Frank Gambale's Chop Builder challenge

What's Hot
MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
Certainly it's a challenge for me anyhow - anyone else worked on this before? Did you get to the point where you can play along with FG for the full hour? Any tips if so?

...yes, the mullet, the leather trousers - I know, I know, what can you say? :D
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    edited December 2013
    Oh dear, this is everything I dislike about the electric guitar in one fell swoop, if practicing was this dull I would never have advanced, I feel I now have to post the antidote.......

Edit: don't mean to derail to much btw, only pulling your plonker
    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Nothing wrong with Neil Young, but I happen to like FG's stuff myself - each to his own I guess! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

dindude said:
    Edit: don't mean to derail to much btw, only pulling your plonker
    ;)
    No worries! I will consider my plonker well pulled...  :\">  I just see that FG video, and despite the lack of fashion sense/taste, there is a challenge there that I find hard to ignore somehow. :D
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    edited December 2013

Great video, thanks for the link.

I will have to have a go at these exercises. Can''t help but laugh at the look on Frank's face though, to say he looks wizened would be an understatement 

:D
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    that's a polyester mullet, right?

Fazer said:
    that's a polyester mullet, right?

Or some other synthetic fibre... not a good look... :D
  • colskicolski Frets: 20
    Methodical, clinical, but effective as hell, if you are serious about playing well then practising solidly like this for an hour really shouldn't be a big deal. Guaranteed to get results if you stick to it. Wish all my pupils practised like this.
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    Love it!!
    I'll be doing 1 hr of superchops for jazz and 2 hrs (half tempo) of this starting 1st of Jan!!

Thanks
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    I can more or less hang in most parts except for the sweeps which is an area that Gambale pioneered and in which I've never developed fluency.
    I agree with colski, it might be methodical clinical and what not, but most of the stuff here is pretty "basic", like doing the fundamentals to a good level. Nothing wrong in practicing all the fundamentals in such a methodical metronome'd way.
  • Just ordered the DVD :D
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    I'm in! Been looking for consistent day to day technique routine! Can't be bothered to make clips of my progress tho but I might consider it when I work it out
    I guess as the OP I'll have to count myself in too! I did have a bit of a go with this stuff a while ago (lasted a couple of months lol) and got to the point where I could almost (but crucially not quite  :D ) get to the point where I could play along cleanly with the second semiquaver section, and could do the first triplet bit. Kudos to those who can keep up with the lot! Anyway, I guess it could only do me good to have another crack, and a good time for such resolutions of course... :)
  • TunezTunez Frets: 15
    edited March 2014
    IMHO, this is THE best technical manual Vid ever made. I'm not a massive fan of franks music, but as an educator and technician he's awesome. This vid is so well planned and practical. I don't play like Frank (or try to) but the technique work is so strong that, if you can stick with it you'll reap huge benefits! 

The only downside to the vid from my pov is the repeated close-up shots of Franks leather clad balls... Not cricket.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    Ha ha, read this today on the forum and decided to have a look once home. I am ok with the triplets, but put that with note changed at pace, hmm. I am still new to guitar, and certainly made me appreciate how much time I still need to put in. Looks like a very good hour of exercises.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Great! I'm all over it. Imagine if Neil Young had had this video in his youth though...
    As the thread starter, I'm feeling guilty now, as I have yet to tackle the Gambale challenge.  :D
  • TunezTunez Frets: 15
    edited March 2014
    Megii said:
    As the thread starter, I'm feeling guilty now, as I have yet to tackle the Gambale challenge.  :D
    I wouldn't worry, I've never met anyone who just 'did it overnight', I'd wager it'll take a while!
  • ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    I've just started this. I can get through round one ok, and about half of 2 but I'm far from a fast shreddy player so definitely struggle with a lot! Something good to work up to.
    Tunez said:
    Megii said:
    I wouldn't worry, I've never met anyone who just 'did it overnight', I'd wager it'll take a while!
    Cheers! I'll have to get going on it though. I think to really be able to play through the whole lot cleanly would indeed take a while to get to, and represent quite a considerable achievement in terms of technique.
    ash96 said:
    I've just started this. I can get through round one ok, and about half of 2 but I'm far from a fast shreddy player so definitely struggle with a lot! Something good to work up to.
    FWIW, when I last spent a bit of time on the video, that was about where I was at too. I could almost get round 2, but was just having to work with a metronome, and speed up from a bit slower tempo. One or two of the little repeated phrases are just a bit tricky to play really cleanly, without fluffing the odd note.