H&K Trilogy - opinions?

John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
Hi,
In my search for an EVH iii  I've been offered a H&K trilogy.     In the past I've had a switchblade that was nice but didn't blow me away - high gain a little fizzy and mine was a touch noisy...  I also had a triamp that I loved but it was heavy!

How does the trilogy compare?   I suspect it's closer to the switchblade with triamp stylings?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited August 2013
    I owned one and gigged it for over a year and regret selling it. 

The clean tones were pristine and add some chorus and other FX it was a great place to start and build decent tones. The dirty channels are more classic rock and you need to add a boost or OD/DS for higher gain tones.

This amp flattered every guitar I owned and my LP and SG sounded particularly good, having said that Strats and Teles sounded pretty damned good too. 

You can use it as a multi channel amp with the included foot switch or use MIDI to control it, both are fine and MIDI is more flexible if you can be arsed. 

In the time I had it I used stomps in front of it and in the FX loop as well as a multi FX in he loop. 

Also I used the FX loop return to plug in and warm up a VG-99 which was great and as long as I sent the acoustic tones to a FRFR SS amp it was a great option to have. 

At a pinch you could use this amp with the acoustics, but it is a compromise. To its credit it handled all that in its stride and it was easy to dial in tones in any configuration. 

I would definitely have one when gigging again although I have a Triamp MkII itch I need to scratch one day first. 

Hope this helps. 

I cannot get this to format correctly space wise no matter what.

Edit 

Sorted now, flaming iPad.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    There was a Triamp in London for £450 odd on Gumtree recently, might still be there.
    Thanks for the heads up Lew but I am holding out (read saving up) for the MkII or maybe even an Alex Lifeson sig Triamp MkII.
    I'm not familiar with the differences. I did own a Triamp for a few months.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Thanks chaps -  Although the trilogy looks a very nice amp, I'm not sure I'll get past the feeling that it's a cut down triamp and a step backwards - reminding me of my old one and wishing I'd just got another so I'll probably pass and get something that I haven't tried before...
    @Lew

It is more evolution than revolution but the Triamp MkII has had a bit of a revoicing and it has the MIDI module as standard.

The Alex Lifeson one is in the vain hope that some mojo rubs off. 
    :D

That is a fair assessment it is kind of a cut down Trilogy but has a character/tone all of its own, but the Triamp does sound better to my ears.
    The Thomas Blug demos of it sound great.
  • keithfkeithf Frets: 371

i found it to be a very strange amp,one night it was the best amp ever,

the next it sounded like a totally different amp,i've talked to other owners and they conveyed the same opinion,quite odd.