Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Man vs Food

What's Hot

Comments

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    mike_l said:
    VimFuego said:
    What you learn about americans is disturbing.

Reduced for accuracy.

MvF is both shite and genius.

Shite - it encourages simpletons to eat massive amounts of food.

Genius - it's cheap to make, and is a regular programme across the world.

Agree with you there, Mike.

However, some of the dishes that are featured in MvF make my mouth water,   Although the portion sizes are ridiculous (the clue is in the title of the programme), I'd much rather have a REALLY good burger and fries or some soul food than anything poncey in one of Micheal Roux Jnr's pretentious restaurants.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I am planning a 'blues trip' for Spring 2015 and part of it will be eating a lot of soul food...mmmmm

Whatever, the way that guy eats is impressive. 
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    There's a great YouTube channel I'm subscribed to where he does eating challenges.

This is his latest...

My V key is broken
  • RobDavies said:
    mike_l said:
    VimFuego said:
    What you learn about americans is disturbing.

Reduced for accuracy.

MvF is both shite and genius.

Shite - it encourages simpletons to eat massive amounts of food.

Genius - it's cheap to make, and is a regular programme across the world.

Agree with you there, Mike.

However, some of the dishes that are featured in MvF make my mouth water,   Although the portion sizes are ridiculous (the clue is in the title of the programme), I'd much rather have a REALLY good burger and fries or some soul food than anything poncey in one of Micheal Roux Jnr's pretentious restaurants.
    How come you think they're pretentious?
    Use Your Brian
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    • Filet de Maigre Parfumé au Ras-el-Hanout Fenouil et Riz Rouge de Camargue  =  Spicy Fish in gravy.
    • Filet de Boeuf Grillé et Purée d'Epinards Poêlée de Champignons = Steak and mushrooms.

Oh, and I really don't like Micheal Roux Jnr on the tele, either - which, in fairness probably taints my views on his restaurants.

:)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581

Surely having the names of the foods in a French restaurant in French is more ... correct than pretentious.

And over simplifying to force a point is probably worse, for example your first is "with scented fennal and red rice" ... not a word about gravy or "jus" to be pretentious ... if it said "Fish with scented fennal and red rice" would that be pretentious?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Bezzer said:

Surely having the names of the foods in a French restaurant in French is more ... correct than pretentious.

And over simplifying to force a point is probably worse, for example your first is "with scented fennal and red rice" ... not a word about gravy or "jus" to be pretentious ... if it said "Fish with scented fennal and red rice" would that be pretentious?

Quite. Pretentious is when you pretend to be something you're not. Roux Jr is a French chef cooking French food to double Michelin star level, so it seems appropriate for his food to be described in French as something more than 'steak and mushrooms'. I mean, burgers have their place - I think I've heard Roux Jr say that as well, come to think of it - but there's also a place for a bit of haute-cuisine.
    Use Your Brian
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    Quite. Pretentious is when you pretend to be something you're not. Roux Jr is a French chef cooking French food to double Michelin star level, so it seems appropriate for his food to be described in French as something more than 'steak and mushrooms'. I mean, burgers have their place - I think I've heard Roux Jr say that as well, come to think of it - but there's also a place for a bit of haute-cuisine.
    indeed,   only thing worse than snobbery,   inverse-snobbery
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Is jus the chav spelling of juice?

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    If you go to Arby's, in the former colonies, they give you a pot of jus to dip your beef sarnie in, class!

No sniggering at the back!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    holnrew said:
    There's a great YouTube channel I'm subscribed to where he does eating challenges.

This is his latest...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJDHHELBAm4

I couldn't watch more than a couple of minutes of that. Cool Hand Luke was bad enough, raw eggs though? :-S
  • I like Adam Richman a lot. He quit the show because it was getting quite depressing eating all that shit day in, day out, and he was in the gym all the time he wasn't filming and STILL got fatter. A lot of the non-crazy-chilli food on the show looks really tasty too.

As for Michelin food description, most of it isn't pretentious, it's just described in more detail, because when you're paying that much for food you want to know exactly what you're getting. When it says "Filet de Maigre Parfumé au Ras-el-Hanout Fenouil et Riz Rouge de Camargue" you know what fish, what cut from the fish, what spicing the fennel has and exactly how the rice is done. Hardly just "Spicy fish and rice". 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires

As for Michelin food description, most of it isn't pretentious, it's just described in more detail, because when you're paying that much for food you want to know exactly what you're getting. When it says "Filet de Maigre Parfumé au Ras-el-Hanout Fenouil et Riz Rouge de Camargue" you know what fish, what cut from the fish, what spicing the fennel has and exactly how the rice is done. Hardly just "Spicy fish and rice". 

I'm sorry, but that sounds incredibly pretentious.
    My V key is broken
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrew said:

I'm sorry, but that sounds incredibly pretentious.
    Lol. I guess you have to accept that really mega-posh food is pretentious by design, but once you do that, you stop worrying about the menu! :p
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Using the word pretentious when you know full well it isn't the appropriate word to use, *is* itself pretentious.

;)

Drew_fx said:
    Using the word pretentious when you know full well it isn't the appropriate word to use, *is* itself pretentious.

;)
    I'm confused. If this is aimed a me then I don't know what the appropriate word is. Is it "dilhole"?
    My V key is broken
    Broseph!! Someone explained it to you on page 1!!

Dilhole is not the appropriate word, no.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I thought 'pretentious' was a label that the lower middle-class people used to describe upper middle-class people.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nah, it's the only long word that the working class know.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Drew_fx said:
    Nah, it's the only long word that the working class know.
    init bruv.