Moog Minifooger Analog Delay Pedal

EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
edited March 2016 in FX Reviews
When I saw the Reviews section I thought what have I got that I've had a bit and you see around and I might have something to say about it? It's come down to this. Here is mine in situ http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y513/phlplls/Mobile Uploads/2016-02/9527D085-159D-458F-8024-39BC880A51A1_zpsxxm8r4sf.jpg As you can see it is old enough to be all black, more recent ones are black and silver. Nice substantial feel to it but that shiny paint job by the knobs scratches easily ( if not apparent in the pictures). Not everyone seems to have this issue but attaching it to a board is a PIA as it has sticky out feet. Take the feet off and you have sticky out screws. Take the screws out and the bottom of the pedal falls off. I've fixed it a couple of different ways. At the moment the bottom feet rest below the bar on the pedaltrain with Velcro above that. The top feet rest on the next bar. This isn't 100% secure so the various things plugged into it help keep it in place which isn't ideal. This was a common ( well, several people moaning on the internet) complaint about these early ones so I get the impression this has been fixed on the black and silver models. I guess I could find some extra, extra lush Velcro and avoid the issue http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y513/phlplls/Mobile Uploads/2016-02/B150351A-10C5-4F82-AD79-F392657D67CB_zpsssxrotf7.jpg The sockets are all at the top - big thing for some people but in my multi make higgle piggle of a board bit neither here nor there. No stereo or dry out - not an issue for me. Moog say you can make it 100% wet signal, and reviews say otherwise. Err, I've never tried, must give it a go  EDIT: had a quick go, sounds like you can take all the original signal out should you want.

It has an expression pedal input and next to it I have a Moog one. There is an internal switch for the expression to control delay time or feedback. Annoying that this isn't external as if you use the pedal on a board ( well, if you can get it to stay on) then you have to make a choice and stick with it. On the pro demoes you do see some nice effects done with this but you need quite a bit of patience to get to these and knob twiddling inbetween so live probably only expect to do one thing with it. Basically I use it to push the delay into self oscillation or as a sort of delay wah ( if that's a thing!) but that needs a bit of focus - and focus not always available on a gig! Max delay time is 700ms. The Stutterfly next to it on that board has 1000ms as does my other digital delay but I've never found anything I wanted that long a delay for so 700ms seems more than adequate to me. Fairly standard Mix, Feedback and Time knobs. It's the fourth knob Drive that probably makes this a bit Marmite. I've read that this will go into distortion if you crank it up far enough but I never have! However, I have it on enough to boost the signal a bit and there is supposed to be 22db there. I think that once you have the pedal on with the boost on you are colouring the signal. How much of that is the pedal and how much just pushing the amp may be hard to say and with the reasonably dark delay sound this is a slightly mushy, quite fat tone. If you use it for slapback it isn't as dark on the initial delay, it just grits up as you use more delays. Sorry no video, if I can get my iPad to stop chopping video after ten seconds I'll give it a go at some point but quite a few well made ones on YouTube.
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• This is about as clear a demo as any. How he uses the expression pedal from around 5:50 is roughly how I use it.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    edited February 2016
    Doing this on iPad so formatting shot to shit. I had a couple more photos but they won't upload. Doing the write up has made me think about a couple of things to so hopefully I can add some more comments here at a later point.
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    I was keen on one of these as the basic tone is absolutely stellar (as long as you don't mind dark and fat) and the feedback expression means you can use it as a more musical freeze effect for playing over.  The grit is so nice that - combined the with the OD - the pedal doesn't seem to need modulation.

Then I saw the Amazon reviews: positive on the pedal, negative on reliability. Looked further into this and sure enough, it seems like not only are these prone to breaking down, but getting moog to fix them is also a major headache. Abandoned the idea: shame is it sounds absolutely gorgeous in its one-trick-pony fashion.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    edited March 2016
    Not had a reliability problem. However, it isn't an always on delay for me - I use it as an effect,by which I mean when it's on you know it's on! There's always been another pedal to do something more subtle on other songs. So that's two or three songs on a gig or rehearsal and I rarely use my pedal board at home. So total playing time with it on in the 16 months of ownership is fairly modest.