Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson SG Obsession

What's Hot

Comments

• I wasn't looking for an SG but one showed up for sale cheap because of a neck break(that had been pro repaired).  I went and checked it out, it was great, I bought it and used it at gigs for about 3 years, alternating between it and my Les Paul.  The difference in weight made it a relief to pick up for a set and I sold it again with no trouble(making it very clear about the neck break/repair).  I've kind of wanted another one ever since but can't justify it for what I'm doing now(and all the other guitars I already/still have).

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7672
    SGs are lovely as long as they have a small s/plate, otherwise they look horrible (IMHO).
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    edited December 2013
    A friend of mine has got a low-end Gibson SG (I think it's one of the Faded ones? It's brown.)
    Its unplugged, acoustic sound is unlike any other solid-body I've ever heard. I've never heard it plugged-in, but I'm kinda fascinated by it. He said, "I'm not really into the Gibson thing any more. You can have it for £350 or so." I was a bit tempted.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    £350 is a good price I think, but then I really like the faded series. Lovely stripped down, no nonsense guitars.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7472
    edited December 2013
    ICBM;103790" said:
    [quote=Skipped]Sunburst/Quilt/Flame does not look right on an Sg but nobody knows why.
    Sunburst/Quilt/Flame does not look right on a *guitar*, but people insist on doing it :).
    [/quote]

Blasphemy!

Balls, mobile screwed the pic...
  • There isn't a single guitar made better with a quilt top, particularly stuff like SGs and Fenders.

Flame is ok as long as it's not really high contrast bold chevrony. But still not on SGs and Fenders.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Damnit, I'm gassing for an sg, now!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7083
    My SG is a little neck heavy ever since I added a set of Grovers. However I suspect that where you have the strap button at the neck end has some bearing on 'neck dive' as well.

I have some locking Grovers and I was thinking of adding them to the SG as I'll be gigging again in the new year hopefully with new band and it'll be easier for restringing.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    stonevibe said:
    My SG is a little neck heavy ever since I added a set of Grovers. However I suspect that where you have the strap button at the neck end has some bearing on 'neck dive' as well.

I have some locking Grovers and I was thinking of adding them to the SG as I'll be gigging again in the new year hopefully with new band and it'll be easier for restringing.

Put a vibrola on the other end, balances SG's up a treat!
    ;)
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    usedtobe said:
    This place is like using a pub for Alcoholics Anonymous meetings.
  • stonevibe said:

It's a good point. I tried a set of Rotomatics on my SG and it went from totally ok to "holy shit where's the neck gone?" overnight. I had a set of Tonepros Klusons in the post the same day! Definitely makes a big difference. I assume the big headstocks on the '61s don't help matters either.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Thanks to @impmann and a little trade, I now have one of these beauties:

Obviously the above pic is just one off t'internet, not had chance to take a photo of it as yet.

I did have a Gibson LP Studio Tribute with P90's, and didn't care for the P90's much, but these are very different - no buzz (to my dulled ears) and a really comfy neck.  Lovely.

Does anyone know when the SG Classic first came out?  I know they've been reissued a few times...

Many thanks impmann.  :)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rox said:
    usedtobe said:
    This place is like using a pub for Alcoholics Anonymous meetings.
    I was fine until this thread, I've since been placing wanted ads for an SG 3 pickup custom in Ivory......bugger :(

• I love SG`s but I struggle not with body shape but the controls on them, they always seem too close together for gigging.
  • tbmtbm Frets: 578
    Rox said:
    Thanks to @impmann and a little trade, I now have one of these beauties:

Obviously the above pic is just one off t'internet, not had chance to take a photo of it as yet.

I did have a Gibson LP Studio Tribute with P90's, and didn't care for the P90's much, but these are very different - no buzz (to my dulled ears) and a really comfy neck.  Lovely.

Does anyone know when the SG Classic first came out?  I know they've been reissued a few times...

Many thanks impmann.  :)

Nicely done. SG Classics are gems. I love mine. Think they first appeared in the late 90s.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited December 2013

Somebody buy this and let me know what its like. I'm not into signature guitars but for a shade under £1200 this has a lot to offer.

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/gibson_captain_kirk_douglas_roots_sg_electric_guitar.asp?gclid=CIbEnYLoxLsCFSKWtAodtnAAcw

Outside of the coil tapping and the turn toggle for the middle pickup volume, its also :

Grade-A mahogany body,  Rosewood fingerboard with pearloid block inlays,  three '57 Classic humbuckers, Grover 14:1 r

Somebody buy this and let me know what its like. I'm not into signature guitars but for a shade under £1200 this has a lot to offer.

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/gibson_captain_kirk_douglas_roots_sg_electric_guitar.asp?gclid=CIbEnYLoxLsCFSKWtAodtnAAcw

Outside of the coil tapping and the turn toggle for the middle pickup volume, its also :

Grade-A mahogany body,  Rosewood fingerboard with pearloid block inlays,  three '57 Classic humbuckers, Grover 14:1 r

My very mild OCD doesn't like 2 sets of humbuckers with screws one way, and the other the other way.  And I can't play anything with a middle humbucker... thus, I shan't be reviewing it for you.  :D
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    I have never really gotten into the shape/style of this guitar, I don't know why. Add to that the stories about neck heavy balance (I know this isn't in everyones case) but it doesn't inspire me to think 'I must go and try one of those SG's)
  • Rox said:
    My very mild OCD doesn't like 2 sets of humbuckers with screws one way, and the other the other way.  And I can't play anything with a middle humbucker... thus, I shan't be reviewing it for you.  :D
    I'm seriously considering buying that Kirk thing, having it refinished in white and fitting a new Gibson lyre bridge cover. It will still come in well under £1600 and you have a 1965 SG custom virtually identical to a VOS (which go for over £3k) with the advantage of a twiddly knob on the 3rd pickup and coil taps.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

I'm a big SG fan. I fell in love with Iommi's cherry SG with P90's and eventually made one for myself. The SG Carved Top I have is very nice, though. Thicker than a normal SG body, beautifully-shaped, no balance issues at all.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/Guitars/SGCarvedTop014.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/Guitars/SGCarvedTopNo3122009002.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/chillidoggy/Guitars/SGStdBKP92.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom