Some Ebay honesty to cheer up a gloomy afternoon.....

What's Hot
WolftoneWolftone Frets: 85
edited December 2013 in Guitar
I choked when I read this;

It could easily have read something like;

"Here we have a rare classic from the seventies......in almost perfect condition........many famous guitarists had something like this as their first guitar....etc etc"

It was refreshing to have an honest appraisal for once. I know he speaks the truth because I had one and it was truly a piece of grade A++ firewood.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    Occasionally you find one that isn't too bad actually. They usually work quite well for bluesy stuff, especially slide.

I would never say it's a *good* guitar, but they're not total firewood.

Good listing though :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Occasionally you find one that isn't too bad actually. They usually work quite well for bluesy stuff, especially slide.

No mate, whilst I agree wholeheartedly with your oft written wisdom, I have to disagree on this occasion....this is absolute total and utter firewood, and not even good firewood. It would probably even burn out of tune.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Wolftone said:
    No mate, whilst I agree wholeheartedly with your oft written wisdom, I have to disagree on this occasion....this is absolute total and utter firewood, and not even good firewood. It would probably even burn out of tune.
    Sorry, you're wrong! A friend of mine who is a rather good blues player has one - not this shape, but same basic guitar - and he would back me up :).

They're not all good, no - but if you think they're all firewood you've just never played a good one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    ICBM said:

"Good for slide" is usually not a great recommendation for a guitar......
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martinw said:
    Quite. It would be good not to have two threads about exactly the same eBay listing! 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    True. However...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Wolftone said:
    It would probably even burn out of tune.
    This might be the funniest line I've read here.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• martinw said:
    Quite. It would be good not to have two threads about exactly the same eBay listing! 
    Yeah sorry, I was on Ebay and just rushed to post the advert.
  • ICBM said:

Whilst I admire your loyalty and support and admiration for early seventies Zenta plywood guitars, I have honestly seen ironing boards that, with a decent set of strings and a pickup, would make a better slide guitar.   ;;)

I accept wholeheartedly that there may be one or two that, when plugged into a Dumble amp may remotely make a sound as if it were some sort of a guitar but how much work would you need to do to get one playing in a very average way?

All my comments of course are slightly tongue in cheek and not in any way wishing to offend you ICBM. 
    :>
    Don't plug it into a Dumble, that will kill the tone :).

The one my friend has didn't need much work. One replacement machinehead, a new set of strings, and a set-up... it actually plays perfectly well even for fingerstyle, although I admit the tone is more suited to slide.

One thing that's important is to block off or remove the trem - it *cannot* work properly, it's just made wrong. And use heavy-ish strings, that will make them more stable and sound better.

Is it ever going to play or sound like a Tele or a Les Paul? No, of course not. And I do find some of the prices being asked because they're "vintage" (AKA just plain old) silly. But I can think of worse guitars.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31503
    I was given one of these once, and turned it into a passable novelty gigging machine with a TOM bridge and a DiMarzio Super Distortion.
    The frets were incredibly skinny though, and there was almost no clean sustain.

I always had a soft spot for this type of thing though, almost as if the designers were held captive in a room, shown a picture of a real Fender for ten seconds, then told to draw it from memory.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10254
    tFB Trader
    I had a plywood Maya 'Strat' that was similar in it's horribleness. Interestingly it had the sort of Hershey Bar pickups that people widdle their kecks over these days. To be honest I couldn't wait to get to something with a proper humbucker on it.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message