Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson SG Obsession

What's Hot
RoxRox Frets: 2147
edited December 2013 in Guitar
I'm obsessed with the idea of getting a Gibson SG.  I can't bloody shake the hankering for one, and no matter what I tell myself, the feeling won't go away.

Even though the three or four Gibsons I've played have all been really unsuitable to me, and disappointing, I still want to find one that 'works'.  So far, the best SG I've played was a pancake-bodied, set neck, narrow nut, 1970's cheapo knock off that played and sounded superb.  And then I sold it to buy a Gibson and regretted it - never to see another since.

So I desperately want an SG... but are there any cracking non-Gibsons out there?  Or, can I be cured of this nonsense?  :D

Mind you, those new Pelham Blue Epiphone SG's with the Maestro trem look stunning... (apart from the anaemic rosewood fretboard):

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Looks lovely, I just don't like the colour.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 614
    i have a Penco SG copy and its a lovely guitar...its a bolt on neck but the action and neck are beautiful.....probably could do with better pickups in though
  • I had  a SG Classic.The P90's sounded like a Tele on steroids.Cracking guitar . I want another SG too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Can never, ever get on with that fucking shape. It's just too small and out of proportion, the balance is terrible. Shame, because they look and sound great. Luckily though, I have a Flying V - sounds similar but it's more comfortable and easier to play sitting down.

Yes, really.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    You could always try the Haigh SG I have for sale - UK built with through neck. Nudge nudge
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    monofin said:
    You could always try the Haigh SG I have for sale - UK built with through neck. Nudge nudge
    Teasing only works with pictures, monofin... :D
    Bucket said:
    Can never, ever get on with that fucking shape. It's just too small and out of proportion, the balance is terrible. Shame, because they look and sound great. Luckily though, I have a Flying V - sounds similar but it's more comfortable and easier to play sitting down.

Yes, really.
    I never realised HOW unbalanced they were until I tried a Standard today.  The body was razor thin and the neck super thick.  On the MIJ SG I had, it was perfectly balanced; I think the thin neck and slightly thicker body made it brilliantly balanced.  The Maxon pickups were just Sabbath all over.
  • I cut my teeth on Glen Buxton in Alice Copper; that White SG Custom grabbed me by the throat. So my first real guitar was a Columbus SG copy, then in 2005 I bought a faded special. The neck was a tad chunky, but it played really nice.

However, it was not just any old SG I wanted, it was Glen Buxton's

• Rox said:
    I'm obsessed with the idea of getting a Gibson SG.  I can't bloody shake the hankering for one, and no matter what I tell myself, the feeling won't go away.

Even though the three or four Gibsons I've played have all been really unsuitable to me, and disappointing, I still want to find one that 'works'.  So far, the best SG I've played was a pancake-bodied, set neck, narrow nut, 1970's cheapo knock off that played and sounded superb.  And then I sold it to buy a Gibson and regretted it - never to see another since.

So I desperately want an SG... but are there any cracking non-Gibsons out there?  Or, can I be cured of this nonsense?  :D

Mind you, those new Pelham Blue Epiphone SG's with the Maestro trem look stunning... (apart from the anaemic rosewood fretboard):

We're giving a customised one away this month if you're interested in putting your hat in the ring! Its a USA Gibson with Monty's pickups upgrades.

https://www.facebook.com/RelentlessEnergy?ref=hl

Rox;103088" said:
    monofin said:

Have a peak in here: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/6527/big-guitar-clearout/p1
    The only hat I have is a furry one that's keeping my bonce warm - not throwing that anywhere... and I am probably the only person on the planet who doesn't Facetweet.  ;)
    monofin said:
    Rox;103088" said:
    monofin said:

Have a peak in here: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/6527/big-guitar-clearout/p1
    Good lord.  I shouldn't like that... but... what's the neck like, how's it sound, and any more pictures?
  • rprrpr Frets: 308
    Guild have reissued the S100- I had an original 70's one and from memory the neck join was less exaggerated than  a Gibson, balance was OK as well
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Rox said:
    Beaten to it by rpr… you want a Guild S-100.

Flatter neck joint, usually a narrower neck, and generally better-balanced than a Gibson.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

@Rox PM me your email address and I'll send you some pics and details

Jase
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    edited December 2013
    Another vote for the SG Classic here...there's nothing not to like. The balance is fine too,
    And I don't do twitbook either

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2867
    Get a 60s neck with p90s. Game over. ( or the 61 reissue)
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Rox said:
    The only hat I have is a furry one that's keeping my bonce warm - not throwing that anywhere... and I am probably the only person on the planet who doesn't Facetweet.  ;)
    Yer not alone.   ;)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    blueskunk said:
    Get a 60s neck with p90s. Game over. ( or the 61 reissue)

You require an SG Jnr, early '60's, chunky neck single bridge P90. I'm going to bed.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • My SG doesn't neck dive. The best ones don't, and are lightweight to boot, somehow (I guess when they're made with not-very-dense wood in the neck?)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires