Muffroom Cloud will be changing its name as of 1 Sept.

What's Hot
ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
in Made in the UK tFB Trader
So, having received glowing reviews from Premier Guitar (gear award), Guitar and Bass Magazine (editors choice) and loads of great feedback it appears the quality of our product has upset some people.

We have received a "Cease and desist" notification from a company that holds the Trademark for "Big Muff Pi" 

Whilst I am confident we are not in breach of any trademark, it is not worth it for us to fight this in the courts. It will cost us an obscene amount of money and distract from our business- i.e. making the best Guitar pedals we can.

So to that end, we are going to have to change the name of the Muffroom Cloud to something else as of 1 Sept. For those that have a Muffroom Cloud, congrats..... its now a limited edition. For those that want one..... be quick, I have a finite stock and it is likely to sell very quickly.

As ever, thanks for the support!!!

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
1reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    Can we have a competition to rename it??

:D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    Why not ask for some legal help from the guys on here? There has to be someone who would help.

They are only mad because you are taking some of their sales, I wouldn't just let them bully you. You aren't in breach of any copy right for muffroom cloud.
    I'd say make a response letter and possibly even try to get the media on your side.
    If it is the company I think it is then I'm sure they would give it up if it meant they wouldn't look so bad to the public
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    These definitely got my "gear of the show" award. 

The best fuzz I've tried by some margin.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    Can we have a competition to rename it??

:D
    yeah go on then.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I like "EHX can kiss my fat arse" as a name.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Mkjackary said:
    Why not ask for some legal help from the guys on here? There has to be someone who would help.

They are only mad because you are taking some of their sales, I wouldn't just let them bully you. You aren't in breach of any copy right for muffroom cloud.
    I'd say make a response letter and possibly even try to get the media on your side.
    If it is the company I think it is then I'm sure they would give it up if it meant they wouldn't look so bad to the public
    I have received advice on the matter, truthfully even if we were proven right a cross border legal argument would be expensive and time consuming. I'd rather smile, walk away and continue to make a great product albeit with a different name.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Welp, I'll not be buying any EHX products now. Wankers.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    I've suddenly developed an aversion to EHX products. No idea what caused it .
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    I hope Dunlop sues them for calling their wah a "crying tone".
  • It goes to show you're doing something amazing and they obviously feel threatened. Congratulations! ;-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    It's probably worth considering the publicity benefits of being threatened by a much larger company...
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    Do you have to take the FX from your name as it being 66% of the other company's name?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    It's probably worth considering the publicity benefits of being threatened by a much larger company...

Yes, issue a press release. ;)

hobbio said:
    Welp, I'll not be buying any EHX products now. Wankers.
    +1.
    tFB Trader
    DesVegas said:
    Do you have to take the FX from your name as it being 66% of the other company's name?

I'm sure that'll be next lol- I have my name trademarked though
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    ThorpyFX said:
    DesVegas said:

I'm sure that'll be next lol- I have my name trademarked though
    Clever lad!
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 448
    At least mine is a limited edition version now ;) I suppose at least you're making waves that the 'bigger' boys are taking note
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

Just call it the Mushroom Cloud and skew the S and H so the resemble an F.

Silly of them really. Judging by the responses above, this may cost them more than they were ever going to gain.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    That's a PI-ss take

But more seriously:
    Harmonic Boom 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    edited March 2016

But what's to stop them issuing the same order if you re name it anyway? Or is it as simple as you avoiding the word "Muff" in the name.

Another one never buying anything EHX! Twats.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Well, that's rather petty.  Definitely worth trying to get some publicity out of this though.

Rename it to "Pig Fluff", sod all they can do about that, but would probably make them wish they'd never asked you to change it in the first place. :D
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom