Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson SG Obsession

What's Hot

Comments

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    edited November 2014
    Rox said:
    I'm obsessed with the idea of getting a Gibson SG.  I can't bloody shake the hankering for one, and no matter what I tell myself, the feeling won't go away.

Even though the three or four Gibsons I've played have all been really unsuitable to me, and disappointing, I still want to find one that 'works'.  So far, the best SG I've played was a pancake-bodied, set neck, narrow nut, 1970's cheapo knock off that played and sounded superb.  And then I sold it to buy a Gibson and regretted it - never to see another since.

So I desperately want an SG... but are there any cracking non-Gibsons out there?  Or, can I be cured of this nonsense?  :D

Mind you, those new Pelham Blue Epiphone SG's with the Maestro trem look stunning... (apart from the anaemic rosewood fretboard):

I know it's poor form to quote yourself... but I got my hands on one of these today... and the fretboard (far from being anaemic like the one in the photo) is a deep, dark rosewood.  The Vibrola keeps tune marvellously, and the finish is lovely.

PLUS, the humbuckers are coil tapped with two push-pull pots.

It's a lot of guitar for very little money S/H. 

Recommended!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    This is mine, and while being a Les Paul man, I really do love this SG
    edited November 2014
    @underdog - is that a Classic or a Special?  Nice.  :)
    Rox;430862" said:
    @underdog - is that a Classic or a Special?  Nice.  :)
    From memory it's an Epi '61 reissue anniversary, or something like that. Changed the pickups for some iron gear I got on here and it's fantastic. Really comfortable play and sounds great.
    Epi really do some nice stuff these days.  :)
    edited November 2014
    Rox;430868" said:
    Epi really do some nice stuff these days.  :)
    Yeah they do I bought the SG and an Epi LP tribute plus in the same month both brilliant guitars, though the LP had to make way for a vermillion in the end, but the SG has a home for life.

Always gutted I never bought an Epi 57 reissue junior when they were released too
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited December 2014
    Bucket said (in December 2013):
    Can never, ever get on with that fucking shape. It's just too small and out of proportion, the balance is terrible.
    How things change, eh? This is mine.

The balance is kind of terrible, but hey. I love it.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12292
    Rox said:
    usedtobe said:
    Damnit, I'm gassing for an sg, now!
    This place is like using a pub for Alcoholics Anonymous meetings.
    I was fine until this thread, I've since been placing wanted ads for an SG 3 pickup custom in Ivory......bugger :(
    This was mine, Japanese Tokai, ridiculously fat neck, I quite miss it actually. I sold it to LustyCourtier IIRC

"OUR TOSSPOT"
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Gru;112468" said:
    I have never really gotten into the shape/style of this guitar, I don't know why. Add to that the stories about neck heavy balance (I know this isn't in everyones case) but it doesn't inspire me to think 'I must go and try one of those SG's)
    @gru They're worth trying. You might be pleasantly surprised. And they're not all neck heavy.
    Had a blast on the Epi SG w/ Vibrola this morning, and even ignoring the coil tapped sounds, this is a great bit of kit.

The Vibrola is much, much better quality than I expected, and although there are some design differences to an original, the thickness of the metal used is consistent with an original.  (in fact, it seems to stay in tune better than an original!)

When you consider a replacement blank llong vibrola (Allparts, for example) will cost around £100, the secondhand price of one of these Epi's is irresistible. 

The only quibble I'd have is the finish.  Oddly, the quality of the finish is really good, but it doesn't look really good.

Basically, the Pelham Blue looks like it's been sprayed onto the bare wood, and then the poly finish has been applied.

This means when you look at the guitar, it looks like it has lots of lumps and bumps - but when you get your hands on it, it's super smooth.  So it's one of those optical illusions that just feels a bit weird.  Because you can see all the lumps and bumps, BUT it's so smooth, your brain can't help but think it looks dusty, when it isn't.  It's very hard to describe.

The darkness of the rosewood board surprised me; the promo pictures I'd seen of these all showed a light fretboard, which tends to put me off - but this board is as dark as my 69 Gibson MM/SG and a late 80's Burny.  Very nice.

The pickups sound great, and at the moment, I have no intention of swapping them out.

These are definitely a lot of guitar for the money (especially at S/H prices!) but the finish will be an acquired taste.  The photos make it look quite different to what you see in person.

Pics to follow...  ;)
  • I've no experience with SG's other than a friends Epi, the set neck seemed "flexible"- you could bend it notes and out of tune with ANY pressure on the neck. I've heard that this isn't unheard of for SG's, has anyone else experienced this? Or could he have had a lemon with a bad neck join?
    It's a shame- It was one of the best playing guitars I've ever tried, but I was always terrified that the neck was going to come off!

@Bucket Is that the Vintage Icon Jr copy? (i can't quite make out the brand on the headstock). How is it? I've been offered one & am sorely tempted by it.
    Some can be a bit thin, but not that flimsy unless you're Townsending around.  :D  Of course you can use that to your advantage by using it for some bends.  :D
  • I've always loved the SG. Never had an Angus Young or Iommi obsession but I've tried a few out and enjoyed them all.
  • Really dislike the look of them. They scream 'rock' to me - just not my thing.

That said, a friend of mine owned a '61 SG Junior (when they were still officially 'Les Pauls') and it was definitely one of the very best sounding electric guitars I've ever played.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited December 2014
    @Bucket Is that the Vintage Icon Jr copy? (i can't quite make out the brand on the headstock). How is it? I've been offered one & am sorely tempted by it.
    It is - following a pickup change (the original one barely worked at all) it's great. Really nice for the money.

@richardhomer My SG Junior GAS was kickstarted by my dad, who used to have a '62 LP/SG Junior until a couple of years ago!
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    i find SG's the most comfortable of my guitars to play...i have no issues with balance and the thicker neck is reassuring in my hands...with a nice pair of P90's i don't there are many guitars that come close to its growl...

here's mine btw...
    1reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    I find SGs to be the most versatile Gibsons - I've done a country gig with mine!! Seriously, that slightly thinner sound has a bit of underlying twang which can be really useful.

To me they are the ultimate psychedelic guitar - and they just feel so damn comfy live. Plus get them in front of a loud amp and they just become alive in your hands - easy to run away into musical feedback and long singing sustain.

Wonderful instruments.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2014
    @impmann - Indeed - with the Vibrola, it can be a Surf machine too.

I love them, but it's been quite a tough job finding the right one for me.  I seem to remember getting a Classic from somewhere... ;)

Now I've got this Epi (which is very good indeed) and the SG/MM, I've found two that do everything SG's can do - and even though the SG/MM has a baseball bat neck, it's very comfy (I usually hate big necks).

The Epi feels like the 70's set-neck copy I adored and the pickups really have plenty of bite.
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    edited December 2014
    Great thread this. My first "good" guitar was a very early 70's SG, I thought it was a Standard when I bought it somewhere around '73, but it turned out to be a "Professional", as I remember, a model of that era which didn't last very long. Later I bought another 70's SG, a '72 I think, with those embossed humbuckers, which I used exclusively when touring all over Germany and Austria in '80/81, (yes I'm getting on a bit). Before I went, I had that guitar personalised with a new ebony fretboard, crown inlays replacing the blocks, and a sunburst finish. It looked great with its cream DiMarzio replacement pickups and surrounds. Anyway that got sold in the mid eighties, and I didn't own another SG until a couple of years ago when I bought a '10 SG Classic. I still can't believe the quality of this guitar for the money; a proper glossy cherry nitro finish, mine has a one piece body, is easily as resonant and playable as my high end and vintage Fenders and Gibsons, and it cost me under 700 quid. Yes the body shape isn't quite vintage correct, and it has the batwing 'guard, but it's a great guitar, and there's nothing wrong with those P90's at all. A modern gem.

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1810
    I picked up this a few weeks back, SG Original - basically a 61 RI with Vibrola, apart from the very very shoddy set-up which is currently in being sorted by local tech/wizard/genius its great!!

I too have had many an SG over the years and very much like @Misty above, my first "proper" guitar to go out gigging with was an early 70's SG standard with a Bigsby, great guitar which I loved to bits until something else that was obviously "better"......came along and it got sold.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom