NPD - New Project Day -Telecaster - its FINISHED!!

What's Hot
impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
edited December 2013 in Making & Modding
Well, most of the parts are bought - so its time to introduce my latest build.

The body is a Guitar Build one finished with one of @andypwudtone 's brilliant Wudtone finishing kits (Dairy Blonde). I have to be honest, though, I didn't do the finishing!! I bought this body ready finished, but I have another body I shall be attempting in the new year with very similar graining from the same source. 

The neck is from Rod @Rockmonster - its a Squier CV 60s style neck and it looks lovely. I've just fitted it with a spare set of Kluson style machine heads I had kicking around. 

The scratchplate is a Tortie one that I picked up either on here or via MR (can't remember!), and the electronics plate came from a similar source.

The bridge is a brand new Fender US one, a bargain on Ebay!!

The electronics, neck plate and other miscellany have been ordered from AxesRUs and should arrive this week. Its gaining CTS pots and a four-way switch for series/parallel sounds.

Then there's just the pickups to buy... well, that's where I'm torn. Its definitely going to be a set of Ash's brilliant Oil City pickups - but which set? I've had a set of Hardman pickups in the Jeleguar (now with Jef Stonevibe) and they were superb, but my fave Tele pickup sounds are usually attributed to the early 50s pickups. Indeed my main Tele has a set of Seymour Duncan 'Broadcaster' pickups in it and it ticks every box... so perhaps the blonde should be different... I have been deliberating for about a week and I can't decide... I'm torn between a set of Honky Tonk Angels ('Broadcaster' style) and a set of 'Hardman'. What would you do?

A couple of crap iPhone pics for your delectation...

A close up of the body - it's even better in real life...

More soon, once I actually stop going around in circles about the pickup choice!! :-)
Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rprrpr Frets: 308
    edited December 2013
    Looking very cool -loving the finish.
    How bout one of Ash's tapped bridge pickups? It'll give you 50s vintage tone and hi output fun at the pull/push of  knob
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hey , love a dairy blonde tele. Thank you for the mention, and PS just in case you want to go way out the box fancy,something real special on the pickguard front , Just hooked up with Chris from www.customcooletch.co.uk husband and wife team in the north east. doing some real nice nickel silver etched guards. quite fancy one myself
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hey , love a dairy blonde tele. Thank you for the mention, and PS just in case you want to go way out the box fancy,something real special on the pickguard front , Just hooked up with Chris from www.customcooletch.co.uk husband and wife team in the north east. doing some real nice nickel silver etched guards. quite fancy one myself
    Wow!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    That looks great and a +1 for cool etch he is doing me a plate for a les paul junior which is a stunning piece of work

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    I love the idea of the tapped pickup... that just makes it more complicated for me!!! Now I have the Wapping Wharf to consider...

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9979
    edited December 2013 tFB Trader
    Just sent a set of Oil City pickups up to Chris at Customcooletch for his demo guitar :)

I get about see ... or rather me pickups do ....
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Decision taken... order placed... Honky Tonk Angels incoming. 

Can't wait to put it all together now. :-)

tFB Trader
    Will get those done asap geezer ... Katie the Oil City Christmas Elf will be in to help me out today :)
    May well get caught in the dreaded seasonal post though.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    That Tele's looking very nice.

Do yourself a favour and avoid those vile etched 'guards though :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • TheGuitarWeasel;104093" said:
    Will get those done asap geezer ... Katie the Oil City Christmas Elf will be in to help me out today :)

May well get caught in the dreaded seasonal post though.
    I genuinely envy her job. I'd love to have a go at winding!
    I'd love to have a go at pickup winding too, one day. It seems like its 1 part black art, 1 part science and 1 part fairy dust! (I mean that in a nice way, by the way).

Ash - I totally understand about the post, its a crap time of year to be building the guitar really!! :-)

tFB Trader
    Katie's still being trained at the moment .... so I can't let her loose on customers' winding jobs ... but she's doing some assembly, final testing and packing ... and every little helps :)

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7472
    edited December 2013
    Katie's still being trained at the moment .... so I can't let her loose on customers' winding jobs ... but she's doing some assembly, final testing and packing ... and every little helps :)

Plus, you're little enterprise has created 
    a) a small UK business with expansion
    b) Something with genuine training opportunities in to provide work to other people (or even just a single person). 
    c) Said work is suitable for a younger member of the work force, meaning one person less on jobseekers.  When she is fully trained, she'll be able to assist your expansion further and design other pickups.  Which will help your business expand a little more and you might need another part timer to train...

It's brilliant!  I'm glad I've seen (sadly not all of) the ride.

Also, I have guitars.  I'm more than happy to do 'final testing' ;)
    tFB Trader

Plus, you're little enterprise has created 
    a) a small UK business with expansion
    b) Something with genuine training opportunities in to provide work to other people (or even just a single person). 
    c) Said work is suitable for a younger member of the work force, meaning one person less on jobseekers.  When she is fully trained, she'll be able to assist your expansion further and design other pickups.  Which will help your business expand a little more and you might need another part timer to train...

It's brilliant!  I'm glad I've seen (sadly not all of) the ride.

Also, I have guitars.  I'm more than happy to do 'final testing' ;)
    I think I may well be calling on more customer for testing in the near future :)

Count me in Ash

• Chris_akaBBBChris_akaBBB Frets: 6
    edited December 2013
    :-*
    Its finished. BIG thanks to Ash for getting me the pickups in time for Xmas - and for making quite simply the finest pickups available... wow, what a tone.

I'm going to have the frets dressed/stoned as there are a few rattles currently, but otherwise I declare my blonde finished!!

Some pics for your delectation...

Close up for the Wudtone finished body with Oil City Honky Tonk Angel pickups

With two of her sisters - the Black one started off life in 1972 at the Fender plant but has been through a few make overs since, and the murky grey/green thing started off life in Indonesia in 2000 and now sports many changed parts and is Nashville tuned.

I'll be making a start on my Jazzmaster project in the new year.... fun fun fun. :-)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Excellent :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    Its finished. BIG thanks to Ash for getting me the pickups in time for Xmas - and for making quite simply the finest pickups available... wow, what a tone.

Glad you got em ... and glad you like em :)

• Cor, nice!