Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone in touch with JXG?

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24267
    £100 to a tracing agent. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richhrichh Frets: 450
    One thing that may make it a bit easier, is his rather unusual middle name 'Xavier' ?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31581
    Does he still play with that band? Might be worth taking a couple of Hell's Angels to a gig. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    richh said:
    One thing that may make it a bit easier, is his rather unusual middle name 'Xavier' ?
    Yes, but the last electoral-roll-registered appearance for his full name was 2013. If he dropped it when moving, he's in with the regular John Gills, and there are lots of 'em!
  • starwarsnosebleedstarwarsnosebleed Frets: 2357
    edited January 2017
    p90fool said:
    Does he still play with that band? Might be worth taking a couple of Hell's Angels to a gig. 
    Yes, thats it....ask two big, bearded bikers if they would like to accompany you on a night out for a couple shandies. :)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This whole thing is a shame...hope the lads out of pocket get something sorted.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6904
    edited January 2017
    As someone who also has an ongoing build with @JXG ;;I really hope it doesn't come to an unpleasant ending.

I feel your frustrations @goldtop I'm sure he'll come good - eventually. All I can suggest is keep trying!

Previously known as stevebrum
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Yes, really uneasy reading this. I have had dealings with John in the past and he's been a top fellow indeed. I hope he is ok but I also hope that the chaps waiting on guitars or with outstanding guitars get them too. An email or call outlining any problems would certainly help I think. What an unpleasant situation.

Have you heard form John recently @Iamnobody?
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6904
    miserneil said:
    Yes, really uneasy reading this. I have had dealings with John in the past and he's been a top fellow indeed. I hope he is ok but I also hope that the chaps waiting on guitars or with outstanding guitars get them too. An email or call outlining any problems would certainly help I think. What an unpleasant situation.

Have you heard form John recently @Iamnobody?
    Sadly not heard anything since we agreed on my build at the end of Oct. I'm hopeful though! I can't afford to lose the deposit and I'm sure John has his reasons for the silence. I'll point him to this thread in an email...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26575
    edited January 2017
    I hate to say it, but...this is a common occurrence with guitar builders. It's very, very easy for them to offer guitars at great prices, but then they get a whole lot of orders and forget how to do "business". Pretty soon, they end up with every order that comes in covering the cost of the previous guitar they haven't finished yet, and eventually they find themselves so far in the hole that they can't face talking to another irate customer and just disappear.

I'm not saying that's what's happened here, but it's almost a carbon copy of every other time I've seen it. It happened with a local guy who was building guitars, but took in a friend's 1960s Strat for some TLC. It took three years (and a lot of fighting) to get it back, and when it came back half the hardware had been replaced with cheap Squier stuff - the guy had sold the parts to pay other customers back. It's currently still going through court; that Strat was supposed to be a nest egg for his kids, and now it's almost worthless.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    to bump this thread, I've just sent an email to John checking if he's ok as he's been building me a guitar since October that had an ETA of December, with pretty much full price paid up front, Johns done work for me in the past with great success, but it's unusual to see such a radio silence from home, he's had health issues in the past that have caused him working problems, but even then he normally responds. His work shop phone number appears to be cut off now.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    OK, so it's taking me time to keep on top of this, but I did send him the 'Letter before Action'. No response so now it's Small Claims time. :(
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    He's been posting on Facebook during July ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Indeed he is, and earlier this year on FB he was encouraging people to get out and vote in the General Electrion. Which makes me hopeful of finding out his home address.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24267
    This lot will probably find him in under an hour

http://www.longmereuk.com/

They are very good.

About time for another update; not good news.

Today, I applied for a CCJ against John Gill (filed at money claim online). Have heard nothing at all for > 6 months and he did not file a defence against my claim at court. I asked for the court to order him to pay in full (approx £800) by 1st Nov. If not, then it'll be bailiff time.

(I have had occasional PMs from others posting here, and rather than share their details, I'll just summarise by saying no-one has told me of any success in getting a guitar/refund since I started this thread.)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12312
    Hope you get sorted mate. What makes this so sad is that JXG have done some stellar work and now his reputation is in tatters. Excuses just don't wash any more though.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtop said:
    About time for another update; not good news.

Today, I applied for a CCJ against John Gill (filed at money claim online). Have heard nothing at all for > 6 months and he did not file a defence against my claim at court. I asked for the court to order him to pay in full (approx £800) by 1st Nov. If not, then it'll be bailiff time.

(I have had occasional PMs from others posting here, and rather than share their details, I'll just summarise by saying no-one has told me of any success in getting a guitar/refund since I started this thread.)
    Thanks for the update.

Hope you get your dough back at some point soon. 
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Good luck chap these people need to be taught a lesson.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4258
    Had spoken to @goldtop via pm about my experiences. Was pretty stressful to say the least. I left my '56 es175 in for a re-fret, travelled from Glasgow to Newcastle to drop it off. Said it would be max 2 weeks. Ended up getting it back around a year later after relentless calling, emailing etc. There were periods of 3 to 4 months, with complete radio silence. I had actually paid him most of the money up front as well. Stupid I know, but he seemed like he needed it. During that time, prob about 6 months after dropping it off, we agreed a pick up date and I actually went all the way down to get it, and he didn't show up...

He had issues with his back, but it does not excuse the compete lack of communication.

The only positive thing I can say, is that the refret was incredible. 
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom