Radio mic systems

trolleytrolley Frets: 88
A friend has asked me help improve his son's radio mic (has a cheap one,can't remember the brand)
He sings to backing tracks of S'notra, Bubble, etc. And their budget is £150 max. Aaand it's a Xmas present, so it should be new.
I see there's a Samson C88HCL6 near me for £130> Anyone any idea what they're like?
Or anything else? AKG do a mini set for about £90 - but again I've no idea what they're like
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405

You need to spend more than that, otherwise stick to a wired mic. A decent wireless mic like Sen EW series or Shure wireless SM is £300 odd upwards. The cheap ones are endless grief and only really suited to after dinner speech's or fun Karaoke.  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Fun karaoke is close tbh.

He's just starting out & his dad's worried about him tripping over a lead (he has a slight disability).

But their budget is what it is.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    edited December 2013
    I just got a pretty decent Shure (PG58) for £165 for my kids' school. Very slightly over your budget, although if you shop around you might get closer.

There were several others around that price or a bit more but I went for Shure for reliability and ruggedness, if nothing else.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• +1 for the studiospares deal or do a search for ex hire radio mics companies such as AC entertainments Crystal pro SSE all have x hire stuff the out from time to time  
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    trolley said:
    A friend has asked me help improve his son's radio mic (has a cheap one,can't remember the brand)
    He sings to backing tracks of S'notra, Bubble, etc. And their budget is £150 max. Aaand it's a Xmas present, so it should be new.
    I see there's a Samson C88HCL6 near me for £130> Anyone any idea what they're like?
    Or anything else? AKG do a mini set for about £90 - but again I've no idea what they're like
    I've got the guitar version of the AKG WMS40 Mini and so far at least it's proved to be ridiculously good. Enough range to make a complete fool of myself in pubs, no interference issues so far, good clean dynamic sound, and the single AAA which powers the Tx lasts for absolutely ages...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...