NAD, Markbass Minimark 802

RockerRocker Frets: 4942
edited March 2016 in Bass
Bought a Markbass Minimark yesterday. I needed a compact bass combo as space is at a premium in our music room. I will post pics later...
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    Nice
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670
    Any good ?

I do like Markbass stuff but I'm always interested as to how small speakers cope with the low notes.

Having said that the biggest sound I ever had when gigging came from my last MB combo which had 3 x 10" speakers so maybe 8" speakers manage ok.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    8" speakers work surprisingly well in the Markbass 802 that I bought. You can feel the air movement even at quite low volumes! I looked at a Phil Jones Bass combo too. It had 6 * 4" speakers, 4 on the front and 2 on the top. Great sound and surprisingly deep. Overall I preferred the Markbass as it was smaller than the PJB, cheaper too and 'good enough' for my somewhat basic requirements.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Modern bass speakers have evolved to the point where diameter is no longer the most important factor in low-end response, or even that important at all.

With very compliant suspension and a properly tuned cabinet, a small speaker can move as much air at the low end simply by moving in and out more, so the volume of air moved is the same as for a bigger speaker that doesn't move as much. Obviously a big speaker with the same amount of cone movement can still move more air, but it then just produces greater efficiency rather than lower frequency response.

I love those little MarkBass combos, they're astonishing for the size they are. The MicroMark is almost hilariously full and deep-sounding for only a 50W amp smaller than most old-fashioned guitar practice amps.

I really must get myself some MarkBass gear… if only people would stop giving me old Peaveys that still work (of course) but weigh a ton! 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson