said:
    Does anybody know if they actually change the neck (wood) width, or is it just a change around the nut itself, thereby changing the string spacing?

I like to wrap the thumb around the neck to use it to fret the low e string, but find this hard on a wide neck. So, what I am really asking is if the change of nut width makes the neck slimmer?
    If you go for a Taylor with a 1 11/16" wide nut, it will have a slimmer neck profile than one with a 1 3/4" nut.  If you change the nut width, how wide the guitar's neck as it meets the headstock it will make the neck slimmer.  String spacing is a second thing, which is dependent on the slots made in the nut itself.  It is possible to have the same string spacing at the nut for the different widths but it's unlikely. 

FWIW, try to play a 100/200 series Taylor as they have 1 11/16" wide nut and that should give you an idea to the neck shape. 
  • thanks guys, just wanted to confirm that when Taylor offer the 1 & 11/16" nut option, that this also means a slimmer neck profile. Cheers.By the way, these new 600 series Taylors are amazing.