Mandolin/Mandola/Octave

What is the difference in the string tension between these 3 types of instruments?

Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7762
    I've only noodled on Mandolins and Mandolas, with mandolins being stiffer. Depends on setup of course. their applications are pretty different. Mandola's are primarily rhythm instruments in Celtic music and their role is very specific usually. 

Are you trying to pick one to play?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    I play mandola- unlike many mandala players I play it as a melody instrument as well as a rhythm instrument.
    Mandolin is higher tension but it isn't loads.
    I can't play mandolin due to the fret spaces and my fat fingers.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    I've only noodled on Mandolins and Mandolas, with mandolins being stiffer. Depends on setup of course. their applications are pretty different. Mandola's are primarily rhythm instruments in Celtic music and their role is very specific usually. 

I've had 2 mandolins in the past and have let them go mainly due to the string tension, so I was wondering if a Mandola was the way to go. 
    Regards, playing Mandolas, I'd assume if you are playing something like Red Haired Boy then the Mandola would harmonise a fifth below a fiddle line?

I've had 2 mandolins in the past and have let them go mainly due to the string tension, so I was wondering if a Mandola was the way to go. 
    Regards, playing Mandolas, I'd assume if you are playing something like Red Haired Boy then the Mandola would harmonise a fifth below a fiddle line?
    It is pitched a 5th below, if you play in standard tuning.
    Personally I don't play mandolin lines a 5th below in harmony- I don't think it sounds very nice (google 'consecutive 5ths').
    What you play depends on what you are trying to do.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    octatonic said:

Personally I don't play mandolin lines a 5th below in harmony- I don't think it sounds very nice (google 'consecutive 5ths').
    I just googled it and it appears to be forbidden! I take it you are not playing in standard tuning?
    octatonic said:

I just googled it and it appears to be forbidden! I take it you are not playing in standard tuning?
    Mostly not.
    I keep one mandolin in standard, the rest are in 4th's.