Orange CR120 - impressed

What's Hot
bigfuzzbigfuzz Frets: 45
So at the rehearsal studio at the weekend I was given a CR120 with a 4x12, first time I've played through one. I have to say, it sounded MUCH better than I was expecting. 

Was it just me? I've been browsing them to buy for myself...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    They do sound very good.

What's quite puzzling about them is that they're not digital - they're plain old analogue solid state, and from the pics I've seen of the insides they don't contain any types of components that haven't been available since about the 1980s at the latest...

... so why has it taken this long either for someone to make a solid-state amp that sounds this good, or alternatively to make people actually listen before judging them. (Because there have actually been good-sounding solid-state amps before, too.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    edited August 2016
    My YouTube guilty pleasure 'Dave' has a series of vids where he gets his cr120 to sound like various artists

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tuscan777Tuscan777 Frets: 125
    I use one at the place we rehearse, same set-up, and I'm perfectly happy with it. Big, warm sounding cleans which are a great pedal platform - not used the OD channel though.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    I have it's smaller brother, the CR60C, and have to say that I am very pleased indeed with it.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    i had a CR120...and it was great...the dirt channel and the clean were both brilliant.

why i sold it? not too sure now, because i wanted to fund a fender combo, which i've also sold now...
  • DaveMonDaveMon Frets: 26
    I've had the CR120h for nearly 12 months now, and I love it!
    Used as my main amp and I have only just started to use a couple of pedals with it (an OD and a fuzz).

Definitely recommended by me.
    Cheap, simple to use, and no maintainance.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    I use one at my practice space on the odd occasion, and while it misses some of the low end rumble and warmth of it's valve driven counterparts, it's great value. Using it with a Pharaoh sounds immense. If I didn't have a backup amp already I'd probably snap one up.
  • Tuscan777Tuscan777 Frets: 125
    ICBM said:
    They do sound very good.

What's quite puzzling about them is that they're not digital - they're plain old analogue solid state, and from the pics I've seen of the insides they don't contain any types of components that haven't been available since about the 1980s at the latest...

... so why has it taken this long either for someone to make a solid-state amp that sounds this good, or alternatively to make people actually listen before judging them. (Because there have actually been good-sounding solid-state amps before, too.)
    I agree. Are there any other examples of contemporary amps that manage this?
    Not sure about current production - analogue solid state seems to have taken a back seat to digital modelling now - although the Peavey Transtube series are very good too. I think the previous series was better than the current one though, and the best were the original 'square cabinet' ones from the late 90s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    For solid state, I've been searching for a Sunn Beta Lead for the past year or so, but no luck whatsoever. Can't find one anywhere. Not even in the States!
    Dopesick said:
    For solid state, I've been searching for a Sunn Beta Lead for the past year or so, but no luck whatsoever. Can't find one anywhere. Not even in the States!
    Hilbish designs is doing a Sunn Beta preamp...you should check those out

http://hilbishdesign.bigcartel.com/product/beta-preamplifier

you can run it through a valve power amp and it would be pretty cool!

as for Peavey...yes agreed, the old transtubes are awesome. I've had this since the 90's and its still going strong and sounds amazing.
    Dopesick said:
    All the stoner rock dudes have bought them up...

ICBM said:
    Dopesick said:
    All the stoner rock dudes have bought them up...
    i know...first batch didn't even make it to the website!

he's making another batch, which i think will go the same way.
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    any more opinions on the Orange CR120 ?    I'm considering getting the head.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    edited August 2016
    bigfuzz said:
    CR120... I have to say, it sounded MUCH better than I was expecting.
    Was it just me? I've been browsing them to buy for myself...
    I got one as an emergency last year when my JVM410h went down one night and I had a festival to play the next day.
    I've been using the Orange ever since.
    It took a wee bit of getting used to because it handles pedals differently AND the FX loop is different -- I don't know how -- but once I stopped using the loop on the CR120 I've not looked back.

One of the things about the CR120 which is important is how the Master Volume really affects the overall tonality and not just the volume.  For me, the MV has to be at least "11 o'clock" or it sounds a bit weedy.  Above that point:  happy days and it's all good; loads of sounds to play with.

So, it took a while to get it exactly how I like it, including the "right" pedals, but hey, what a brilliant amp. 
    (And so much physically lighter than a 100W Marshall head -- nice bonus!)

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    This sounds interesting, but has anybody used the overdrive sounds? Or are talking great clean sounds with pedals?

Also does anybody know if there's a line out? No mention of one on Orange's website so assume not..
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    edited August 2016
    clarkefan said:
    This sounds interesting, but has anybody used the overdrive sounds? Or are talking great clean sounds with pedals?

Also does anybody know if there's a line out? No mention of one on Orange's website so assume not..
    There's no line out.

My 2p's worth on the the channels, and the way it handles pedals: 
    The "clean" channel is only clean up to about 40%.  Once you get it past about 60% it's crunching up beautifully.  Sounds really good.  Beyond that it's sounding higher gain, more compressed.
    The dirty channel goes fully beyond "classic rock" and well into (what I would consider) metal territory.  Certainly in terms of gain, I dunno about tight low end or anything like that cos I just don't go there.

But, I feel this amp takes overdrive pedals differently to a valve amp -- there's less wiggle room. 
    If you bang an OD into it when it's already into its crunch performance you just won't notice the pedal -- the amp just goes to compression.  This is really noticeable on the dirty channel.  But even on the clean channel, if you've got one pedal giving you OD already then it's difficult to get a second one to take you into "solo boost" -- it will just get lost.

So, my own solution for live work (pub covers on the rockier/ punkier side) is:  play mostly on the clean channel just shy of crunch and use an OD (on most of the time) to get the dirt.  When you take it off it sounds clean in comparison.  And you've still got lots of dynamics for your playing.  And the "solo boost" comes from changing channel:  run the dirt channel pretty low gain but big on its volume -- instant boost.

And lastly there is no shortage of power from this thing which I did worry about initially, being SS and all that.  Even with a 2*12 you will be heard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    @Grunfeld  - thanks
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Yeah, great info, thanks @Grunfeld! :)
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Ty Tabor uses the CR120 so it's gotta be good.