Leslie West-Theme From An Imaginary Western

cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2533
Makes me feel old, was in '88. One of the best gigs I've ever been to. My mate Simon and me didn't know of all of the guitarists on the bill but we knew of Leslie West from Mountain. Leslie's performance was the highlight for me. Quite simply stunned by his tone and feel on the guitar. An emotional performance. So pleased to have found it on youtube.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    I saw Mountain about ten years ago (I think - although it might have been more given the way time seems to fly now…) and he was fantastic - at least his playing. His tone was a bit odd sometimes, he was using one of those little Zoom effects boxes mounted on a mic stand… still, it didn't really matter!

One of the real legends, from the days when guitar heroes seemed to be rated more for their melodic sense and feel, rather than speed and scale knowledge. (Not that it isn't possible to have both, but you know what I mean :).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Enjoyed that, thanks.  Spent my whole life chasing the 'violin' tone on Mississippi Queen :)
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    edited December 2013
    Nice!, I taped it (vhs),  1988 ffs! 'night of the guitars 1' iirc it was a great gig with many quality tunes/players. This one always stood out for me though, simple, sweet, driven, melodic playing!  thanks for bringing it back. :)
  • I've loved Mountain ever since I heard Flowers of Evil back in the early 70s. Not only was Leslie West a guitarist who played just what was right regardless of whether it was flashy, Felix Pappalardi was a good songwriter and a good bass player.

BTW There's a reasonably interesting version of Theme for an imaginary western on the 1994 Colosseum reunion gig dvd from Cologne
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Doug said:
    Nice!, I taped it (vhs),  1988 ffs! 'night of the guitars 1' iirc it was a great gig with many quality tunes/players. This one always stood out for me though, simple, sweet, driven, melodic playing!  thanks for bringing it back. :)
    Was that the one with Randy California? I have a very vague recollection of seeing him on one of those sort of things.
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    dogload said:
    Doug said:
    Was that the one with Randy California? I have a very vague recollection of seeing him on one of those sort of things.
    Possibly, But there were two, The first also had Wishbone Ash, Pete Haycock and.....I've forgot! Lol!  :-O
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2533
    edited December 2013
    I think they both played guys. I remember Steve Hunter and Steve Howe too.

Just looked, it's available on Amazon. A must buy for me.