Pick up rings

What's Hot
Hi ,

I need to replace the pick up rings on this :

Just wanted to check if all pick up rings are the same size and would I need flat or curved ?

Any help much appreciated..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13567
    how curved is the top of your guitar ?
    those look fine, and at < £3  - surely its worth a punt ?
    try Axetec, they may be able to offer some help/alternatives

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10259
    tFB Trader
    Sometimes ones intended for carve top LPs are too curved ... while flats are ... er ... too flat.
    An old luthier's dodge is to use low tack double sided tape to glue sandpaper cutting-face up to the top of your guitar ... over the pickup hole. Then gently rub your ring (er ... whoops .... ooooer) in the direction neck towards bridge and back ... not side to side .... till it's bottom profile exactly matches the top of the guitar.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sometimes ones intended for carve top LPs are too curved ... while flats are ... er ... too flat.
    An old luthier's dodge is to use low tack double sided tape to glue sandpaper cutting-face up to the top of your guitar ... over the pickup hole. Then gently rub your ring (er ... whoops .... ooooer) in the direction neck towards bridge and back ... not side to side .... till it's bottom profile exactly matches the top of the guitar.
    Thanks for the tip.

Its not particularly curved and not quite flat so looks like that maybe the way to go . 

I have always been advised to rub in the direction of the neck,side to side just doesn't have the same effect.  
  • Here's Dan Erlewine showing how it's done 

• WezVWezV Frets: 16654
    edited December 2013
    An old luthier's dodge ...

its not a dodge... its the correct procedure for best fit
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Should do the same with wooden based "floating" bridges.  From experience it can make a huge difference to tone. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10259
    tFB Trader

WezV said:
    An old luthier's dodge ...

its not a dodge... its the correct procedure for best fit

ESchap said:
    Should do the same with wooden based "floating" bridges.  From experience it can make a huge difference to tone. 
    Both absolutely correct.
    With some Ibanez Artcores it's the only way to get  ring to fit ... my 'A75 thin' has a front pickup surround with a flat front edge and a concave rear one!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    If there is only a slight curve on the guitar, a flat ring will adopt the shape as you (carefully) tighten the screws.
    Resist the temptation to "flex" the ring in your hand. I snapped an Over The Pond ring doing this.
    Does that sound bad?
    It gets worse.

It was the bridge ring.      :-O

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    edited December 2013

Skipped said:

If there is only a slight curve on the guitar, a flat ring will adopt the shape as you (carefully) tighten the screws.
    Resist the temptation to "flex" the ring in your hand. I snapped an Over The Pond ring doing this.
    Does that sound bad?
    It gets worse.

I've got a set of those and knowing how much they cost ... that was a VERY expensive mistake! 

Worth every penny though, they definitely improve the tone of an LP   >:D<

• Thanks for all the replies and the fine ring puns!!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16654
    Skipped said:
    Does that sound bad?
    It gets worse.

A thin neck pickup ring will shape itself as screwed down, but it introduces tension. that is why its not uncommon to see so many off these snapping, especially on older guitars with less stable plastics

Are OTP rings still about $350 a pair?