Online tutorial courses

Does anyone subscribe to any online guitar teaching sites? Anyone got any preferences....or should I stick with the stuff on the tube?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    Justin Sandercoe's channel is excellent. It's clear, accessible, accurate, relevant and enjoyable really.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Lick Library have a decent range of styles and lessons on DVD. You get them on eBay from time to time.

What are you looking to learn?
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• Lick Library have a decent range of styles and lessons on DVD. You get them on eBay from time to time.

What are you looking to learn?
    Anything. I'm of an age where I don't think I will reach total mastery of any playing genre! I like all kinds of playing styles but have a leaning to people who can play jazz voicings. But anyone who can make a nice sound, in any style, on a guitar is OK with me.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Take a look at

https://truefire.com/

http://www.licklibrary.com/

Also as mentioned Justin Guitar 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073

Martin Taylor's Artistworks site might be worth a look if you like jazz - it's not the cheapest but watching Martin play on the vids is worth the entrance fee on its own. To try for a month is about £20 I think. He doesn't spoon feed you though so you do need some prior experience. It's supposed to be video exchange where you swap vids with Martin (although I don't do that). 

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    I use jamplay and find it seriously excellent. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Dabble in Truefire, which is excellent.

Signed up to Jimmy Bruno Guitar Workshop (I'm also a mod) - his bluff style not for everyone, but great for Jazz guitar
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7415
    Truefire is outstanding - the new scroll-tab-thing they've added makes some courses even better now 
    Red ones are better. 
  • I use true fire and with a 30 day free trial they are definitely worth a go. Justin Sandecore is also brilliant, i used his site the I first started out.

Check out robin Fords courses on true fire if you are into jazz voicings 
  • Thanks to the nod to Truefire. I currently make use of Justin Sandercoe.
  • I'm a member of Mike Outram's site: The Electric Campfire. I used to have one-to-one lessons with him as part my course when I studied music at RWCMD, and luckily I've been able to continue studying with him through the site, even though I'm hundreds of miles away. I really love the course, and studying with Mike has transformed my playing and understanding of music theory.

The material is excellently presented and covers a lot of unique and interesting approaches to improvisation, music theory, practice methods, as well as "music philosophy", amongst other things. The members there form a very active community, and new lesson content is added frequently. I can't recommend it highly enough. There's a fair chunk of free material on the site too, including this cool example lesson. 

http://www.electriccampfire.com/chord-tone-improvisation-the-gateway-to-musical-connections/