Good Vibrations: The Science of Sound

What's Hot
ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
edited March 2016 in Theory
"We look around us—constantly. But how often do we listen around us? Sound is critically important to our bodies and brains, and to the wider natural world. In the womb, we hear before we see. Join John Schaefer, Jamshed Bharucha, Christopher Shera, the Danish sound artist Jacob Kirkegaard and multi-instrumentalists Polygraph Lounge for a fascinating journey through the nature of sound. How we perceive it, how it acts upon us and how it profoundly affects our well-being—including a demonstration of sounds produced by sources as varied as the human inner ear and the creation of the universe itself." ~ World Science Festival 2014

Duration 1 hour 45 mins

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited February 2016

Whilst women prefer deep male voices in general , if a blokes voice is too deep they don't prefer them anymore.  In fact women prefer men with voices over 96Hz.  98Hz is a G2, that isn't very low, it's the G above a low E on the guitar.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3293852/

My pet theory is it is because they can't hear the intonation as clearly with a deeper voice, because the human hearing range drops off in volume towards it's extents.  So essentially it sounds like mumbling.

It's the same with sung voices, they are all in the tenor baritone range, because the intonation on the tones is clear and translates very well to the human ear at these optimum frequencies.  Intonation basically equates to emotion.

People often say singers with deep voices, deeper than baritone (Extremely rare in popular music) mumble or are monotonal.

They don't and they are not, it's just because your ear are shits, to prove this, just speed their voices up to a higher frequency and all the notes are there.

Women don't like very deep voices because they can't hear what's going on, therefore don't feel in control.

It also works vice versa, I mean who wants a bat for a girlfriend.  Jeez.

Where do the voices in your head come from?

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A little scientific perspective for some Sunday afternoon relaxation anyone ?

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited March 2016
    Moved this across from "off topic" to "theory", which I think is more appropriate for the subject matter.

As to where the voices in @Sambostar's head come from, well that's anyones guess, I guess   >-)

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Another interesting presentation and perspective to get the little grey cells working.

What is up with Noises? (The Science and Mathematics of Sound, Frequency, and Pitch)
    by Vi Hart

Duration 12:48