Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited February 2016
    http://i65.tinypic.com/6zlw8j.jpg

OK - I was 7 when I got this... Triang Mini Mouton circa 1967
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

They, and the Raleigh, are the only ones that look like the bikes I remember from my youth, although it is at least 40 years since I last rode one!

(Also, glad you're feeling better, and good luck to your good lady with sprog 2).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    @nitefly The Grand Prix will be single speed. the Corsa was bought fixed but swapped the wheels out for 6 speed.
  • Giant Defy Whatnot just after its annual bath.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    @JohnnyPlectrum at first glance at that photo I thought you'd put BMX stunt pegs on it!  =))
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    Mine before I'd set it up properly (hence low seat that points upwards!). It's a Planet X London Road - used for commuting ~85miles/week.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Mrs Rocker and myself went to the recycling centre the day before yesterday. There were four bicycles thrown into the metal recycling skip. All of them appeared to be intact. All of them looked better than what I had when I learned how to ride a bike. Probably could have made a few quid selling them on adverts.ie or eBay. We left them as we are trying to declutter the house and garage....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    http://i.imgur.com/FvC3BZF.jpg

It's 1981, and this summer I will be 14.

OK, it's actually a modern reissue that I got for my daughter... but I did have great fun riding it up and down the street when I was "making sure it was adjusted correctly" :D.

Rocker said:
    Mrs Rocker and myself went to the recycling centre the day before yesterday. There were four bicycles thrown into the metal recycling skip. All of them appeared to be intact. All of them looked better than what I had when I learned how to ride a bike. Probably could have made a few quid selling them on adverts.ie or eBay. We left them as we are trying to declutter the house and garage....
    This is something that really pisses me off. Most of the bikes I see in the scrap metal skip at the local recycling place (and there's always at least one) look as if they could easily be made good again with an hour or two's work and a handful of parts.

My actual bike is a Universal Rapid Reactor 10-speed mountain bike that I found under the railway bridge at the end of my village with a note on it that said "free bike, please take". All that was really wrong with it was that the gears weren't adjusted properly so they were jamming, and one tyre was flat. Obviously a mere 10-speed is too unfashionable to be worth fixing now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    edited February 2016

When I lived in Edinburgh some student friends asked me if I knew where they could dispose of a bike some previous occupant had left in their flat. I told them to just leave it outside, somebody will find a use for it. Within half an hour somebody picked it up and rode off on it. I like to think it was recycling rather than theft!

There are places now that rescue discarded bikes, do them up and sell them for low prices. There was a lovely mid-range Marin with suspension forks at Cardiff Cycle Workshop last week for something ridiculous like £140. Most of the stuff they sell is under £50 though - perfectly servicable bikes for getting round the city that are unlikely to get stolen. You can pop into their workshop to use their tools and they run maintenance courses. Any spare parts I have from now on will be donated to them.

Pics of my Italian beauties will follow after I get home...

• BudgieBudgie Frets: 2099
    I've not used this for a year, definitely going to get back into it this year.

Cube Reaction something-or-other with carbon frame.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MtBMtB Frets: 921
    Many of the Councils are now requesting the inclusion of a Re-Use centre when they have their household waste recycling facility rebuilt. They've suddenly realised that where there's muck there's brass! 
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I've got a Cotic BFe that I'm building. Currently waiting on having the funds to afford the parts I still need.

New Maxxis minion rear tyre
    Shimano M8000 cassette, chain, shifter and derailleur
    Superstar N/W 32t cog
    Cheapie Telescopic post

Other than that, it's good to go.
    Black frame, with SR Suntour Durolux RC2 forks, XT wheelset, SLX cranks and Nukeproof pedals.

It'll be a 160mm steel framed AM hard tail monster when done.
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    edited February 2016
    My best bike - Colnago C50 with Campagnolo Chorus 11sp groupset:

My winter bike (aluminium frame, full mudguards and cheaper Campagnolo Veloce components), De Rosa Milanino:

My previous best bike, I've looked after it (bought in 1999) and it's a classic, the Art Decor paintjob is nothing short of art. Skinny steel Columbus tubes, lots of chrome and polished alloy - Colnago Master Extralight:

1994 Graham Weigh (Deeside Cycles own brand, built for them by various framebuilders), Reynolds 653 tubing and now converted to singlespeed for riding around the city, occasional rides to work (if I go the flat way!):

In action riding a time trial on a Paul Donohue 853 frame custom built for me. First ride on it I did 23:47 minutes for a 10-mile time trial and I've never gone so fast since!

Sadly no longer around, a lovely Pinarello Sestriere winter training frame (has clearance and fittings for full mudguards, which you need if you ride through winter). It was only six months old when I hit a submerged pothole, the bike stopped dead and I carried on over the bars. Frame was wrecked and I landed on my face, requiring 20 stitches. I bought a replacement frame but water got into the tubing and it rusted through a couple of years ago. Lovely bike to ride, and a great deep blue colour that people loved:

I have a Marin mountain bike somewhere... quite old, steel hardtail.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27586
    I have a 1993 Orange Clockwork which could do with going to a loving home, and a Norco Cityglide which looks like this:

https://static.evanscycles.com/production/bikes/hybrid-bikes/product-image/Original/norco-city-glide-8-2015-hybrid-bike-dark-silver-EV211731-7500-1.jpg
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7671

had it for years but rarely ridden - something to put on Gumtree when I get the time

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4959
    edited July 2017
    Bit of an antique, but it still does the biz

Image may contain bicycle tree and outdoor
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 992
    edited February 2016
    this is my only bike at present 2011 charge duster mid. i don't ride anymore unfortunately due to a certain problem (fucking piles :-(  i used to ride all the time.  i would like to get another road bike one day (had a 2012 specialized tarmac sport bike that i loved). over the years i've owned  a few bikes though :-)  glad you're back niallmo :-)  
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    edited February 2016
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited February 2016
    ICBM;984561" said:
    http://i.imgur.com/FvC3BZF.jpg

It's 1981, and this summer I will be 14.

OK, it's actually a modern reissue that I got for my daughter... but I did have great fun riding it up and down the street when I was "making sure it was adjusted correctly" :D
    I prefer the 65 blackface reissues myself, but YMMV

They are awesome bikes though aren't they
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic