Billy Duffy

What's Hot
kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
edited February 2016 in Guitar
Just got back from seeing the Cult at Brixton. Ian Astbury has still got it as a front man - even if the singing has gone a little pub style these days  - but it really is all about Billy Duffy. Great tone, fantastic playing and  - most important - bloody loud. If there is a better rock guitarist playing live at the moment I'd be very surprised. Absolutely amazing. 
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I saw him a few ears ago, great player. Always has a great tone & note choice. Always locks in with the drummer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Watched his rig rundown and an interview ( from about a year ago IIRC) on YouTube recently. Searches... ... ...some nice stories. I have fond memories of seeing The Cult live a couple of times a million years ago and Electric was one my favourite albums for years.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I always found them to be a "greater than the sum of their parts" band, in that none of them were outstanding in themselves. Duffy is far from the greatest rock guitarist around, IMO. Of course, music isn't a competition, so it doesn't matter ...but just my two cents.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7137
    Good duo.

Written some great riffs, solos and lyrics.

Never too  much widdle and lots of atmosphere.

I grew up on Southern Death Cult and The Cult. My missus is their biggest fan and loves them too.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
    edited February 2016
    I've been a massive cult fan since about 1986 and this last tour is the first time I've not seen them since 1991. Gutted

Billy is a hugely underrated guitarist. His playing on the record is very very good. He's got fucking awesome loud live tone and just shows how good you can sound with off the shelf gear. I think the most boutique pedal he owns is a love pedal Kalamazoo the rest of the board is mostly boss stuff iirc
    Plus he's using a pair of Chinese AC30's these days as well
    Can't wait for his signature wah to be released in May!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Saw them live in the 80s, very good. Billy is a superb player, but I didn't care for his style of guitar, some enormous great big white Gretch. I guess he's still playing them?
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    He uses les pauls most of the time now, bringng out a gretsch occasionally. When they started he was a pretty basic player , even on the electric album, its a great rock record but the lead playing is ok... Between that and somic temple and ceremony the leaps and bounds in ablilty and feel is phenomenal really. I reckon he signed a pact with someone :) Loved em from the start and live he is absoluely THE MAN.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    I remember reading some stuff about Rick Rubin making him turn off all his effects for electric and play the lead lines with a very stripped back tone that Billy said took some getting used to. I still think it sounds great, and live the same lines are absolutely amazing.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    Did Billy Duffy have his massive work boots on with his laces undone still?? The man has never learned to tie them apparently...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I remember reading some stuff about Rick Rubin making him turn off all his effects for electric and play the lead lines with a very stripped back tone that Billy said took some getting used to. I still think it sounds great, and live the same lines are absolutely amazing.

I agree , love electric
  • stuagu;986186" said:
    He uses les pauls most of the time now, bringng out a gretsch occasionally. When they started he was a pretty basic player , even on the electric album, its a great rock record but the lead playing is ok... Between that and somic temple and ceremony the leaps and bounds in ablilty and feel is phenomenal really. I reckon he signed a pact with someone :) Loved em from the start and live he is absoluely THE MAN.
    He has two signature gretschs a white and a black falcon

Think most of the new record was done on the falcon
  • kjdowd;986220" said:
    That's true

Because I'm an uber geek cult fan I have some recordings of what were known as the manor session which was what they had recorded with the guy who produced the love album. It's much more swirly and ethereal - much more like love. But they ditched the whole recording and went to the states with Rubin at became absolutely massive over there.

Billy's playing on Ceremony is in a league of its own and easily up there with the likes of Slash
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Secondary name drop here, but a really good friend of mine has told me many amazing stories from parties at his Beverly Hills home

I've never gave their music much time, but from the stories I've heard he sounds like a fecking legend
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7137
    The Manor Sessions are great!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I bought a 7953 white falcons it's because of Duffy
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    He just nails it live. The whole show is absolutely driven by his guitar and at no point is he relaxing and blocking out a few chords. I've seen a lot of great guitarists live but none with quite that impact. It's helped by some classic rock posing of course - guitar near vertical throughout and an appropriate amount of windmilling :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Cabicular said:
    I bought a 7953 white falcons it's because of Duffy
    I bought a fridge thinking it was what Duffy played

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    You just wanted to be cool
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    RocknRollDave;986129" said:
    I always found them to be a "greater than the sum of their parts" band, in that none of them were outstanding in themselves. Duffy is far from the greatest rock guitarist around, IMO. Of course, music isn't a competition, so it doesn't matter ...but just my two cents.
    But he is outstanding, because he's only playing what is necessary..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom